eclipse still in port 10;25pm on 28th ???????

c-legs

6 hours ago, vermonter16 said:

Yes, but were the workers already on strike?  

The workers for Seaspan (one of two bunker fuel operators and one of four tug assist operators) were already on job action/strike.

From what I've heard on the news (and please correct me if I heard wrong), Seaspan contracted out some other company to move the fuel barge in place to refuel.  However, after the refueling, the workers for the other company didn't want to move the fuel barge in solidarity with the Seaspan workers.  So the barge got stuck beside the Eclipse.

15 hours ago, rangerette said:

Why do you have to be snarky? I did say I’m not familiar with ship operations in an attempt to avoid the snarky response. Are they allowed to dump sewage while in port? I suspect not and so what happens when that fills up? There may also be other things they can’t really operate effectively while sitting in port which may affect the comfort of those on board. If you are an expert in ship operations then maybe just answer the question without being snarky.

Quite right.

To set your mind at rest X's ships are able to go for days without discharging anything into the sea - several routes require this for example, the Great barrier reef, Baltic Sea up to St Petersburg etc.

Solid waste (from the toilets) is compacted and dried. The ship has huge holding tanks. Next time you cruise I would recommend you attend a talk by the Captain usually entitled "how ships move" but covers lots of other facts. Better still if the Environmental Officer gives a talk that will cover a while host of interesting topics. On Solstice Transpacific an EO held a coffee break talk every morning on sea days. The passengers who attended regularly got to choose the topics - very, very informative.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, rj59 said:

Reminds me of the I was on the HAL Zuiderdam and it was surrounded by eco protesters in inflatable rafts and kayaks in Kiel, Germany, and was delayed by 8 hours or so. There was a lot of ugliness with pax cursing and taunting the people and calls for violence, which made me sad and ashamed and not want to cruise again for some time. Strikes are something to plan for and to make sure you have a Plan B, especially in European countries, or with protests, as with a cartel rampage in Baja Mexico recently, or simply with hurricane season approaching. Even last September I sailed to Alaska from Seattle on a beautiful Friday, but the Princess ship that left on Sunday had to spend the first night in Seattle because of severe storms off Vancouver Island. A HAL cruise I was on was delayed overnight by azipod damage, and there are all the ships underpowered in Alaska this summer because of damaged engines or hulls from lack of parts or ice damage. I regret skipping a Crown Princess cruise that included Glacier Bay, because the Princess people on here were having meltdowns because it skipped a port and had engine limitations, with people demanding compensation and refunds and the CEO's head on a platter (or maybe that was a different mob riot, perhaps when they stopped providing pillow chocolates). 

Just curious.

How exactly do you plan for strikes?

Why "especially in European Countries"?

We have had only one really "difficult" situation which was caused by a passenger mutiny - it was deemed a mutiny because of threats made to hang the Captain. The mutiny was quelled with passengers confined to the brig and when that was full in their cabins with crew stationed outside the doors. A considerable number we disembarked in Ushusia. The ship was Infinity in February 2010.

• Thanks 1

With all the B.S. coming from Canada, this tug boat strike being the latest to inconvenience passengers and force changes on itinerary, why don't the cruise lines say goodbye to Canada? I know Congress would have to eliminate the passenger act  I believe  Representative Murkowski has or will be introducing a bill to permanently eliminate it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

With all the B.S. coming from Canada, this tug boat strike being the latest to inconvenience passengers and force changes on itinerary, why don't the cruise lines say goodbye to Canada? I know Congress would have to eliminate the passenger act  I believe  Representative Murkowski has or will be introducing a bill to permanently eliminate it.

Long story.  Just know they can't.

52 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

That would be perfect. The sailings from/to Seattle are so smooth. Could even do San Francisco or Los Angeles.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

The oil companies have proposed similar for the Jones act. They want to be able to sail directly to ny if a hurricane hits the gulf or deliver directly to save money. Unions say no and this particular govt in charge is pro union. The union ships charge 4 times more. Some foreign flagged ships now schedule a stop in the Bahamas. If they wouldnt allow oil ships to sail directly because it would cost the unions, wouldnt happen for cruises which are less necessary.

5 hours ago, the penguins said:

Just curious.

How exactly do you plan for strikes?

Why "especially in European Countries"?

We have had only one really "difficult" situation which was caused by a passenger mutiny - it was deemed a mutiny because of threats made to hang the Captain. The mutiny was quelled with passengers confined to the brig and when that was full in their cabins with crew stationed outside the doors. A considerable number we disembarked in Ushusia. The ship was Infinity in February 2010.

Sorry to be off-topic but I'm curious as to what the mutiny was about? Not looking for long explanation but can't find info on it...a link will suffice if you have one.

Thanks!

22 hours ago, Fly and Sail said:

Protesting is to picket in front of a business. Not holding several thousand people hostage who paid good money for their vacation. This is nuts but nothing surprises me in Canada anymore, one reason why I left. My condo has a nice view of the Eclipse right now though.

That is literally how strikes work. It sucks to be caught up in one, but simply protesting doesn't tend to make much impact. Causing disruption is how things change.

I have sympathy for the passengers but I respect the rights of workers to effectively bargain for their contracts. 

• Like 11

1 hour ago, SusieV said:

That is literally how strikes work. It sucks to be caught up in one, but simply protesting doesn't tend to make much impact. Causing disruption is how things change.

I have sympathy for the passengers but I respect the rights of workers to effectively bargain for their contracts. 

I don't. I was in Vancouver when workers started to picket in front of the Hyatt early in morning. Annoying. A fresh morning shower then originated from my balcony.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Fly and Sail said:

I don't. I was in Vancouver when workers started to picket in front of the Hyatt early in morning. Annoying. A fresh morning shower then originated from my balcony.

Wow. You're a sweetheart, aren't you.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

They indeed cannot.  Issue is docking berths.  They need Vancouver. 

They don't need Vancouver, they could also do Victoria or some other token stop. The very best would be to indeed get congress to authorize a permanent PVSA waiver. Cruise lines won't employ all U.S. crew and that ain't going to change but this way most port revenues would stay in the U.S. so that's a win.

2 hours ago, wrp96 said:

From friend onboard, passengers have been offered the equivalent of 1.5 days worth of their cruisefare as onboard credit.

So were they able to leave Vancouver today? I hope so. I keep looking since yesterday to see if they were still stuck there. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fly and Sail said:

They don't need Vancouver, they could also do Victoria or some other token stop. The very best would be to indeed get congress to authorize a permanent PVSA waiver. Cruise lines won't employ all U.S. crew and that ain't going to change but this way most port revenues would stay in the U.S. so that's a win.

Are you anti-Canada?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

So were they able to leave Vancouver today? I hope so. I keep looking since yesterday to see if they were still stuck there. 

Yesterday, it was reported here on this thread 24+ hours ago.