European plug adapters

realnice46

We just bring dollar store European adaptor plugs with us and use them. They are small and lightweight. The North American plug end plugs into the adaptor  and the other end plugs into the European plug outlet in the cabin.  By doing this we can usually double our useable electrical outlets in the room for the cost of a couple of dollars.

56 minutes ago, realnice46 said:

We are sailing Celebrity Eclipse and they have 2 European plugs by the desk. Do I just need adapter to be able to charge our iPhones, iPads etc? Any particular brand or style?

Just be certain that anything with a North American plug that you plug into the Euro》N.A. adapter is rated for operation at 110-240V, give or take.  If good that way, any inexpensive Euro》N.A. plug adapter will work.  You want a very vanilla version like these:

https://www.amazon.com/Unidapt-European-Adapter-Converter-adaptor/dp/B077WJYNQ5

Edited by canderson

And I don’t recommend the universal international adapter. They are just too bulky, may not fit because of their size if there is a restriction around the plug. when used in a vertical plug, they can fall out because of their wt. 

i ordered a few Euro adapters, and a few UK and Australian types. Then take what I need for that trip. And for cruising as the OP has asked about and others have suggested, a few Euro Type C adapters. 

den

• Like 1

On 8/28/2022 at 8:19 PM, realnice46 said:

We are sailing Celebrity Eclipse and they have 2 European plugs by the desk. Do I just need adapter to be able to charge our iPhones, iPads etc? Any particular brand or style?

You can just use but first you need to look at what your are plugging in.   The voltage must be 120-230 V marking.   Some older adapters are only 120 and you will fry them.   Most modern chargers and computers are dual voltage. 

I had an older Roku and the power source was just 120. 

• Like 2

On 8/28/2022 at 11:08 PM, canderson said:

That's another good choice.  With no ground, it won't run afoul of the surge protection issue.

Those actually do have a ground, though they don't have surge protection.  The Type E/F Shuko plug has ground via the two spring clips on the outside of the round part of the plug, that mate with the similar spring clips in the outlet.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

You can just use but first you need to look at what your are plugging in.   The voltage must be 120-230 V marking.   Some older adapters are only 120 and you will fry them.   Most modern chargers and computers are dual voltage. 

I had an older Roku and the power source was just 120. 

Also double check any hair appliances you may bring. I purchased a new one this summer that is only 120 V.

1 hour ago, snowballs mom said:

Also double check any hair appliances you may bring. I purchased a new one this summer that is only 120 V.

You need a transformer if you use it in Europe.  Probably cheaper to go out and purchase a 110/230v one just for travel.

6 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Those actually do have a ground, though they don't have surge protection.  The Type E/F Shuko plug has ground via the two spring clips on the outside of the round part of the plug, that mate with the similar spring clips in the outlet.

Dang - you're right.  Should have pulled up a rotated view.  Wish I could clearly read the text molded into the back of the case.  The side view didn't show any protruding spring.

Rotated.jpg