Ncl and parents controlling unruly kids on pearl this summer?

sullyd

In my opinion (others may see things differently) is the bottom line in all of this is that when you have so many people mingling together with lots of alcohol flowing and children out of their element and seniors that don't need a scooter at home and don't know how to use one on the ship  there are bound to be instances where people are impacting (negatively) the cruise of others. Some things are an easy fix like moving far away from crying children but others not so much. My own pet peeve is sitting next to a table that each person (men and women) have heavily doused themselves with different colognes and perfumes to the point it is hard to smell all of this as the same time as eating. At least one person has doused themselves with layers and layers of Jean Nate. I like Jean Nate but just a dab, not like a person took a bath in it. LOL Oh and don't forget the people who use a steak knife as a toothpick LOL.

Are there better options for families with young'uns?  Probably.  Disney and Carnival come immediately to mind.  I also think it is not ship dependent.  To me, NCL Pearl is just another of the jewel class ships.  So, I think the ship itself is irrelevant.  

But, what does make a difference is the itinerary and time of year you're sailing.  Bahamas/Caribbean when school's out?  Yeah...there will be children.

As far as ones I've encountered on any ship, it's clear that the parents of those little orcs....errrr...I mean angels...all believe they have raised the best kids in the world and it's everyone else's children who are the problem.

I don't have issues with kids on ships, except when they throw tantrums, get in other passengers' way, or generally think the entire ship belongs to them (BTW, that goes for adults, too).  Little Johnny or Janey throws a hissy fit in the MDR because their hot dog isn't served to them the right way....and the parents allow them to do so, I think public shaming and shunning by crew members is in order (joking)!

Disney, in particular, is made for kids....to a lesser extent, so is Carnival.  All the rest of the cruise lines offer some things for the kids to do.  But, it's more an afterthought.

This reminds me of a cruise the GF and I took many years ago on Royal's Allure of the Seas.  Anyone who has been on that ship knows there is a beautifully landscaped area around Central Park.  Family with 3 probably under 5 year olds was talking among some others in the area, while 5 feet away, their little cherubs were climbing all through the dirt and plants, spilling ice cream cones and sodas all over the place, while screaming at each other.  Their family adults acted oblivious.  

Finally, a crew member came by and asked the parents to remove the kids from the area.  They did, for about 3-4 minutes, and then it was back to the destruction scene that was happening previously.

Felt sorry for the staff.  I'm sure the area is both costly and delicate to maintain.  A simple removal of the kids would have sufficed, but that wasn't to be.  It made us feel sad as it was a beautiful area.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

…Felt sorry for the staff.  I'm sure the area is both costly and delicate to maintain.  A simple removal of the kids would have sufficed, but that wasn't to be…

Parents should do what parents are supposed to do and that is exercise some control over their younger children. It is very difficult for the staff to intervene for fear of guest reprisal and complaint. Whilst dining in Le Bistro, a pre-teen decided to urinate on the restaurant wall. The staff were aghast but said and did nothing. One of our dining companions, a Special Needs teacher, who we had met early that day, sized up the situation, realized the child had ‘challenges’, spoke up and literally ordered the parents to remove their child from the restaurant which they did. Unfortunate situation for the child, family, staff and guests but all involved carried on…

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Crown Vic said:

Parents should do what parents are supposed to do and that is exercise some control over their younger children. It is very difficult for the staff to intervene for fear of guest reprisal and complaint. Whilst dining in Le Bistro, a pre-teen decided to urinate on the restaurant wall. The staff were aghast but said and did nothing. One of our dining companions, a Special Needs teacher, who we had met early that day, sized up the situation, realized the child had ‘challenges’, spoke up and literally ordered the parents to remove their child from the restaurant which they did. Unfortunate situation for the child, family, staff and guests but all involved carried on…

That is too bad.

I'm a parent.  I know what it's like with young kids.  Sometimes you just need a reprieve from them.

But, there is a line that's not to be crossed.  In your scenario, special needs or not, that line was smashed and the behavior of both parents and child is inexcusable. That's true of all families with kids.

Insisting on taking a child to LeBistro probably wasn't a good idea to being with.  The kids don't care.  And, as a parent, it's probably not going to be enjoyable because you're busy "baby sitting".

While it should, it never seems to occur to some how their kids interactions on  a ship (and the parents' subsequent inaction) will affect other guests.  It's like the ship is all theirs...oblivious that there are thousands of other guests cruising with them.

Bottom line, 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

That is too bad...While it should, it never seems to occur to some how their kids interactions on  a ship (and the parents' subsequent inaction) will affect other guests.  It's like the ship is all theirs...Bottom line, 

👍  👍 graphicguy…

• Like 1

If you're cruising over holidays or summer recess you have to expect families with children. So if you want a quiet Cunard type experience than, you know what, cruise Cunard. It's silly to expect parents to have their kids attached to their hips the entire cruise or for kids to just not be kids.  And I'm talking minors up to age 18 or so, not just very young children. Of course that doesn't mean run wild but it you're expecting young people to not be young people that's not going to happen. Heck I see a lot of older people with really poor behavior on cruises, berating staff, the chair hogs, etc. Goes both ways.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CruizinKittie40 said:

As a mother and grandmother, I will never understand why people bring young kids on a cruise.  Why would you do that to yourself lol 

For us, it was because we wanted to cruise and didn't have a wonderful grandmother like you who was willing and anxious to take the kids for a week  Also, if we cruised by ourselves, that would burn all of our vacation time at work, so the kids would be left with no vacation. Those days are in the very distant past now and we prefer to cruise kid-less (sorry grandkids). 🙂 

3 hours ago, CruizinKittie40 said:

As a mother and grandmother, I will never understand why people bring young kids on a cruise.  Why would you do that to yourself lol 

I was a "stay at home" mom....so going on a cruise with my son wouldn't have been a vacation.  For "working moms"....it's a time to be with their kids.