Covid MSC Cruise Refund being rejected/bouncing

theclaw

Hi!  We have been trying to get a refund from MSC since we had to cancel our cruise back in Feb 2022 because of Covid.  After many calls and drama, we finally received one check for the cruise refund on  Aug 1st, 2022.  We called back again and have been waiting on our upgrade/shore excursion check.  We finally  received it 9/6/22 and deposited the check and it was rejected/bounced.  We have been trying to get someone at our travel agency or MSC to call us back as to  why the check bounced but keep getting the run around from MSC.  They are always "researching".    Has anyone else had this problem?

Refer to Maker usually means the company has placed a Stop Payment Order on the check. Maybe they issued it for the the wrong amount? Thought you didn’t get it and stopped payment? You will need to find out what they say and just keep contacting them.

Yikes!  Did you pay be credit card?  I would see if there was anything they could do.  I had to get a refund to my credit card from MSC a while back.  It took forever but I finally got it.  I honestly think longer than your ordeal.  If you booked with a travel agent have them get their rep involved.  Keep records from everyone you talk to and stay persistent.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, awhcruiser said:

Dispute this with your CC company. 

That is certainly worth a try without regard to timeframe. However, many times a credit issuer will refuse to allow you to dispute a charge that is more than 60 days old. It's pretty obvious why cruise lines will tell you not to expect anything for 60 days. They are trying to run out the clock.

1 hour ago, publicpersona said:

That is certainly worth a try without regard to timeframe. However, many times a credit issuer will refuse to allow you to dispute a charge that is more than 60 days old. It's pretty obvious why cruise lines will tell you not to expect anything for 60 days. They are trying to run out the clock.

I had no idea.I plan on using Amex because they will actually do something!

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Today is October 10, 2022. MSC stated a check was re-issued to us on 9/27/22.  Still no check and have been on the phone trying to get answers all day today.  They are just terrible.  My guess is they haven't issued a check. 

2 hours ago, theclaw said:

I can't dispute the charge because this was originally paid back in Feb 2022. This has been going on for 8 months now. UGH!!

Sounds like small claims court may be in your future.  What a mess...so sorry you're dealing with this.  Has your TA been any help?

On 10/10/2022 at 3:49 PM, theclaw said:

I can't dispute the charge because this was originally paid back in Feb 2022.

FWIW, my refund from MSC was received late last week and mail around September 25th. So maybe you'll have similar results.

Regarding disputing the charge, it is certainly worth a try. While the consumer laws require disputes to be accepted for the first 60 days, some issuers will favor the customer and at least push one dispute back to the merchant even months later. I've had success in the past.

On 10/10/2022 at 3:46 PM, theclaw said:

Today is October 10, 2022. MSC stated a check was re-issued to us on 9/27/22.  Still no check and have been on the phone trying to get answers all day today.  They are just terrible.  My guess is they haven't issued a check. 

Ask them for a check number and issue date.  You can compare that to the original you deposited to see if it's in the correct range.  Should give you an indication that one was actually issued.

23 hours ago, styles27 said:

Why did they issue the refund via check and not a credit to your card? 

Don't know. IIRC, they had always said (to me) it would be sent in the form of a check. And since each dollar returned to my travel rewards card would have cost me 4.5 cents, I'm certainly not disappointed.

1 hour ago, publicpersona said:

Don't know. IIRC, they had always said (to me) it would be sent in the form of a check. And since each dollar returned to my travel rewards card would have cost me 4.5 cents, I'm certainly not disappointed.

That’s interesting. I’ve had two refunds from MSC this year, one was paid in full (they offered the refund because of an itinerary change) and the other was a deposit and both times it went back on my card. I didn’t have a choice.  

• Like 1