Los Angeles—Honolulu

indigosails

4 minutes ago, thermal said:

Doesn't Norwegian do cruises that only stop at the Hawaii islands (American ports)?  

That is a special arrangement within the PVSA, where ship has to be US flagged ( the only mass market ship to be US flagged), and a huge percentage of the staff must be US citizens.  There is no other ship covered by this special arrangement. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thermal said:

Doesn't Norwegian do cruises that only stop at the Hawaii islands (American ports)?  

NCL Pride of America (one ship only) circles Hawaii only (you have to fly to board, unless you happen to live in HI) BUT the way they do this is by staffing the ship with a certain very high percentage of US citizen employees. The fare reflects this.

In what I call the good old days of cruising Hawaii the wife and I flew into Honolulu in 2003 and did a 10-day Norwegian cruise with a stop at Fanning Island. The ship was new and the crew was fantastic. On day three of the cruise on our way out to Fanning there was a medical emergency and a passenger had to be air lifted off the ship. This cause a schedule change where we missed Fanning Island but got a full day in port on Maui instead of a half day. I remember telling the wife at the time remember this cruise because the prices going forward will skyrocket. Once Norwegian pulled three of their ships out of Hawaii the service tumbled and the cost of sailing out of Hawaii got "very expensive"! It took Norwegian years to get the quality where it needed to be. Since then, I have always sailed to Hawaii off of the West coast. My advice would be to do your homework before doing a Hawaiian cruise.      

On 9/20/2022 at 3:02 PM, CruiserBruce said:

Believe it was Celebrity. No, wouldn't violate PVSA. But a considerable logistical situation with all the busing. 

On 9/20/2022 at 2:02 PM, OddHack said:

Didn't one line try one-way cruises at one point from Ensenada to Hawaii, where you would check in in San Diego and be bussed to Ensenada?

I did this on Celebrity and it worked well.  Celebrity had agents at the airport luggage claim waiting for you, and took you directly to their bus.  Took a nice scenic ride down the coast to Ensenada and right to the ship.  There was a large tent-like structure just before you board that had all kinds of little shops, including alcohol.  

• Like 1