Starlink Speed Test from Celebrity Beyond

CruisingWalter

I believe Ade is a brand ambassador for Celebrity as he is on a Celebrity ship about 40 weeks a year. Beyond is the first cruise ship to officially launch SpaceX Starlink High Speed internet and the speeds Ade is showing via his iPhone exceeded 117mbps. Almost as fast as what I get here at home (125mbps). He did not post the pricing information so if any of y'all are onboard Beyond right now, I'm curious to know if we have to mortgage our house to get the high speed service. 🙂  image.thumb.png.1067af3e44d21a644f75db6ddf40516d.png

• Like 4

2 hours ago, WheresWalter said:

Ade is showing via his iPhone exceeded 117mbps. Almost as fast as what I get here at home (125mbps). He did not post the pricing information so if any of y'all are onboard Beyond right now, I'm curious to know if we have to mortgage our house to get the high speed service. 🙂  

That speed is moderate, (I get 480mbps at home)  Latency is bad, 229 ms. my latency at home is 7ms. Of course it will be a big improvemnt over the current service. 

3 hours ago, mahdnc said:

Also, I wonder how many passengers were using the system at the time of the measurement although it certainly is fast even if he was the only user.

Obviously the speed will depend on how many receivers the ship has and how many folks are using it. I know Freedom of the Seas was testing with either 6 or 12 receivers. Not sure how many Beyond has onboard. 

And according to Ade who shared the test image, the pricing has NOT changed onboard Beyond. Same pricing structure for 'regular' or 'high speed' internet as it was before. That's the other supposed advantage to the Starlink service for the cruise lines, it's actually cheaper to operate than the current service. Installation of the receivers may be more expensive, but the internet service itself is supposed to cheaper. I guess that's how they're able to hold the internet costs while making the switch

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, WheresWalter said:

Obviously the speed will depend on how many receivers the ship has and how many folks are using it. I know Freedom of the Seas was testing with either 6 or 12 receivers. Not sure how many Beyond has onboard. 

And according to Ade who shared the test image, the pricing has NOT changed onboard Beyond. Same pricing structure for 'regular' or 'high speed' internet as it was before. That's the other supposed advantage to the Starlink service for the cruise lines, it's actually cheaper to operate than the current service. Installation of the receivers may be more expensive, but the internet service itself is supposed to cheaper. I guess that's how they're able to hold the internet costs while making the switch

It’s in it’s initial stage, if it’s a big success, I bet the price goes up. When have they ever worried about keeping the price low? Look at all their other pricing, I can’t think of one single thing that I consider a fair price, hence my onboard spend has been 0 for a long time , at least six years, three years at 80% reduced cruising and the last three years of staying home completely.

5 hours ago, WheresWalter said:

I believe Ade is a brand ambassador for Celebrity as he is on a Celebrity ship about 40 weeks a year. Beyond is the first cruise ship to officially launch SpaceX Starlink High Speed internet and the speeds Ade is showing via his iPhone exceeded 117mbps. Almost as fast as what I get here at home (125mbps). He did not post the pricing information so if any of y'all are onboard Beyond right now, I'm curious to know if we have to mortgage our house to get the high speed service. 🙂  image.thumb.png.1067af3e44d21a644f75db6ddf40516d.png

You had me at the first sentence 😂 He is not a brand ambassador nor on ships 40 weeks a year. He is just someone that LOVES cruising as well as photography and social media. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grandgeezer said:

I can’t think of one single thing that I consider a fair price, hence my onboard spend has been 0 for a long time

Celebrity's price for internet is not fair so that they can pump up the value of the all included fares. The same interent service on Royal ships cost less. Very scammy. Will be interesting to see if Royal keeps their prices the same since it is all ala carte.

Pricing will go down when guests decide to complain vocally across social media platforms, elect to vacation with competitors with cheaper internet, or refuse to purchase the service.  

Unfortunately social media is not very influential for cruise bookings.

There are not many competitors and they all charge a lot for internet service

People need internet in 2022 just like they need water and electricity on board a ship. 

Hotels finally stopped charging for internet when people wrote nasty reviews on TripAdv***r and moved their business to hotels with free internet service.  We're still a captive audience on cruise ships and this is likely a huge revenue center for them.  

The new Apple phones announced today have emergency SOS calling via Satellite.  Maybe in 5 years most cell phones will be SatPhones and we wont be held hostage by cruise lines for service. 

2 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

It’s in it’s initial stage, if it’s a big success, I bet the price goes up. When have they ever worried about keeping the price low? Look at all their other pricing, I can’t think of one single thing that I consider a fair price, hence my onboard spend has been 0 for a long time , at least six years, three years at 80% reduced cruising and the last three years of staying home completely.

According to the person who posted the test, pricing has remained exactly the same as it was before. Two tiered pricing, 'regular' and 'high speed.' 

2 hours ago, Purplsmurf said:

You had me at the first sentence 😂 He is not a brand ambassador nor on ships 40 weeks a year. He is just someone that LOVES cruising as well as photography and social media. 

He wears a Celebrity social shirt in many of his posts and he travels almost exclusively on Celebrity ships. He gets access to everywhere and everyone on Celebrity ships, much like John Heald at Carnival.

Edited by WheresWalter

2 hours ago, Purplsmurf said:

Looking at his Twitter Profile, he lists the official Celebrity Cruise Lines Twitter account as one of the accounts he manages. So he's either a brand ambassador or hired by the cruise line to manage at least their Twitter social feed. 

44 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

Pricing will go down when guests decide to complain vocally across social media platforms, elect to vacation with competitors with cheaper internet, or refuse to purchase the service.  

Unfortunately social media is not very influential for cruise bookings.

There are not many competitors and they all charge a lot for internet service

People need internet in 2022 just like they need water and electricity on board a ship. 

Hotels finally stopped charging for internet when people wrote nasty reviews on TripAdv***r and moved their business to hotels with free internet service.  We're still a captive audience on cruise ships and this is likely a huge revenue center for them.  

The new Apple phones announced today have emergency SOS calling via Satellite.  Maybe in 5 years most cell phones will be SatPhones and we wont be held hostage by cruise lines for service. 

Putting internet in with water and electricity as far as a need is really a stretch. Try going a week without electricity and/or water, bet you can’t. Try going a week with out the internet, easy, life goes on.

Whining about pricing is a waste of effort, quit buying the product and see how fast the price comes down, especially in this economy.

People have been crying about their website and problems with customer service since I started reading the posts, in about 2003 and they still are as nothing changed, Why? Why should they people are still begging them to take their money so what’s to gain?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

Putting internet in with water and electricity as far as a need is really a stretch. Try going a week without electricity and/or water, bet you can’t. Try going a week with out the internet, easy, life goes on.

You're a grandgeezer.  Maybe your greatgrandparents lived without electricty.  And the whole city of Jackson, Mississippi has lived for a week without running water. 

I bet a millenial would have a tougher time going a week without internet.  Internet is a utility in 2022.  It's not a luxury. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mfs2k said:

I do believe that todays Apple announcement  is only the beginning. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

Maybe for you it is a stretch. We did not always have electricity. Internet has become a necessity. I have gone a few days without internet and it sucked. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

Maybe for you it is a stretch. We did not always have electricity. Internet has become a necessity. I have gone a few days without internet and it sucked. 

Going without internet a few days is an inconvenience. Go without water, or any other liquid, for more than three days, and you are probably dead. Go without electricity for any length of time, you appliances don’t work so at the very least, the food in your fridge and freezer is spoiled. No lights, no a/c, which in some areas like here in AZ, it could be a death sentence, no lights, and the worst situation for you is no internet. That more than sucks.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

Going without internet a few days is an inconvenience. Go without water, or any other liquid, for more than three days, and you are probably dead. Go without electricity for any length of time, you appliances don’t work so at the very least, the food in your fridge and freezer is spoiled. No lights, no a/c, which in some areas like here in AZ, it could be a death sentence, no lights, and the worst situation for you is no internet. That more than sucks.

I have had the electricity out for a week or two several times. Still had internet though. Cell service......Water I do keep bottles for emergencies but that never went out. But of course it sucks if the electricity goes out. Who said otherwise? 

3 hours ago, WheresWalter said:

He wears a Celebrity social shirt in many of his posts and he travels almost exclusively on Celebrity ships. He gets access to everywhere and everyone on Celebrity ships, much like John Heald at Carnival.

He is just a guy that has traveled so much on Celebrity (on his own dime) that he is Zenith and is personal friends with many crew members, including captains. Photography and social media are just a hobby of his.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Purplsmurf said:

He is just a guy that has traveled so much on Celebrity (on his own dime) that he is Zenith and is personal friends with many crew members, including captains. Photography and social media are just a hobby of his.

Whoever he is I appreciate the speedtest he did that was passed on. 

2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I have had the electricity out for a week or two several times. Still had internet though. Cell service......Water I do keep bottles for emergencies but that never went out. But of course it sucks if the electricity goes out. Who said otherwise? 

You didn’t say it did, by omission, you did say that losing the internet sucked.

5 hours ago, mfs2k said:

You're a grandgeezer.  Maybe your greatgrandparents lived without electricty.  And the whole city of Jackson, Mississippi has lived for a week without running water. 

I bet a millenial would have a tougher time going a week without internet.  Internet is a utility in 2022.  It's not a luxury. 

It’s mostly for you old people to play games and kill time.

People lived for hundreds of years without internet and did just fine. There are probably millions of people living without internet and don’t miss it or need it a bit.

24 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

It’s mostly for you old people to play games and kill time.

People lived for hundreds of years without internet and did just fine. There are probably millions of people living without internet and don’t miss it or need it a bit.

People lived for thousands of years without electricity and indoor plumbing. They did not miss it because they did not know about it. It had not been discovered or developed. We had not advanced to that yet. There are millions of people living now without electricity, indoor plumbing and internet now. Since it has been discovered and developed that is terrible . They need all three. It is arrogant to think that those who don't have something don't need it because they have not had it. 

Edited by Charles4515

8 hours ago, WheresWalter said:

Looking at his Twitter Profile, he lists the official Celebrity Cruise Lines Twitter account as one of the accounts he manages. So he's either a brand ambassador or hired by the cruise line to manage at least their Twitter social feed. 

The link in his bio is his personal page, it’s not the official Celebrity page.

I’m currently on Beyond and the internet / WiFi speeds are amazing - that’s with 3000 guests on a sea day. We are Retreat passengers and have the top internet package included. The speed does vary but is averaging 50Mbps download. 

1DF9B378-D270-496B-816E-4C0827A16D5F.png

Edited by Stu UK
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1