Oosterdam Transatlantic Wifi

LilacCruiser

1 hour ago, LilacCruiser said:

Contemplating a transatlantic on the Oosterdam next spring, but may have to utlize my laptop to work sporadically.  Any feedback regarding the reliability of wifi?

We sailed a TA on Oosterdam sister-ship Zuiderdam in April-May 2019. We bought the Premium package pre-boarding, when it is on 'sale' for not much more than Surf. The speed was slow, think dial-up, but the reliability was not-bad, and my husband was able to complete a conference call using VOIP on the north side of France -- pretty far from the equatorial satellites!

We were never able to set up a VPN nor router-hub, but you might research in the Cruise Technology board of CC, if that is something you require.

• Thanks 1

Depends on what you need to do. VPN...essentially blocked by HAL, although occasionally our VPN would activate on its own. Zoom... probably, except for maybe the busiest times. VOIP...maybe, but won't hold my breath. Emails...no problem. General web use...usually no problem.

• Thanks everyone.  Sounds unreliable at best.  I would definitely need access to my VPN.  I would be able to request removal of an international firewall from my employer, but if HAL is blocking them, I'd be up a creek without much of a paddle.

Thanks so much, this very much helps with planning!

Lynn

Have done many TAs (with HAL and other lines) and Internet service is never reliable and often quite slow.    It sounds like the future for cruise ships will be to use Elon Musk's new Starlink system (already in use on some other lines).  But no reason to believe that HAL will make any Internet improvements in the next few years.  The company has traditionally been a follower, not a leader, when it comes to technology.

Hank

You can buy your own private satellite service.  The cruise industry is not yet geared to the nomad economy.  That said, if it is the lifestyle you want to pursue you likely need to be self contained.  Google Marine Satellite Internet

Edited by Mary229