Anytime dining

ChefSha

How does this work? I just noticed our TA signed us up for this and I’m not thrilled (she’s on a cruise right now so I can’t change it yet). I’m specifically interested in how it works in Luminae. I have a pretty specific dietary need/want (can’t eat things with black/red pepper)so I’m assuming having the same server every night would be a plus in that area. Would y’all suggest changing to a set time dining? 

sorry for so many questions. 

9 minutes ago, ChefSha said:

How does this work? I just noticed our TA signed us up for this and I’m not thrilled (she’s on a cruise right now so I can’t change it yet). I’m specifically interested in how it works in Luminae. I have a pretty specific dietary need/want (can’t eat things with black/red pepper)so I’m assuming having the same server every night would be a plus in that area. Would y’all suggest changing to a set time dining? 

Luminae is always set  up as anytime dining as there are no set dining times. If you come the same every night it wont matter. They will always try to set you up with the same waiter.

If you haven't mentioned your dietary issues before your cruise, you should see the maitre d' as soon as possible on board (no need to race there🙂) and discuss your requirements and issues. Celebrity, like many other cruise lines, is very good at accommodating dietary requirement. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kitekat said:

discuss your requirements and issues. Celebrity, like many other cruise lines, is very good at accommodating dietary requirement. 

I am Dairy Intolerant , so fill in a Special Needs form before the cruise.

The Maitre’D brings me a menu for the following night before I leave the dining room. They will adapt anything on the menu for me- for example the French Onion soup is minus the cheese.

I've dined in Luminae on several cruises. They like to keep you with your "unofficially assigned" staff. I usually go the same time every night and it's never been an issue. One day I went to breakfast a little later than usual and my normal section was full so they sat me in a different section but my usual waitress attended to me, which I felt guilty about because it was so much extra work for her.

19 hours ago, ChefSha said:

We used anytime dining aboard Silhouette recently, with no set time, which I prefer. On vacation, my wife and I enjoy spontaneity instead of the usual "gotta do this by this time/date" we deal with otherwise. If you're still slave to a schedule, then what's the point vacationing?

With the Luminae, we could visit anytime we felt like it, without a reservation. Usually we arrived 15-30 minutes after it opened (dinner, at 6 p.m.) because we felt hungry and the meal is more of an "experience" vs. the buffet on deck 14 or elsewhere, i.e., it takes some time. (Plus, sometimes, you just want to fill your cakehole without dressing up, too much fuss, because you feel wiped out after a long day, you're starving, etc. 😄)

Anyway, the Luminae offers a specific menu (although I think you can also get anything from the main dining room served there, too). But our waitstaff always asked about allergies/dietary needs, so whether you have the same server/staff or not, I suspect they will accommodate your needs.

cjr

4 minutes ago, CNSfromHI said:

We used anytime dining aboard Silhouette recently, with no set time, which I prefer. On vacation, my wife and I enjoy spontaneity instead of the usual "gotta do this by this time/date" we deal with otherwise. If you're still slave to a schedule, then what's the point vacationing?

With the Luminae, we could visit anytime we felt like it, without a reservation. Usually we arrived 15-30 minutes after it opened (dinner, at 6 p.m.) because we felt hungry and the meal is more of an "experience" vs. the buffet on deck 14 or elsewhere, i.e., it takes some time. (Plus, sometimes, you just want to fill your cakehole without dressing up, too much fuss, because you feel wiped out after a long day, you're starving, etc. 😄)

Anyway, the Luminae offers a specific menu (although I think you can also get anything from the main dining room served there, too). But our waitstaff always asked about allergies/dietary needs, so whether you have the same server/staff or not, I suspect they will accommodate your needs.

cjr

I 100% agree with you but I understand not everyone does; it's a personality thing, some (like my dear parents) simply NEED a rigid schedule or else they feel anxious.  Neither way is right or wrong.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

I 100% agree with you but I understand not everyone does; it's a personality thing, some (like my dear parents) simply NEED a rigid schedule or else they feel anxious.  Neither way is right or wrong.

We have a routine in the evening. Pre dinner drinks and snack (well no more snacks as the pre covid evening CC HH has been discontinued) at 5:00. Head down to the MDR at 5:45 for 6:00 SD. Sitting down to eat at 6:00 is late for us. 😂Then off to the main theater for the show.  

1 hour ago, CNSfromHI said:

cjr

Because it is MY schedule which I choose to be a slave to (or not) and no one else's (even when sailing with friends)...

bon voyage

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CNSfromHI said:

cjr

If you're still slave to a schedule, then what's the point vacationing?  Some of our tummies have decided we need to be a slave to it's calling, at home or on vacation.

2 hours ago, davekathy said:

We have a routine in the evening. Pre dinner drinks and snack (well no more snacks as the pre covid evening CC HH has been discontinued) at 5:00. Head down to the MDR at 5:45 for 6:00 SD. Sitting down to eat at 6:00 is late for us. 😂Then off to the main theater for the show.  

Select/Anytime MDR opens for dinner at 530pm (on most ships I believe), on my last sailing I was shocked to see maybe 15-20 standing in line at 5:15pm.  Was shocked because you could get a table without any wait up until 6pm.

22 hours ago, ChefSha said:

I was on Edge two weeks ago under the same plan and I never even thought about it while on the ship. The buffet (Oceanview) on the 14th floor you can just stroll in whenever you please and there was always seats (offerings of course depended on time of day, during set up times only limited parts available).

The four no-extra charge restaurants-- I recommend making reservations for those in advance, or at least once you arrive on the ship-- you can do it on the app, although seemed like there was never issues getting in when I tried to stroll in at random times (they do however take dress code seriously in the sit down service restaurants, if you're male, you have to wear pants)

For the paid restaurants like Eden, definitely make your reservation in advance, I tried to on day 2/3 and they were sold out the rest of the sailing.

I'm curious if the ship being way below max occupancy makes the dining times irrelevant, but then again, had I chose a set time maybe they would have turned me away on outside times? I don't know

Wow.

Yep, it's your vacation so cruise/dine/do whatever, however you want.

Sorry I openly expressed my opinion. Next time, read the full thread, in which I posited "it's a personality thing... Neither way is right or wrong."

cjr

Edited by CNSfromHI

7 minutes ago, CNSfromHI said:

Sorry I openly expressed my opinion...

This is a little more judgy than just expressing an opinion...

3 hours ago, CNSfromHI said:

If you're still slave to a schedule, then what's the point vacationing?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, RichYak said:

This is a little more judgy than just expressing an opinion...

Unlike you in another thread: "Perhaps. Perhaps not. I shared my personal viewpoint. It may not necessarily represent US culture."

But I digress,

cjr

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, CNSfromHI said:

Unlike you in another thread: "Perhaps. Perhaps not. I shared my personal viewpoint. It may not necessarily represent US culture."

But I digress,

cjr

I think you've digressed from making a point 😂. I have no idea what this quote has to do with anything.

4 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Select/Anytime MDR opens for dinner at 530pm (on most ships I believe), on my last sailing I was shocked to see maybe 15-20 standing in line at 5:15pm.  Was shocked because you could get a table without any wait up until 6pm.

We do have our priorities even on a cruise. 🍷😉

• Haha 1