Opinions on Houston (IAH) Layover

groundloop

We're flying from ATL to SFO in a couple of weeks for a cruise and are supposed to have a 1 hour layover in Houston (IAH).  I'm beginning to question if that's enough of a safety margin and wonder if I should look into changing the second leg to a flight that leaves 2 hours later.

The currently booked flight on United leaves ATL at approx. noon on a Tuesday, arrives at IAH at approximately 1:30 PM, and connecting flight departs IAH at approximately 2:30 PM.  I'm considering changing the second leg to a flight that departs IAH at approximately 4:30 PM.

Thoughts?    

Did a 75 minute layover in IAH this summer on a Saturday, when the airport was jammed, with no problems. While United has a lot of gates in several wings of the airport, I think you can make a 60 minute layover, unless you have mobility issues. 

If you are concerned about your connection, I wonder why you aren't on one of the 7 daily non-stops from ATL to SFO on Delta.  Is this a ticket bought through the airline or the cruiseline?  In any case, there may be some significant fare differences if you change at this point in time.

I would want more than an hour at IAH, but you should be OK as long as you do not dawdle.  Be sure to get a good look at the layout of IAH before you fly, and have the UA app on your phone to confirm any possible last minute changes.

Edited by FlyerTalker

• 4 months later...

I traveled through IAH for years and 60 minutes is sufficient time but not plenty.  As somebody else said, you should have no problems if you can walk at a normal pace (but it can be a lengthy walk).

If you have special needs (i.e. wheelchair or a slow walker), the later flight would be the safer choice.  And the restaurants in terminal E are not too bad (as airport restaurants go), although nothing like One Flew South in ATL.

13 minutes ago, dw86419 said:

I traveled through IAH for years and 60 minutes is sufficient time but not plenty.  As somebody else said, you should have no problems if you can walk at a normal pace (but it can be a lengthy walk).

Of course, we have not heard back from the OP, who would have taken his flights a couple months ago.

• 1 year later...

Variation on the question. Looking to fly domestic USA to KIAH and then on to Australia [business class] on Dec 15th [before Christmas rush!?]. Both legs are United and from ITA Matrix, it looks like a terminal change. As it stands now, the layover is 2 hrs. Having never been to KIAH, plus flight tracking info on the domestic leg does not show any history, plus the understanding that I can take an elevated shuttle and negate the need for security screening on the Australia leg, will we have enough time? Flights times are 16:45 to 18:25 and then departure at 20:25.

Thanks kindly for the counsel.