Update to all vegetarians!!!

Ombud

This makes me so happy 😊 ☺ 

last nights menu listed mussels as vegetarian so I asked my waiter if they were made out of mushrooms. He said no as vegetarians often ate shellfish. Nope. Pescatarians will eat fish, vegetarians will have eggs & some cheeses. Vegans just don't. So he brought me this menu -->20220903_201253.thumb.jpg.401053988a18a0e44e461ce17251fc2f.jpg

All items can be made vegan!!!!! Thats day 8 for tonight, i had D7 yesterday 

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 4

45 minutes ago, Ombud said:

last nights menu listed mussels as vegetarian so I asked my waiter if they were made out of mushrooms. He said no as vegetarians often ate shellfish. Nope. Pescatarians will eat fish, vegetarians will have eggs & some cheeses. Vegans just don't. So he brought me this menu -->

Veggie Burgers are hardly a Princess Favorite and I would verify the French Onion Soup is not made from beef stock. Hopefully, this will be available fleet wide. Also, the Salty Dog Gastropub serves Beyond Burgers on some of the newer ships.

Edited by billco
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, vjmatty said:

Thank you for this! Sailing on Regal CC next month so I’ll be sure to ask. 

And billco thanks for the tip on Beyond Burgers, I’ll have to check out the next live thread to see if the Regal has them. 

Sorry, but Regal doesn't have them.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, billco said:

Veggie Burgers are hardly a Princess Favorite and I would verify the French Onion Soup is not made from beef stock. Hopefully, this will be available fleet wide. Also, the Salty Dog Gastropub serves Beyond Burgers on some of the newer ships.

The veggie burger is a joke but has anyone had the Quinoa burger?

• Like 2

Tofu isn't popular with everybody, but it is with me. I'm no vegetarian, but I've had some really tasty tofu preparations on Princess ships. Last cruise, I got an appetizer that was breaded, fried tofu with some salad components and terriyaki. Yummy. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, sonomaphil said:

There is absolutely no way the French onion soup is vegetarian. 

You can absolutely make French Onion soup vegetarian (I have done it) but in this case I might ask to speak to a dining room manager. Often the waiters might not know ingredients.

We are vegan/vegetarian so I'm really familiar with dealing with this. If there really is a menu that changes nightly I would be beyond thrilled!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, chamima said:

You can absolutely make French Onion soup vegetarian (I have done it) but in this case I might ask to speak to a dining room manager. Often the waiters might not know ingredients.

We are vegan/vegetarian so I'm really familiar with dealing with this. If there really is a menu that changes nightly I would be beyond thrilled!!!

is being vegan/vegetarian a 'medical condition' choice, or just a personal choice - definitely not a thread-hijack here, sorry

EDIT - I guess I'm asking what happens if you eat something not vegan/vegetarian?

Edited by voljeep

36 minutes ago, voljeep said:

is being vegan/vegetarian a 'medical condition' choice, or just a personal choice - definitely not a thread-hijack here, sorry

EDIT - I guess I'm asking what happens if you eat something not vegan/vegetarian?

My first inclination is to say I would start gagging until I could throw up. Fortunately, I carry a stomach pump for just those occasions.

Actually, for me it is a health choice, based on family history and a belief that animal products, particularly red meat contribute to atherosclerosis - stroke and heart attack. One grandfather died from a stroke in his early 70s, the other from a heart attack in his 60s. My older brother died of a heart attack in his 70s. All heavy meat eaters. Even though I have been a vegetarian for over 15 years, I had a stroke two years ago from a blocked carotid artery. Fortunately I had a good surgeon who cleaned it out and I have been fine ever since. I just turned 81. OTOH, my wife has a strong belief against eating anything that had a mother and also the animal cruelty involved in processing. 

I do eat seafood, she is much more stringent. If we found out we ate something not vegetarian, we would learn from it and move on.

Edited by billco
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, billco said:

My first inclination is to say I would start gagging until I could throw up. Fortunately, I carry a stomach pump for just those occasions.

Actually, for me it is a health choice, based on family history and a belief that animal products, particularly red meat contribute to atherosclerosis - stroke and heart attack. One grandfather died from a stroke in his early 70s, the other from a heart attack in his 60s. My older brother died of a heart attack in his 70s. All heavy meat eaters. Even though I have been a vegetarian for over 15 years, I had a stroke two years ago from a blocked carotid artery. Fortunately I had a good surgeon who cleaned it out and I have been fine ever since. I just turned 81. OTOH, my wife has a strong belief against eating anything that had a mother and also the animal cruelty involved in processing. 

I do eat seafood, she is much more stringent. If we found out we ate something not vegetarian, we would learn from it and move on.

so, you don't get violently sick or go into shock, like someone who has a peanut or dairy allergy?  Just trying to learn

8 minutes ago, voljeep said:

so, you don't get violently sick or go into shock, like someone who has a peanut or dairy allergy?  Just trying to learn

No. Having a stroke and losing family members was bad enough. In my case eating vegetarian is part of a healthy lifestyle along with exercise, weight control, etc.

Here is a good place to start learning.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/becoming-a-vegetarian

Edited by billco
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, billco said:

No. Having a stroke and losing family members was bad enough. In my case eating vegetarian is part of a healthy lifestyle along with exercise, weight control, etc.

Here is a good place to start learning.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/becoming-a-vegetarian

thanks - didn't go to the link, yet ... but now I understand it's a lifestyle choice, and not a medical choice like people who have to carry an Epipen and seek immediate medical attention if they somehow eat or are exposed to something they are highly allergic to.

43 minutes ago, voljeep said:

thanks - didn't go to the link, yet ... but now I understand it's a lifestyle choice, and not a medical choice like people who have to carry an Epipen and seek immediate medical attention if they somehow eat or are exposed to something they are highly allergic to.

It seems to be more of a health choice from Billco's comment. You make the comment without reading the linked article from Harvard Medical School...OK...

Edited by brisalta
  • Like 2

We only eat fish and seafood, but even that’s not often.  I choose not to eat meat or fowl because of the atrocities against animals in processing for human consumption.  It’s a choice we made in 1995 and never went back.  However, our sons and grandchildren eat meat and we don’t judge them.  Happy to see that on our next Princess cruise, we can look forward to some interesting vegetarian menus.  We’ve been fortunate to always finding something on the menu that we like, but it does get repetitive and a bit boring on longer cruises.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, chamima said:

Agreed! On one Princess cruise years ago I asked the dining room manager if a vegetarian version could be prepared. It wasn’t a problem…and it was just as rich and satisfying as one prepared with beef broth. (But better, as no critters were involved! ❤️ 🐂🐖

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Ombud said:

last nights menu listed mussels as vegetarian so I asked my waiter if they were made out of mushrooms. He said no as vegetarians often ate shellfish. Nope. Pescatarians will eat fish, vegetarians will have eggs & some cheeses. Vegans just don't. So he brought me this menu -->20220903_201253.thumb.jpg.401053988a18a0e44e461ce17251fc2f.jpg

All items can be made vegan!!!!! Thats day 8 for tonight, i had D7 yesterday 

WE were just on the Crown and my daughter who is a pescatarian was never offered this menu?