NAAT vs. PCR for HAL?

Clay Clayton

For our cruise from Vancouver, we need a  PCR test within 72 hours of departure. Our local Walgreens says 48 hours for results on their PCR test but can do a NAAT test and have results in 2 hours.  My physician friends says they are basically the same test.  Does anyone know if HAL/Canada accept the NAAT?

8 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

For our cruise from Vancouver, we need a  PCR test within 72 hours of departure. Our local Walgreens says 48 hours for results on their PCR test but can do a NAAT test and have results in 2 hours.  My physician friends says they are basically the same test.  Does anyone know if HAL/Canada accept the NAAT?

Clay, the Walgreen's rapid NAAT will be fine. It's been posted on these boards by folks who have had no problem with them, and a NAAT is specifically listed in the Canadian government requirements website:   https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise

Look under "Pre-embarkation COVID-19 testing" - "Accepted types of tests".

Just for clarity for some of the folks earlier - a PCR test is just one form of a NAAT (Nucleic Acid Amplification Test). All PCR tests are NAATs, not all NAATs are PCR. I believe, but have not been able to verify, that the Walgreen's rapid NAAT is what is called an RT-LAMP test. RT-LAMP is a quick molecular test that is often used in point-of-care locations like old age homes or clinics - more accurate than an Antigen test, but doesn't need all the lab facilities that a PCR does.

(Too much info from an old organic chemist!). 🍺🥌

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, CurlerRob said:

Clay, the Walgreen's rapid NAAT will be fine. It's been posted on these boards by folks who have had no problem with them, and a NAAT is specifically listed in the Canadian government requirements website:   https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise

Just for clarity for some of the folks earlier - a PCR test is just one form of a NAAT (Nucleic Acid Amplification Test). All PCR tests are NAATs, not all NAATs are PCR. I believe, but have not been able to verify, that the Walgreen's rapid NAAT is what is called an RT-LAMP test. RT-LAMP is a quick molecular test that is often used in point-of-care locations like old age homes or clinics - more accurate than an Antigen test, but doesn't need all the lab facilities that a PCR does.

I knew that a NAAT was a type of PCR test and had been good enough for Viking and Delta when we went to Iceland last summer but wasn’t sure about Canada so thanks for doing that research for me! Let me know when you need some architectural information and this old architect will try to reciprocate!😂

Edited by Clay Clayton
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/13/2022 at 9:54 PM, CurlerRob said:

Just found out the Walgreen’s NAAT will cost $139 each so now looking at using our government antigen tests and a proctor service called “On-Point”. Based on YouTube reviews-it seems like a good possibility though one reports on an appointment snafu so will need to have a plan B also. 

Has anyone else used 0n-Point?

9 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Just found out the Walgreen’s NAAT will cost $139 each so now looking at using our government antigen tests and a proctor service called “On-Point”. Based on YouTube reviews-it seems like a good possibility though one reports on an appointment snafu so will need to have a plan B also. 

Has anyone else used 0n-Point?

Here is my experience with OnPoint:

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, oakridger said:

Hi Clay.  Here is a thread with a bunch of first hand experience with the online proctoring.  I will be using On Point next week for my pre Alaska test.

~Nancy

8 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Here is my experience with OnPoint:

Thank you both!

• Like 2