Royal Suites

ChefSha

We are getting ready to upgrade from CS to RS (kicking myself for not booking this originally). Trying to decide which one is the best one, ie less noise from the upstairs since they are under the spa or so.atrium I think. We are in the Apex. Any advise?

I am sure they all are fine , I might pick 12108 it is between the two penthouse suites and across from Luminae . You probably saved a lot of money doing it with move up, you will love it we did penthouse last year on edge on a move up and another royal suite on summit.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ChefSha said:

We are getting ready to upgrade from CS to RS (kicking myself for not booking this originally). Trying to decide which one is the best one, ie less noise from the upstairs since they are under the spa or so.atrium I think. We are in the Apex. Any advise?

I hope you realize that the RS on E class has a small balcony that can only be accessed through the bedroom. Some have been surprised and disappointed by those things.

Edited by jelayne
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, jelayne said:

I hope you realize that the RS on E class has a small balcony that can only be accessed through the bedroom. Some have been surprised and disappointed by those things.

I was disappointed with balcony for penthouse on edge class , very narrow with no sun . But there very close to retreat with there pool and hot tubs .

4 hours ago, George C said:

I was disappointed with balcony for penthouse on edgeand  class , very narrow with no sun . But there very close to retreat with there pool and hot tubs .

The PH  balcony is shaded and narrow but much larger and accessible from the living room.

A good source is CruiseDeckPlans --- they have a tool for many ships that shows what is above and below your room.   If not available for E-Class you can just look at the deck above.

I just checked and available for Edge --- chose ship go to very bottom Right side and choose Room Checker

Example of 12103 -- I've had it before and was very quiet .

image.png.11836086ba8be8df6c0d2e70d1429824.png

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, George C said:

I was disappointed with balcony for penthouse on edge class , very narrow with no sun . But there very close to retreat with there pool and hot tubs .

I don’t understand the how the PH balcony have been designed on E class. Not everyone wants to use a shared sun deck no matter how good the retreat. The PH balcony on S class is good but on M class we were blown away. I don’t think I’d bother with PH on E class as the balcony is important to me. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, wineoclock said:

I don’t understand the how the PH balcony have been designed on E class. Not everyone wants to use a shared sun deck no matter how good the retreat. The PH balcony on S class is good but on M class we were blown away. I don’t think I’d bother with PH on E class as the balcony is important to me. 

Same with regard to M class RS veranda.  Could probably do without the hot tub, but overall size and access from both living and bedroom spaces work well for us.

S class RS veranda is a step down from M class, but workable for us.  OTOH I've seen E class video and photos, and we were very happy that it was Reflection and not one of the E class ships making our Barcelona TA next month.  We'd have preferred Constellation, but we wanted a Barcelona vs. Rome embarkation.

• Like 2

We aren't balcony people at all.  First, my DH has had skin CA so he isn't allowed in direct sun.  Second- we much prefer the suite inside to be great.   We had the  Royal suite on our last Equinox cruise- loved it.  Never used the hot tub on the balcony.  We love the Edge class suite deck and luminae.  That to us means so much more then a balcony.

Unless you have many people in your suite, why is a "big balcony" important?  PS.  best to avoid direct sunlight!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

We aren't balcony people at all.  First, my DH has had skin CA so he isn't allowed in direct sun.  Second- we much prefer the suite inside to be great.   We had the  Royal suite on our last Equinox cruise- loved it.  Never used the hot tub on the balcony.  We love the Edge class suite deck and luminae.  That to us means so much more then a balcony.

Unless you have many people in your suite, why is a "big balcony" important?  PS.  best to avoid direct sunlight!

All about personal choices…highlights of our cruise include…

Standing on our balcony as we enter a port.

Eating breakfast on our balcony.

Afternoon read or nap on the balcony.

Sipping a glass of wine on my balcony as my hair dries late afternoon rather than fight a hairdryer.

Watching a port slip into the distance from our balcony early evening.

Taking a last drink back to our room and lying on a sun bed star gazing.

Occasionally sitting out in the sun or enjoying an occasional jacuzzi.

Whilst the balcony isn’t a deal breaker to you a small or overhanging balcony is to us…

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, chemmo said:

All about personal choices…highlights of our cruise include…

Standing on our balcony as we enter a port.

Eating breakfast on our balcony.

Afternoon read or nap on the balcony.

Sipping a glass of wine on my balcony as my hair dries late afternoon rather than fight a hairdryer.

Watching a port slip into the distance from our balcony early evening.

Taking a last drink back to our room and lying on a sun bed star gazing.

Occasionally sitting out in the sun or enjoying an occasional jacuzzi.

Whilst the balcony isn’t a deal breaker to you a small or overhanging balcony is to us…

We once had an aft sky suite- couldn't use the balcony.  All day direct hot sun and soot.  Tried putting my swim suits out to dry on the chair- big mistake!  Got full of soot.

But again, why do you need a big balcony?  Need room for a table and a couple of lounge chairs.  

29 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

We once had an aft sky suite- couldn't use the balcony.  All day direct hot sun and soot.  Tried putting my swim suits out to dry on the chair- big mistake!  Got full of soot.

But again, why do you need a big balcony?  Need room for a table and a couple of lounge chairs.  

We like sun beds on the balcony as well as chairs. Not so much to do with the ‘sun’ part but definitely the ‘bed’. We are older now, have limited mobility and a comfortable place to sit/lie and enjoy the view day or night is an important pleasure for us. Our ability to enjoy excursions has become more restricted but we can choose a room that fits what we want. 

I totally understand what is important to us is not important to you…As I previously said, all about choices.

Edited by chemmo
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

This is exactly the criticism some make of the RS on S class, there isn’t space for a decent table and two comfortable lounge chairs.

5 minutes ago, Mrs_Tiki said:

DH and I sailed in 12105 on Edge. No noise issues whatsoever. Balcony was small and cramped with oversized furniture, but we felt the rest of the suite made up for it!

You chose a suite which was right for you, exactly the point I am trying to make…For some people a balcony is important for others it is not!

We like a balcony. Hot tub on our balcony. With the kids that (at the time) I could keep an eye on & not worry about where they were. Also I’m limited mobility- I’d never catch them up if they scarpered! 
Im paying all that money I want to be able to enjoy my balcony & not feel cramped. 

As above breakfast on balcony, sunbathing, coffee first thing. 
Life has some pleasures & I want to enjoy what suits me as much as I can. 

Id not pay for PH on E class but I would on M or S. Everyone is different. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

A good source is CruiseDeckPlans --- they have a tool for many ships that shows what is above and below your room.   If not available for E-Class you can just look at the deck above.

I just checked and available for Edge --- chose ship go to very bottom Right side and choose Room Checker

Example of 12103 -- I've had it before and was very quiet .

image.png.11836086ba8be8df6c0d2e70d1429824.png

That’s awesome thanks. I’ll check it out for APEX. 

17 hours ago, George C said:

I am sure they all are fine , I might pick 12108 it is between the two penthouse suites and across from Luminae . You probably saved a lot of money doing it with move up, you will love it we did penthouse last year on edge on a move up and another royal suite on summit.

I thought you don’t get extra amenities when you do the move up bid thing? Am I not understanding that correctly? We want to make sure we get the whole thing…free use if all the paid dining places, laundry (hubby works out so that’s a big plus) and the whole good butler. Does that come with the move up?

4 minutes ago, ChefSha said:

I thought you don’t get extra amenities when you do the move up bid thing? Am I not understanding that correctly? We want to make sure we get the whole thing…free use if all the paid dining places, laundry (hubby works out so that’s a big plus) and the whole good butler. Does that come with the move up?

You do get what goes with the cabin type so in a RS you get the two bottles of spirits, free laundry and free speciality restaurants. There are usually spaces kept for suite guests to book either via shoreside concierge or on board.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Gordoncruickshank said:

I have always wished that the would remove the bath and make the balcony more useable on the RS.

Yes, we would probably enjoy the extra space more too although we have used the jacuzzi occasionally! We have at least found the S RS balcony useable, it’s size wouldn’t stop us booking again. Whilst not spacious  compared to the E Class RS balcony it is massive…A dining table two chairs and two lounge chairs compared to two chairs and a drinks table!?!?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, asnaleah said:

I agree with @Gordoncruickshank the hot tubs are a miss for us. I’d be curious to hear from those who use them. 

DW has been known to average over two hours per day in the jacuzzi on an RS balcony. I think she might fight anyone who tries to take it away from her. 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

Why does it matter why they want a big balcony?  We love AFT Sky Suites on S class!  We spend much time in our cabin and the balcony is a huge draw for us!  We have no interest in E class.  Have never experienced soot on Reflection 2208 or 2217.  Great overhang and no intrusive noise from above.

Edited by islabahia
Add info
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Gordoncruickshank said:

I have always wished that the would remove the bath and make the balcony more useable on the RS.

The nice thing about M class is that even with the hot tub, the veranda still has good space.

I think it's only our personal quirk, but on embarkation day, we'll stand for an hour with our first glass of wine after lunch and watch the provisioning process from our veranda if we're on the correct side.  We usually book starboard, on TAs in particular.

• Like 2