Update to all vegetarians!!!

Ombud

12 hours ago, Buckeye10640 said:

Anybody here gluten-free AND vegetarian?  If so how did that work out? Planning to take my vegetarian and gluten free daughter next year.  I have traveled with someone who is gluten  free before so aware of the whole  'order the night before' routine but combining  both restrictions further limits option. Thanks

I am!

We spent 2 weeks on Sky Princess last year, and I wrote a blog post about it. On the whole they're very helpful, and if nothing suitable on the menu they will basically cook you whatever you want as long as your order the night before. I even managed to order GF mozzarella sticks, which were very nice!

Watch out for parmesan - I'm not sure where you are travelling to/from, but in Europe, parmesan is not vegetarian (in order to be called parmesan, it has to be made the traditional way, which is using animal rennet). A lot of the vegetarian dishes on the menu have parmesan, but seeing as I was getting a lot made from scratch I just asked for no parmesan to be used.

Anyway, if you want to have a read of my experience, then it's here. Hopefully you find it helpful. I've put up pics of menus etc too.

https://glutenfreetravelwithme.com/category/princess-cruises

• 2 weeks later...

As the 15 days went on I noticed that the standard menu was vegan and 1 of the daily options was as well. Some GF. Now that I'm home I can hardly wait to make that vegan onion soup (ex with challah & cheese so I guess it'll just be vegetarian) 

• Like 3

On 9/4/2022 at 4:49 AM, Ombud said:

This makes me so happy 😊 ☺ 

last nights menu listed mussels as vegetarian so I asked my waiter if they were made out of mushrooms. He said no as vegetarians often ate shellfish. Nope. Pescatarians will eat fish, vegetarians will have eggs & some cheeses. Vegans just don't. So he brought me this menu -->20220903_201253.thumb.jpg.401053988a18a0e44e461ce17251fc2f.jpg

All items can be made vegan!!!!! Thats day 8 for tonight, i had D7 yesterday 

Do you know what whipped vegetable cream is? I do not eat dairy. Also, please let me know if you try the French Onion Soup because I will would love some.  I am super excited to see this menu!  Thank you!  

Edited by MsSoCalCruiser

2 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Do you know what whipped vegetable cream is? I do not eat dairy. Also, please let me know if you try the French Onion Soup because I will would love some.  I am super excited to see this menu!  Thank you!  

Soup was so good I had it 3 times in 15 days. Twice as my main dish.  Whipped vlegetable cream was vegan. I won't be back onboard until December but would live to know what it is. Looking forward to someone finding out

• Thanks 1

On 9/7/2022 at 4:23 PM, DavidsNana said:

Yes it was tough for him the first time, very scary.   I wasn't with him. At first they thought it was shellfish but nope.  Tested negative for everything and then the allergist said let's try something and so he did a blood test as this Alpha Gal is discovered via a blood test.  Sure enough that is what it was/is.  He was always a meat and potato guy so he still hates it.  Some people can get over it if they aren't bitten by any of the ticks in a year and can be retested to check.  Some never get over it.  He lives in the country in Tennessee, lots of ticks there so unlikely he won't be bitten as he goes hunting with friends.  Thank heavens he does like fish, shellfish and poultry.

Yes, I too learn lots of new things from these boards and we will definitely meet with the head waiter when we get on.  This will be his 4th cruise but the first since this allergy.

They will take excellent care of him in the MDR and buffet.  I have a rare allergy that I developed as an adult.  I feel safer in the MDR and buffet than I do in restaurants on land.  

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Soup was so good I had it 3 times in 15 days. Twice as my main dish.  Whipped vlegetable cream was vegan. I won't be back onboard until December but would live to know what it is. Looking forward to someone finding out

I can’t wait to order the soup. The whipped vegetable cream sounds really interesting. If you can remember please let me know what you find out. Thanks so much.