Too many comments that Os food is not what it used to be.

jonthomas

We did our first Oceania cruise on Riveria in July.  Thought the quality and variety of food was excellent - and we are used to travelling in the Grills on Cunard.  Staff were inexperienced but that did not affect the quality of the food.

3 hours ago, LaCroisiereS'amuse said:

I came back from 2 weeks on Insignia in August & found the quality to be as good as before.  The thing I didn't like was the abundance of vegetarian/vegan options - one evening half the main course options were non meat/fish severely limiting options for omnivores.  I come on a cruise for a treat......I leave the health kick at home.

I guess they are trying to please  the Vegans & Vegetarians  as well as the omnivores  that enjoy cruises

It is  a fine line   they will P*** off  someone  along the way 😉

Logistics are causing these issues, as I have said previously these are affecting every cruise line.

If I were to travel tomorrow with the current staffing and logistics issues, the line I would still prefer to be on is Oceania. 

As for a breakfast with no coffee or water, when your food arrived did you ask for coffee to come around? You had interaction enough to get your food…if that happened to me I would go over and get the pot, and when challenged I would let them know coffee hadn’t come around. Shouting about it afterwards makes you look boorish and leaves you thirsty. 

• Like 5

We don’t have decades of O experience which is perhaps helpful.  Still we sailed Regatta for 18 days in April, and are currently onboard for a further 16 days.  A few comments comparing our first voyage to the current one.

1.  On both sailings we ran into a dud service team in the GDR, can’t say it was inexperience either time but the problem was the same.  In both cases they attempted to “join” us with a larger table meaning let the large table set the pace, it should have been obvious that this wasn’t going to work when they ordered 4 courses and we 2, still we had to wait through two of their courses before advancing our own meal.  It happened the first night of the current sailing, the host asked about our meal on the way out and we provided honest feedback, service since has been spectacular.  I’d label such service as lazy, trying to minimize trips to the kitchen.  Lazy.

2.  We had two quite lackluster experiences at Toscana in April, so much so that we were reluctant to try again, but we booked for night 2 with low expectations.  Wow what a turn around, service great, food great, we even saw the olive oil cart this time.  We don’t have another booking, but I wish we did, perhaps something to change for our second segment.

3.  As for food quality, I’d say clearly better than other lines we’ve sailed.  But a few disappointments, notably veal based dishes which should be tender (assuming it’s not overcooked) have been routinely as tough as shoe leather.  One dish simply couldn’t be cut with any available knife.  Otherwise however most meals have been very good or better.  Pasta dishes in particular seem to be exceptional, something we noticed in April as well.

in the main were are more than satisfied with O food and service though we do note both can fall down on particular days or dishes.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, jondfk said:

We don’t have decades of O experience which is perhaps helpful.  Still we sailed Regatta for 18 days in April, and are currently onboard for a further 16 days.  A few comments comparing our first voyage to the current one.

1.  On both sailings we ran into a dud service team in the GDR, can’t say it was inexperience either time but the problem was the same.  In both cases they attempted to “join” us with a larger table meaning let the large table set the pace, it should have been obvious that this wasn’t going to work when they ordered 4 courses and we 2, still we had to wait through two of their courses before advancing our own meal.  It happened the first night of the current sailing, the host asked about our meal on the way out and we provided honest feedback, service since has been spectacular.  I’d label such service as lazy, trying to minimize trips to the kitchen.  Lazy.

Could  you not decline "sharing"  tables  & ask for  a 2 top?

Sometimes 2 tops are scarce  but we will then ask for  table for 4 ... less  waiting even if the other party orders  more courses 

We just chat while waiting  for them to enjoy their meal

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Could  you not decline "sharing"  tables  & ask for  a 2 top?

Sometimes 2 tops are scarce  but we will then ask for  table for 4 ... less  waiting even if the other party orders  more courses 

We just chat while waiting  for them to enjoy their meal

We weren’t sharing, but the waiter nonetheless let the large table next to us dictate the pace of our meal which is, as I wrote, just plain lazy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just off the Insignia after 46 days.  Toscana was excellent the several nights we were there.  Polo was hit or miss, usually overcooked steaks, especially the prime rib, cool potatoes.  Had to send meals back twice.  Appetizers were good and the clam chowder was very good, IMO, in Polo.  The GDR was uninspiring, but the service was very good.  The menu repeated itself too often.  The Terrace was good and relaxing.  They had the Red Ginger menu a few times and it was good.  No Sea Bass however, they used other fish.  The hamburgers at lunch seemed "different".  Not as good as before.  However, my biggest gripe was that the pizza is terrible, and the coffee tastes like last night's dish water.  Worst coffee and pizza on the high seas.

Food is very subjective and I am not a foodie in any sense.  I didn't starve that's for sure.  

53 minutes ago, Rv6flyer said:

This is my 7th oceania cruise. Never had to do self service. Had dinner in Toscana last night and a completely different level of service, Terrace in the evening is wonderful.

I’m glad your time wasn’t ruined by the coffee incident 🙂

It seems like, when issues were brought to the attention of someone in charge, there was marked improvement. That speaks volumes for Oceania.

On Celebrity, when concerns were raised, even if the chef came to the table, nothing changed. Pay for Suites or suffer  steerage food is the impression we got from Celeb. And many pay for suites for that reason. NO way, might as well try other lines than cruise with that kind of segregation.

Yup there is actually a wall separating the dining room, those in suites and the rest. 

A special dining venue for the suites passengers, others just look in. Really a disgusting way to cruise.

But enough of that, not looking back, just sorry we gave them so much of our loyalty. Now trying to get the loyalty benefits with O. If all goes well, we should have it in another year, by doing 3 or 4 a year. But I digress.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rv6flyer said:

Had my hole breakfast with no water or coffee. Some one showed up as I was getting up to leave. I told them loud enough that Other tables heard. No one ever walked by.

You were wise to not stick around after your tantrum. Your coffee may have had the consistency of bubble tea had you waited,

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, ssawjo said:

Just off the Insignia after 46 days.  Toscana was excellent the several nights we were there.  Polo was hit or miss, usually overcooked steaks, especially the prime rib, cool potatoes.  Had to send meals back twice.  Appetizers were good and the clam chowder was very good, IMO, in Polo.  The GDR was uninspiring, but the service was very good.  The menu repeated itself too often.  The Terrace was good and relaxing.  They had the Red Ginger menu a few times and it was good.  No Sea Bass however, they used other fish.  The hamburgers at lunch seemed "different".  Not as good as before.  However, my biggest gripe was that the pizza is terrible, and the coffee tastes like last night's dish water.  Worst coffee and pizza on the high seas.

Food is very subjective and I am not a foodie in any sense.  I didn't starve that's for sure.  

Is the repetition that it repeated more than once every 10 or 14 days? 

I thought that there was a "cycle" of 10 or 14 different menus.  So it's not unreasonable to see the same menu 3 or more times on a 46 day cruise...

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ShopperfiendTO said:

Is the repetition that it repeated more than once every 10 or 14 days? 

I thought that there was a "cycle" of 10 or 14 different menus.  So it's not unreasonable to see the same menu 3 or more times on a 46 day cruise...

GDR mains used to be on a 14 day rotation, we've done three 10-11 day segments since COVID so can't absolutely confirm that is still the exact calendar. We saw no main course menu repeats on our post-COVID segments. GDR starters are more limited than pre-pre-COVID - they change daily but can seem oddly familiar day to day, this change was made pre-COVID early 2019/late 2018 iirc. Oddly familiar as in prosciuotto with melon one day, prosciutto with cheese another - not technically a repeat 🙂

We are currently on Insignia and very much enjoying the food and service. Definitely a step up from our other cruises on the likes of Azamara (which we enjoyed).

Toscana was not to my liking 2 nights ago, but I look forward to trying it again.

The lamb curry in the Terrace Cafe was fantastic last night.

We have witnessed a certain gentleman complaining multiple times about the food and service. His wife seems embarrassed each time. It seems that some people just like to complain.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, ssawjo said:

I agree that the GDR menu is lackluster. There have been numerous times where nothing on the menu seemed appealing. I'm not a picky eater either. I usually end up getting the Jacques Pepin roasted chicken which I've found to be very good.   I also agree about the pizza in Terrace.  I've never tried it but it looks like something to be avoided. 

I'll be on Sirena next month and looking forward to dining in Red Ginger. My favorite restaurant on Oceania.  Hopefully the GDR will have come up with some better dishes. 

2 hours ago, Rv6flyer said:

This is my 7th oceania cruise. Never had to do self service. Had dinner in Toscana last night and a completely different level of service, Terrace in the evening is wonderful.

Sorry confused

You said above you had self service breakfast ?

Where did you dine ?

Just now, Rv6flyer said:

In the pre covid days you picked your items and a waiter would take your plate and walk you to a table. Obviously some of you have not been on Oceania but have the need to comment.

Still happens, not all the time, and certainly not something I have accepted, I would prefer they help those that might need help. 

Can you just clarify for the curious….you were in the Terrace for breakfast..the buffet? So you went and got your own food…? The way you commented at first it really sounded like you were in the GDR. 

I am surprised anyone cheered when you shouted … I think I would be mortified at someone treating the staff in any way less than how I would want to be treated. 

I do hope the rest of your trip is satisfactory and you don’t have to shout at anyone about it. By all accounts your wife is very embarrassed at this point..

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Rv6flyer said:

Another reply by somebody that was-not there. The wife did not go to breakfast that morning. And as i said earlier i did not shout. Again another assumption from somebody that was not there. Geeze people learn to not butt  in if you have nothing productive to say.

True I was not there. We have 12 O cruises under our belt. If we have experienced trouble getting coffee,  or water we catch someone's eye or walk over to the area manager . Matter seems to be quickly resolved. Not sure how quickly you ate bfast but have found certain times they get overwhelmed. Not an excuse but a reality,  when alot of folks are in Terrace Cafe trying to get put quickly ot does strain the staff. 

Hopefully you mentioned something in your mid cruise review. 

• Like 2

as someone with so many years on Celeb, no one gets you coffee, or water, or anything else...and if you ask, they look at you as if to say, you got legs dont you...have never expected it....

those in suites, have a separate Luminae eatery...they do not have breakfast with the "peasants" so maybe they are served ...dont know, I am one of the peasants...

so we were so amazed on O,  that as we sat down, someone got it for us...and if not, the self serve was right there...no problem getting it...

guess it is all the experiences one has had....

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Well as OP appears not to want to comments … my last observation is that sitting there with no drink because nobody has offered you one, clearly getting agitated about it all the while, when one is in a buffet style restaurant so it’s not a huge walk to liquid seems to be an awfully easy way to get into a right state on holiday. 

Life is too short to be upset about not being served coffee on holiday. 

It is a very small hiccup in the scheme of things. 

You sound pretty stressed about it. 

• Like 9