+1 solo traveler

notscb

I've been looking around and trying to figure out something about the Carnival Dream's staterooms-

We're booked on a cruise on the Dream in December and have a friend who is saying they'd like to join us. I'd rather not have them join us in our cabin as the cabins are already a bit tight with even two people, so I wondered:

Does anyone know if any of the suites onboard have two rooms? On the ships page on cruise critic it says there are some single inside cabins but I couldn't figure out how many.

Carnival is charging full fare for a solo traveler at the moment, so I'm hoping y'all might have some creative suggestions on how to include this person on our vacation without breaking the bank.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, notscb said:

I've been looking around and trying to figure out something about the Carnival Dream's staterooms-

We're booked on a cruise on the Dream in December and have a friend who is saying they'd like to join us. I'd rather not have them join us in our cabin as the cabins are already a bit tight with even two people, so I wondered:

Does anyone know if any of the suites onboard have two rooms? On the ships page on cruise critic it says there are some single inside cabins but I couldn't figure out how many.

Carnival is charging full fare for a solo traveler at the moment, so I'm hoping y'all might have some creative suggestions on how to include this person on our vacation without breaking the bank.

Have you checked actual suite pricing for your sailing? 2 people sailing in an inside cabin and another paying solo in another inside (if not oceanview cabins) is likely to be cheaper than 3 in any suite, much less a 2 bedroom suite.

Edited by DallasGuy75219
  • Like 1

I don’t know if any Carnival ship has two bedroom suites, but for certain, Dream does not.  What kind of cabin are you currently in.  Not asking category, but is it a two person cabin, or can you add guests?   You can always say your cabin does not hold more than two.  Suggest he look at 1A insides.  EM

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Essiesmom said:

but for certain, Dream does not.

That's super helpful! It wasn't totally clear looking at the room types on Carnivals website, and I know some cruise lines do have two bedroom suites on their ships.

We're currently in a cove balcony for a 6 night cruise. In my experience, when there's a balcony available, I tend to spend more time in my room that if I were in another category (oceanview or interior). I think my concern is by adding one more person to the room it'd be just extra cramped and not as comfortable.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

Have you checked actual suite pricing for your sailing?

So far, it's about a wash between upgrading to the suite and just having the extra person get an interior room with the solo surcharge Carnival is pushing. The original rate of the cruise for an interior is listed at something in the mid $500's/per person. When you change it to 1 person, it doubles. That's why I had wondered about a two bedroom suite if that was a thing onboard.

I'm really just looking to try to save a friend some money, and admit that I'm not really keen on the idea to have them join us in our room.

• Like 1

I cruise with friends and I am solo and I would never want to stay in a regular cabin with others as that would be very crowded and I would never feel comfortable and anticipate my friends would feel the same. Have your friend bite the bullet and look at the 1A cabins as mentioned and I believe you all will enjoy your cruise much more.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Drew B 58 said:

Does your friend have another friend that wants to come along?

Our friend has a partner who is, um, the textbook definition of an introvert. I'm sure he'd find a way to have a  good time, but even the thought of coming probably is a non-starter. We're trying to think of another friend who might want to come and split the room if we can't avoid the solo supplement.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Crusin Karen said:

BATHROOM

EXACTLY. 3 people in a cabin, maybe. 3 people to one (very small) bathroom- absolutely not. I truly don't know how people with kids and families do it, their cabins always seem so cramped.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, notscb said:

EXACTLY. 3 people in a cabin, maybe. 3 people to one (very small) bathroom- absolutely not. I truly don't know how people with kids and families do it, their cabins always seem so cramped.

As a fairly neat couple who've learned to pack light and don't bring a lot of excess items..... I've walked the hallways and peeked inside some cabins (don't judge the door was opened) and it looked like a cyclone tore thru there. I could never imagine having a friend - no matter how close share a cabin with me and DH. Likewise I would never impose the same on someone. But everyone travels and cruises differently. Feel bad for the friend but its not your obligation to subsidize his/her vacation. jmho

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ober134 said:

looked like a cyclone tore thru there.

Honestly, that's what I'm basing my concept of "cramped" on as well. On my last cruise, I saw a stateroom attendant working on an interior room that had the full bed and two drop down bunks that looked like such a disaster I couldn't even imagine being comfortable sleeping in that space, let alone trying to get ready or share the single bathroom with so many other people.

• Like 1

On 9/8/2022 at 7:58 PM, notscb said:

I'm really just looking to try to save a friend some money, and admit that I'm not really keen on the idea to have them join us in our room.

Based on your own admission^^^, I would say get 2 rooms. It's your vacation too. 

Your friend has a partner who is very introverted where going is a non-starter. It's part of the deal and they should think of it as like paying for taxes. 

I will say though that I have seen people stay in their room the entire time during a cruise. That is an option if they can muster hanging out with you for the time it takes to embark and disembark. That's like only a total of 2 hours at most. But I get it if they are very introverted/agoraphobic and can't do that.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, notscb said:

Honestly, that's what I'm basing my concept of "cramped" on as well. On my last cruise, I saw a stateroom attendant working on an interior room that had the full bed and two drop down bunks that looked like such a disaster I couldn't even imagine being comfortable sleeping in that space, let alone trying to get ready or share the single bathroom with so many other people.

1 hour ago, ober134 said:

As a fairly neat couple who've learned to pack light and don't bring a lot of excess items..... I've walked the hallways and peeked inside some cabins (don't judge the door was opened) and it looked like a cyclone tore thru there. I could never imagine having a friend - no matter how close share a cabin with me and DH. Likewise I would never impose the same on someone. But everyone travels and cruises differently. Feel bad for the friend but its not your obligation to subsidize his/her vacation. jmho

It depends on your tolerance and how heavy of a packer you are.