Sleeping On Sofa... ?

WoodstockGirl

I am about to embark on a "Girlfriend Cruise" on the Enchanted Princess. We 3 "girls" will be in an obstructed deluxe balcony cabin.  We'll have two twins and... the sofa as our 3rd bed. How uncomfortable is that? Does the bottom slide out/pull out from the back of the sofa; or does it flip out like old fashioned sofa beds did with the dreaded bars? Is it a smaller sleeping space than a twin?

Thanks for your input

WG

Edited by WoodstockGirl

58 minutes ago, WoodstockGirl said:

Does the bottom slide out/pull out from the back of the sofa; or does it flip out like old fashioned sofa beds did with the dreaded bars? Is it a smaller sleeping space than a twin?

Thanks for your input

WG

The steward will flip it over and you will have a spring metal support. Watch this stateroom tour video from 2:46 onwards. Hopefully someone else can advise on whether it is narrower than a twin.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

it's reasonably comfortable. I slept on one on Regal Princess, on the old sofa bed (which was only marginally better than their old beds). It was the exact same size as the other regular beds.

Enchanted will have much newer beds and mattresses, so it won't be bad at all. 

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

1 hour ago, WoodstockGirl said:

I am about to embark on a "Girlfriend Cruise" on the Enchanted Princess. We 3 "girls" will be in an obstructed deluxe balcony cabin.  We'll have two twins and... the sofa as our 3rd bed. How uncomfortable is that? Does the bottom slide out/pull out from the back of the sofa; or does it flip out like old fashioned sofa beds did with the dreaded bars? Is it a smaller sleeping space than a twin?

Thanks for your input

WG

Are you drawing straws or using RPS?  😉

No thanks to the sofa IMO for an adult.  Wife and I were in a Deluxe once and I did check out the sofa and think it only suitable for a child for any length of time.

9 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Wife and I were in a Deluxe once and I did check out the sofa and think it only suitable for a child for any length of time.

I booked the Deluxe on Regal on purpose because their regular beds were simply awful prior to them getting new mattresses. I am a fairly large woman with a very bad back. I found the sofa to be acceptable.

IMHO, Enchanted is newer than Regal and should have better mattresses be it a regular bed or a sleeper sofa.

• Like 2

Great video!  I have heard it mentioned that perhaps the steward could place a mattress from a pull down berth and that might be better than the thin fold-out mattress.   Or maybe double up both mattresses?  Do you know if your cabin has a pull down 4th, berth?  or does it sleep max 3.

• Like 1

I have done mini suites with teenagers twice, once on the Star and once on the Regal.  The couch bed was not the full length of the couch, but only part to make a twin size.  Another twin size came down from the ceiling over the couch.  Teenagers were comfortable.  I don't remember any significant differences between the Grand class and Royal class setups.

On 9/12/2022 at 10:58 AM, WoodstockGirl said:

Thanks for your input

WG

We (a family of 3 with a 19 yr old teenager) had a obstructed balcony deluxe on the Majestic last year.  The teenager was 5'9 and had no issues.  My only complaint is that when the soft is pulled out there is literally no room to navigate to the balcony without crawling over the bed.  So in the morning when the kid was still asleep I was crawling over him to get out on the balcony.  I wish we had taken the mini suite as there is more room also between the pull out sofa and twin/queen beds.  But definitely the sofa is acceptable for the week. Also, our cabin steward did all the work so we were never opening it up and putting it back together.  Have fun! 

Edited by Esjung1
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, Esjung1 said:

My only complaint is that when the soft is pulled out there is literally no room to navigate to the balcony without crawling over the bed.

very true.

But since I was the one sleeping on the sofa it was not a problem.

That said, it was much easier to access the balcony under the pullman bed. And the kiddo loves pullman beds...

I liked the way the sofa bed was positioned on RCI's Harmony and Allure - much better access to the balcony:

image.thumb.jpeg.40dc2840cd2d73052a28079f3a010814.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My adult daughter has shared a room with us and used the sofa bed several times. One thing she did to make it more comfortable was ask the Steward for an extra comforter that she put over the mattress. He would actually put the sheet over it for her when he made the bed. She found it very comfy with the little bit of extra padding. 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

We were recently on the Royal in a mini suite and the sofa was made up into a bed without being pulled out. It was comfortable and did not take up extra space. Are the sofa beds in the Grand class ships the same or are those a pullout? We are looking at Caribbean Princess. 
Thanks.