Starlink Speed Test from Celebrity Beyond

CruisingWalter

Celebrity now rely on your use of internet.

Various QR codes were used throughout our recent cruise for form filling eg departure times, mid cruise questionnaires about muster, excursions and food & beverage.

Not to mentions the tens of emails pre cruise inviting me to inform them of our vaccination status, even though it had been verified weeks before.😱

3 hours ago, Stu UK said:

I’m currently on Beyond and the internet / WiFi speeds are amazing - that’s with 3000 guests on a sea day. We are Retreat passengers and have the top internet package included. The speed does vary but is averaging 50Mbps download. 

1DF9B378-D270-496B-816E-4C0827A16D5F.png

Thanks for sharing.  Those figures may be "amazing" for a cruise ship, but for me at home, I'd call them "familiar" (I'm currently subscribed to the lowest cost, lowest speed available from the local cable monopoly):  13646596483.png

18 minutes ago, D C said:

Does anyone have a speedtest of the old internet?

Really not sure what anyone is doing on a ship that requires speeds that fast. 

I have done speedtests and they were 2 to 3 mpbs. Pretty darn slow and it is pretty outrageous what Celebrity charges for that. On Royal Caribbean they charge about one third of what Celebrity charges. For video you need 25 mpbs.  

1 hour ago, canderson said:

Only if you require 4K video!

Good old 1080p works at around 5Mbps, min.

I said I got 2 to 3 mbps not 5mpbs. The 25 mpbs is what the experts advise but I have not tried to stream onboard. I don't stream but I download the New York Times and Wall Street Journal to read offline at my leisure and it would always be painfully slow. 

Edited by Charles4515

2 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I said I got 2 to 3 mbps not 5mpbs. I don't stream but I download the New York Times and Wall Street Journal to read offline at my leisure and it would always be painfully slow. 

Just taking exception to your 25Mbps requirement comment.  Again, that's a 4K video stream.

Lower than 1080p res streaming is also possible.  Have often done it.

4 minutes ago, canderson said:

Just taking exception to your 25Mbps requirement comment.  Again, that's a 4K video stream.

Lower than 1080p res streaming is also possible.  Have often done it.

That's nice. I don't stream on a cruise. I download content in advance and watch off line. I have done FaceTime calls with no problem at all so I believe you. Have you tried any Zoom meetings? 

44 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I said I got 2 to 3 mbps not 5mpbs. The 25 mpbs is what the experts advise but I have not tried to stream onboard. I don't stream but I download the New York Times and Wall Street Journal to read offline at my leisure and it would always be painfully slow. 

Was that basic or 'streaming' (or whatever it's called)?

25 is the threshold for "high speed" internet, I believe.
I got by for quite some time streaming TV with a 12 mbps DSL line.

12 minutes ago, D C said:

Was that basic or 'streaming' (or whatever it's called)?

25 is the threshold for "high speed" internet, I believe.
I got by for quite some time streaming TV with a 12 mbps DSL line.

That was streaming. The basic was good enough for emails and text but I did not have the patience to wait for it to finish downloading the Wall Street Journal and New York Times. It would finish but it took too much time and sometimes the downloads would time out and I had to start over.

47 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

That's nice. I don't stream on a cruise. I download content in advance and watch off line. I have done FaceTime calls with no problem at all so I believe you. Have you tried any Zoom meetings? 

Have had to do only one -- on our last X cruise.  Managed a 3 way with video on the Stream service aboard Constellation.  Was in the western Carib at the time.  Had a WAP in our cabin which made it easier.  Worked normally.

On 9/7/2022 at 6:27 PM, grandgeezer said:

It’s in it’s initial stage, if it’s a big success, I bet the price goes up. When have they ever worried about keeping the price low? Look at all their other pricing, I can’t think of one single thing that I consider a fair price, hence my onboard spend has been 0 for a long time , at least six years, three years at 80% reduced cruising and the last three years of staying home completely.

The free minutes we got as Elite have always been more than enough for us. Thankfully the demise of compolsary AI has given everyone the right to choose the service they want. Clearly X doesn't think the basic service is great as the email we received from the Chief Exec last week recommended we upgrade to premium - but she would say that wouldn't she.

1 hour ago, the penguins said:

The free minutes we got as Elite have always been more than enough for us. Thankfully the demise of compolsary AI has given everyone the right to choose the service they want. Clearly X doesn't think the basic service is great as the email we received from the Chief Exec last week recommended we upgrade to premium - but she would say that wouldn't she.

We are Elite Plus so we get 240 minutes each and I don’t think we’ve ever came anywhere close to using all of them.

On 9/7/2022 at 11:39 PM, Stu UK said:

I’m currently on Beyond and the internet / WiFi speeds are amazing - that’s with 3000 guests on a sea day. We are Retreat passengers and have the top internet package included. The speed does vary but is averaging 50Mbps download. 

1DF9B378-D270-496B-816E-4C0827A16D5F.png

Thanks for sharing @Stu UK! Any chance you've tried using VPN/Citrix on Beyond? I'm on the Beyond in December and was wondering if I might be able to do some work while onboard. Thanks!