Crew & Masks

I had the plain vanilla variety of COVID in February 2020, and it was pneumonia, and it took almost 4 months to completely go away.  Never want that to happen again, so I'm a solid masker except eating and drinking, or being outside with some distance.

I would imagine the crew on most ships will decide based on their age, general health, and whether they've had COVID already.  

• Like 6

14 hours ago, BND said:

Every single person I've known whose had this latest variant has had very mild symptoms.  DH and I as far as we know haven't had it, unless of course we're like a lot of people who have minimal or no symptoms.  We have only worn masks the last 2.5 years when required and never by our choice.  Crew even when wearing masks all the time have had positive cases.    There is a YTer named Jordan Bauth who is an ice skater.  She's had Covid twice onboard and was isolated in a guest cabin.  As far as I know, no crew is isolating in the crew area.  They are moved to guest cabins in the quarantine/isolation area.

Jordan's second bout of Covid was unrelated to cruising. She got it before she signed on to her current contract, she believes at a wedding. 

6 hours ago, Jasukkie said:

Jordan's second bout of Covid was unrelated to cruising. She got it before she signed on to her current contract, she believes at a wedding. 

I didn't say she caught it onboard.  I do watch her videos and am well aware of the wedding.  The point was she quarantined in a guest cabin, not her crew one.

Edited by BND

11 hours ago, pcur said:

I had the plain vanilla variety of COVID in February 2020, and it was pneumonia, and it took almost 4 months to completely go away.  Never want that to happen again, so I'm a solid masker except eating and drinking, or being outside with some distance.

I would imagine the crew on most ships will decide based on their age, general health, and whether they've had COVID already.  

Current strains are far different than the original and do not cause pneumonia.  It's more an upper respiratory infection, like a cold.

12 hours ago, pcur said:

If you truly don't want it to happen again then you may want to stay masked, get your food and drink to go and go back to your cabin.  To be extra safe just don't go anyplace there are other people.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Keksie said:

If you truly don't want it to happen again then you may want to stay masked, get your food and drink to go and go back to your cabin.  To be extra safe just don't go anyplace there are other people.

I could be reading your tone wrong, so if I am just let me know

but good lord, you can let @pcur take the safety precautions she wants to do without this sort of "Shaming" or whatever the tone of this post is. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, aubreyc1988 said:

I could be reading your tone wrong, so if I am just let me know

but good lord, you can let @pcur take the safety precautions she wants to do without this sort of "Shaming" or whatever the tone of this post is. 

I was just saying if pcur was that worried about catching covid ever again that taking a mask down to eat or drink while around others might not be the way to go about it.  I guess I don't understand people who want to be assured of never catching it, taking a chance being around others, taking masks down for any reason etc.  It is like the people I see going into the store with their masks firmly under their nose - why bother?

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Keksie said:

Thanks.  I think what I'm doing is working so far, and I've been traveling a lot since masking requirements eased up.  On my last cruise in May, I think there were very few passengers still wearing masks like I was.  I've also tested 19 times since mid-January, before and after travels, with 2 trips to see family with an unvaccinated grandson (too young until July).

I will wear a mask for sure in airports, on airplanes, and on cruise ships permanently.  I have friends I see regularly that are VERY susceptible to the COVID virus, even the vaccines and booster make them sick for almost a week.  One person got "mild" COVID after 2 vax and 2 boosters, and was sick for 3 weeks with severe congestion.  I'd rather wear a mask and not deal with the guilt of taking the virus to them.  This means I wear masks everywhere as described above to keep them safe, too.

So far this has all worked, but I'm adaptable...............

Edited by pcur
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm very sure I've never had it. Always KN95 mask outside home and always tested for a while after any concern like travel or indoor gathering. And yes, on my last cruise in May I masked for travel to/from and on the ship and brought food back to my cabin and ate there... and had a great time.

That said I know the current variant is taking down folk who have been super careful.

Edited by twins_to_alaska

On 9/1/2022 at 7:05 AM, late2cruisin said:

Glad to hear this, since we'll be on Quantum next week. We plan to mask also (well, except when we're eating and drinking!) We haven't had Covid yet, and not even a cold for almost 3 years...and I'd like to keep it that way!

You can wear that mask 24/7, doesn't mean it's going to help

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, twins_to_alaska said:

I'm very sure I've never had it. Always KN95 mask outside home and always tested for a while after any concern like travel or indoor gathering. And yes, on my last cruise in May I masked for travel to/from and on the ship and brought food back to my cabin and ate there... and had a great time.

That said I know the current variant is taking down folk who have been super careful.

"Taking down" is pretty dramatic for what it currently is.  It's giving people mild cold like or flu like symptoms for a couple of days.    My sister currently has a virus that almost gave her pneumonia and it's not Covid.  It was not quite to pneumonia when she went to her Dr.  She's on antibiotics and is much sicker than anyone I know whose had the current variant.  

• Like 4

By taken down I just meant caught.

But one example, healthy young active person who tested positive last Sunday thinking they'll just work from home for the week and a week later lying in bed, not having been able to work or enjoy any of the luckily work paid for sick time, hoping the congestion, cough, fever, sore throat, and aches have subsided enough that they can finally sleep for a few hours at a time.

I'm sure folk are grateful their friends and loved ones had an easier time of it.

My experience with friends who have had it is similar to twins' friends.  All healthy vaccinated twenty and thirty somethings who have tested positive for the first time in the past several months have spent a week in bed and said it's the sickest they have ever been.  The vaccine itself totally knocks me out of commission for between three and seven days.  So no,  I do not want covid,  ever. 

• Like 1

My experience with friends who have gotten it is completely the opposite of the two examples above.  Women who are 50+, vaccinated, maybe boosted, various health problems have reported a day or two of congestion, headaches and feeling tired.  All were feeling fine by day 3 or 4.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, twins_to_alaska said:

By taken down I just meant caught.

But one example, healthy young active person who tested positive last Sunday thinking they'll just work from home for the week and a week later lying in bed, not having been able to work or enjoy any of the luckily work paid for sick time, hoping the congestion, cough, fever, sore throat, and aches have subsided enough that they can finally sleep for a few hours at a time.

I'm sure folk are grateful their friends and loved ones had an easier time of it.

I know many people who have claimed the same thing in order to have their paid time off as well when in reality it was more like seasonal allergies or mild cold symptoms. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, pawmtweez said:

My experience with friends who have had it is similar to twins' friends.  All healthy vaccinated twenty and thirty somethings who have tested positive for the first time in the past several months have spent a week in bed and said it's the sickest they have ever been.  The vaccine itself totally knocks me out of commission for between three and seven days.  So no,  I do not want covid,  ever. 

If the mRNA vaccines make you very sick, then it's likely that you had "original recipe COVID" prior to being vaccinated.  People who had COVID before the vaccines came out (like me) were recommended to get the J&J vaccines because it had fewer side effects and its efficacy was increased when combined with naturally acquired antibodies.  

Last week, my daughter (who also had original recipe COVID prior to the vaccines) had some mild symptoms like a headache, sinus congestion, and sore throat.  She took a COVID test Monday and it was a weak positive, but then on Tuesday it was negative.  Saturday, I started having the same symptoms and have tested negative every day.  My wife is not sick at all.  I suspect we both have Omicron, but with the vaccines and antibodies, it's not enough of a viral load to pop positive on a test or make us really "sick".