Update to all vegetarians!!!

Ombud

19 hours ago, vjmatty said:

And billco thanks for the tip on Beyond Burgers, I’ll have to check out the next live thread to see if the Regal has them. 

And make sure they cook them in an area they do not cook the meat burgers and other meat offerings.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, sonomaphil said:

There is absolutely no way the French onion soup is vegetarian. 

Prior to this menu, we have special ordered the evening before the onion soup to be made vegetarian. In other words, without beef stock.

Of course, it is necessary to ask if the onion soup on this menu is or is not made with beef stock.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, caribill said:

And make sure they cook them in an area they do not cook the meat burgers and other meat offerings.

Good point. I'll remember to ask next time. On the Enchanted last Spring we had lunch at the Gastropub 3 times. I don't think there were more than 3-4 other tables occupied. I don't think people wanted to spend $18.00 PP for lunch. On last month's cruise the Gastropub was closed for technical reasons.

6 hours ago, caribill said:

Made without beef broth but including the cheese, it is vegetarian.

However, it would not be vegan.

I realize that. My statement was only referring as to how authentic French Onion soup is made. I was vegan for many years.

Sailing the Caribbean Princess April 2023.  Will have to be very careful and explicit when finding out how things are made.  My grandson has an allergy to red meat, called AlphaGal for short.  He does have to carry Epi pens as if he eats anything containing any red meat product, he goes into anaphylactic shock.  Even if his food is cooked on a grill where red meat is cooked it can trigger a reaction.  This allergy is triggered by the bite of the Lone Star tic and he did not have it until he was 18 years old.  Thanks for mentioning that the French Onion soup is traditionally made with beef stock.  I never thought of that and it is also nice to know that they can make it without and it still be tasty.  This cruise will be an exercise in vigilance regarding his eating both on the ship and ashore. Thanks again for the info.

26 minutes ago, DavidsNana said:

Sailing the Caribbean Princess April 2023.  Will have to be very careful and explicit when finding out how things are made.  My grandson has an allergy to red meat, called AlphaGal for short.  He does have to carry Epi pens as if he eats anything containing any red meat product, he goes into anaphylactic shock.  Even if his food is cooked on a grill where red meat is cooked it can trigger a reaction.  This allergy is triggered by the bite of the Lone Star tic and he did not have it until he was 18 years old.  Thanks for mentioning that the French Onion soup is traditionally made with beef stock.  I never thought of that and it is also nice to know that they can make it without and it still be tasty.  This cruise will be an exercise in vigilance regarding his eating both on the ship and ashore. Thanks again for the info.

I would recommend meeting with your dining room manager the first day and explaining exactly what you've told us. Make sure he (or she) knows everything that is being served to your grandson. The waiters mean well but many just aren't that aware.

I would also recommend NOT eating ashore. Your staff there will most likely have English as a second language and may not comprehend the seriousness of his allergy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@DavidsNana If you haven’t already done so you can log into Cruise Personalizer, click on “check in” and then select “dietary requests” to alert Princess to the allergy. You will still need to speak with the head waiter the first day but Princess will make the notation on your booking as well.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2022 at 3:36 PM, voljeep said:

is being vegan/vegetarian a 'medical condition' choice, or just a personal choice - definitely not a thread-hijack here, sorry

EDIT - I guess I'm asking what happens if you eat something not vegan/vegetarian?

It can be a health choice and/or an ethical choice.

And unless allergic, it won't kill you if you eat something that ends up having say a meat stock.

• Thanks 1

I can post but I cannot respond sometimes.

Took 2 port days to get this to 'take'

@Jadn13 I'm on Enchanted Princess 

A few other questions answered,:

Yes the onion soup is vegan!! I had to ask for cheese. 

Menus have vegetarian & vegan dishes. No pescatarian ones

I got the menu by informing the waiter that fish / shellfish cannot have a V as in the animal / plant / rock world it's animal. I've had 4 very different menus now but order dessert off the standard one as I'm not keen on vegan ice cream 

I became vegetarian as it was just to hard to find kosher chicken.  Never ate mammals

The 1st few nights I had a paper menu handed to me. But now I have Santorini table #87 (midship deck 5) available for me to arrive between 6:30-8 every night and have the vegetarian menu in the regular folder waiting for me. I get there at 7:1

• Like 1

On 9/5/2022 at 4:55 PM, DavidsNana said:

That has to be tough for a kid - tougher than most allergies. I had no idea this existed. I learn something new from these boards every day. Yes - French Onion soup is definitely made from beef stock unless otherwise ordered.

Definitely meet with the head wait staff when you get on ship.

Edited by Coral

On 9/5/2022 at 7:30 PM, Shelly97060 said:

@DavidsNana If you haven’t already done so you can log into Cruise Personalizer, click on “check in” and then select “dietary requests” to alert Princess to the allergy. You will still need to speak with the head waiter the first day but Princess will make the notation on your booking as well.

We always do that but I've found it means next to nothing once we're on board. Someone from Princess' special services department used to call to verify but they haven't done that in years.

Still, it can't hurt.

On a side note - Shelly97060 - how do you get the @screenname feature to work?

Edited by chamima

52 minutes ago, chamima said:

On a side note - Shelly97060 - how do you get the @screenname feature to work?

@chamima to use the feature:  when creating a reply or response with a quote just type the “@“ and start typing the screen name. Members names that match will begin showing up on the screen, keep adding letters to the member name until the member name you want shows on the screen. When you see the member name you want click on it to select.  Hope this makes sense!  

• Thanks 1

@Ombud Thanks so much for taking the time/making the effort to say something to the waitstaff and find out that the new menu is an option.  My sister and I have been vegetarian for many, many years and usually vegan at home.   The lack of proper labeling on the menus and at the buffet has been one of my pet peeves for a while.  

I am really hoping this will be an option on our upcoming cruise on the Royal.  I am so excited to have more choices especially tofu and Indian dishes.

• Like 1

Just now, Coffeehound510 said:

@Ombud Thanks so much for taking the time/making the effort to say something to the waitstaff and find out that the new menu is an option.  My sister and I have been vegetarian for many, many years and usually vegan at home.   The lack of proper labeling on the menus and at the buffet has been one of my pet peeves for a while.  

I am really hoping this will be an option on our upcoming cruise on the Royal.  I am so excited to have more choices especially tofu and Indian dishes.

They had a whole section of veg and Indian dishes in the buffet on the Crown recently.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Coral said:

That has to be tough for a kid - tougher than most allergies. I had no idea this existed. I learn something new from these boards every day. Yes - French Onion soup is definitely made from beef stock unless otherwise ordered.

Definitely meet with the head wait staff when you get on ship.

Yes it was tough for him the first time, very scary.   I wasn't with him. At first they thought it was shellfish but nope.  Tested negative for everything and then the allergist said let's try something and so he did a blood test as this Alpha Gal is discovered via a blood test.  Sure enough that is what it was/is.  He was always a meat and potato guy so he still hates it.  Some people can get over it if they aren't bitten by any of the ticks in a year and can be retested to check.  Some never get over it.  He lives in the country in Tennessee, lots of ticks there so unlikely he won't be bitten as he goes hunting with friends.  Thank heavens he does like fish, shellfish and poultry.

Yes, I too learn lots of new things from these boards and we will definitely meet with the head waiter when we get on.  This will be his 4th cruise but the first since this allergy.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DavidsNana said:

Yes it was tough for him the first time, very scary.   I wasn't with him. At first they thought it was shellfish but nope.  Tested negative for everything and then the allergist said let's try something and so he did a blood test as this Alpha Gal is discovered via a blood test.  Sure enough that is what it was/is.  He was always a meat and potato guy so he still hates it.  Some people can get over it if they aren't bitten by any of the ticks in a year and can be retested to check.  Some never get over it.  He lives in the country in Tennessee, lots of ticks there so unlikely he won't be bitten as he goes hunting with friends.  Thank heavens he does like fish, shellfish and poultry.

Yes, I too learn lots of new things from these boards and we will definitely meet with the head waiter when we get on.  This will be his 4th cruise but the first since this allergy.

They say we can develop allergies at any time or overcome them. This seems to be true. 

He had one smart allergist. I have done the allergy tests a few times (both patch and blood) - I have never heard of this.

I hope his cruise is uneventful in a good way!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Coral said:

He had one smart allergist. I have done the allergy tests a few times (both patch and blood) - I have never heard of this.

Alpha-Gal syndrome has actually been in the news (both medical and public news) quite a bit over the past few years. There seems to have, unfortunately, been an increase in Alpha-Gal syndrome from Lone Star Tick bites.  They're actually a super common tick in a lot of places.  It is really quite scary because the allergies are typically super severe.   Hopefully, even allergists that are not in states where this tick is present are now aware and checking for it when the patient's symptoms point in that possible direction but I wouldn't be surprised if many people discover this after an ER visit and may not even need to get as far as an allergist.  

• Like 1

I'm super excited about this menu too! I was laughing at the font though because it looked like a little kid wrote the title. Haha. 

I have tried the vege burger poolside, and although I'm easy to please, I have to say it was disgusting and mushy, so never ordered it again. However, hearing that Salty Dog has Beyone Meat, I'm definitely going there. Beyond Meat is my favorite.  And I wouldn't mind trying the quinoa one. I know Royal Caribbean has a secret vegetarian menu with really good options. I think the cruise lines are getting better at that area! Getting ready for a December cruise so will try out all the new options.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Travlin grrl said:

I'm super excited about this menu too! I was laughing at the font though because it looked like a little kid wrote the title. Haha. 

I have tried the vege burger poolside, and although I'm easy to please, I have to say it was disgusting and mushy, so never ordered it again. However, hearing that Salty Dog has Beyone Meat, I'm definitely going there. Beyond Meat is my favorite.  And I wouldn't mind trying the quinoa one. I know Royal Caribbean has a secret vegetarian menu with really good options. I think the cruise lines are getting better at that area! Getting ready for a December cruise so will try out all the new options.

We like most of the food on Princess but I agree, the veggie burger is disgusting. There was a veggie taco option poolside on our last cruise that was good, though.

(FWIW - Celebrity has a really good veggie burger in their outdoor grill)

4 hours ago, chamima said:

We like most of the food on Princess but I agree, the veggie burger is disgusting.

We have found that the veggie burger in the dining room is quite different from the one at the Lido Deck hamburger place

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 9/7/2022 at 7:01 PM, minabruuke said:

Alpha-Gal syndrome has actually been in the news (both medical and public news) quite a bit over the past few years. There seems to have, unfortunately, been an increase in Alpha-Gal syndrome from Lone Star Tick bites.  They're actually a super common tick in a lot of places.  It is really quite scary because the allergies are typically super severe.   Hopefully, even allergists that are not in states where this tick is present are now aware and checking for it when the patient's symptoms point in that possible direction but I wouldn't be surprised if many people discover this after an ER visit and may not even need to get as far as an allergist.  

Yes, this is becoming more and more common around the country and moving west so I too have been hearing more about it on the news lately.  My grandson had his first attack almost 10 years ago and when he told me about it, I had never heard of it.  Had to do a search on the computer and read up.  Something we should all be at least aware of and protect ourselves from tick bites if possible. 

• Like 2

Nana,  I have family in Tennessee, and wonder about sensitivities.  And, unfortunately, food and other sensitivities are not always taken seriously.  I would love to know if you family had a really great food allergist that you can recommend.  I think this is a bigger issue in West TN?   But if this Allergist is in middle TN it might be worth driving to appointments.

Anybody here gluten-free AND vegetarian?  If so how did that work out? Planning to take my vegetarian and gluten free daughter next year.  I have traveled with someone who is gluten  free before so aware of the whole  'order the night before' routine but combining  both restrictions further limits option. Thanks

• Like 1