NCL Prima - Haven with Family

Aulegacy

4 minutes ago, Cap_D said:

What's your point? Not being able to use the outside Haven pool as a family is a pretty big restriction considering the price, the emphasis on family, and the pseudo luxury experience they are promoting.  

Not really. 

- On all the non-Prima ships with a real Haven, those that have a courtyard pool in the Haven, you and yours can use those pools.  There is no outside Haven pool on these ships. 

- On those ships without a real Haven, there is only one pool, and you and yours can use it as well. 

- On the Prima ships, the only Haven outdoor pool is on deck sixteen and you and yours can use that pool as well. 

So, where is the restriction?

• Like 2

The Haven emphasis is far more on exclusivity and serenity than family. That's why the family stuff is elsewhere on the ship. It doesn't cater to everyone. It's not supposed to, and it's a little illogical to suggest that it should. Should we insist that a bar should be installed in Splash Academy and Entourage so parents can get blasted while their kids play? Almost every single aspect of a cruise involves choices, and every cruiser weighs the choices to see what best fits their needs. You did exactly that. The Haven doesn't fit your needs, so you'll go elsewhere. That's how things are supposed to work. NCL doesn't, and shouldn't, need to customize one aspect of their ships to fit anyone's personal desires to the exclusion of everyone else. I chose the Haven for my next cruise. Is it absolutely everything I want? No. But I'm not being unrealistic and expecting them to change it for my personal benefit. you can't please all the people, all the time.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Not really. 

- On all the non-Prima ships with a real Haven, those that have a courtyard pool in the Haven, you and yours can use those pools.  There is no outside Haven pool on these ships. 

- On those ships without a real Haven, there is only one pool, and you and yours can use it as well. 

- On the Prima ships, the only Haven outdoor pool is on deck sixteen and you and yours can use that pool as well. 

So, where is the restriction?

This!

To  Cap_D

The only thing your child can't use is the outdoor hot tub on the ships that have one, but there is also a hot tub available by the pool.  There are no outdoor "pools" in the Haven, so your child is not missing anything.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Cap_D said:

What's your point? Not being able to use the outside Haven pool as a family is a pretty big restriction considering the price, the emphasis on family, and the pseudo luxury experience they are promoting.  

As others (and I) have said, there is no restriction on children in the Haven pool. What don't you understand about that? Kids are welcome to use the Haven pool. I know @RocketMan275 keeps confusing the issue too, but anyone that is in the Haven, except non-potty trained babies can use the pool in the Haven. Anyone. 

28 minutes ago, omahabob said:

The Haven emphasis is far more on exclusivity and serenity than family. That's why the family stuff is elsewhere on the ship. It doesn't cater to everyone. It's not supposed to, and it's a little illogical to suggest that it should.

Back in 2011, then CEO Kevin Sheehan was asked about families and The Haven...

He was also asked if the Haven suites were built with families in mind. "They'll be upscale," he said. "If you're upscale and you want that experience with a family, then yes. If you go with an upscale line -- I shouldn't really say this -- it'll be an older demographic."

...so people shouldn't expect the slow-motion tranquility of the commercials.😎

• Thanks 1

We were on the Prima in May to Bermuda and we did see children (aged 12-15) in the pool on deck 16 during port days. It is a very small pool - more for a quick dip rather than a swim - and was cold as @Greenpea2 mentioned above. Also note that when you are sailing they drain the pool about halfway so the water does not slosh around. 

IMG_3409.thumb.jpeg.8a11f865810746b35cf568c944d1931e.jpeg

IMG_3411.thumb.jpeg.895560a673870321cb6c9b8cbdfd1ee3.jpeg

1 hour ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Back in 2011, then CEO Kevin Sheehan was asked about families and The Haven...

Gee, I wonder if it's possible we could find conflicting statements from NCL?  😨

As I said earlier, I'm not advocating or supporting either way. I'm just saying they can't please everyone completely, and that if push comes to shove, NCL will almost certainly side with the revenue stream.

Thank you all for the clarifications. 

Still seems to there is too much reliance on the indoor Haven pool (and rooms with views of the pool), if many of the ships don't have an outdoor one.  

19 hours ago, Cap_D said:

Thank you all for the clarifications. 

Still seems to there is too much reliance on the indoor Haven pool (and rooms with views of the pool), if many of the ships don't have an outdoor one.  

I'm unaware of any Haven rooms with views of an indoor pool.  If you're referring to the Breakaway class, there is a hallway between the rooms around the courtyard pool and the pool itself.  

• 2 months later...

We recently returned from a NCL Prima sailing, in the Haven Premier Owners Suite. This included sailing with our 4 children (13, 10, 8, 8).

I can confirm that children are able to use the outdoor Haven Infinity Pool on Deck 16 and there there is no age restriction on this deck.

Upon trying to go to the Deck 17 Haven Sundeck/Pool area, there are signs that state you must be 16 or older (which also do not exist on Deck 16).

We did have one elderly Haven couple complain to one of the Concierges about our kids being in the Deck 16 pool. Once this Concierge confirmed we were staying in the Haven (as we had only ever dealt with a different Concierge, which is another problem in itself) they were informed that only the Deck 17 Sundeck had an age restriction and my children continued to stay on Deck 16. (We also received an extra bottle of Champagne as an apology from the Concierge for this).

NCL has recently updated their phone representatives documents to list that the Deck 16 Haven Sundeck is open to all ages, but that the Deck 17 Haven Sundeck is restricted to ages 16 and older. So if you have additional questions, feel free to reach out to them.

If they would take the time to update their website and deck plans to say this as well (instead of it saying that the "Haven Sundeck" is limited to 16+) there may be less confusion.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, KGBRomeo said:

We recently returned from a NCL Prima sailing, in the Haven Premier Owners Suite. This included sailing with our 4 children (13, 10, 8, 8).

I can confirm that children are able to use the outdoor Haven Infinity Pool on Deck 16 and there there is no age restriction on this deck.

Upon trying to go to the Deck 17 Haven Sundeck/Pool area, there are signs that state you must be 16 or older (which also do not exist on Deck 16).

We did have one elderly Haven couple complain to one of the Concierges about our kids being in the Deck 16 pool. Once this Concierge confirmed we were staying in the Haven (as we had only ever dealt with a different Concierge, which is another problem in itself) they were informed that only the Deck 17 Sundeck had an age restriction and my children continued to stay on Deck 16. (We also received an extra bottle of Champagne as an apology from the Concierge for this).

NCL has recently updated their phone representatives documents to list that the Deck 16 Haven Sundeck is open to all ages, but that the Deck 17 Haven Sundeck is restricted to ages 16 and older. So if you have additional questions, feel free to reach out to them.

If they would take the time to update their website and deck plans to say this as well (instead of it saying that the "Haven Sundeck" is limited to 16+) there may be less confusion.

Thank you @KGBRomeo.  Very much appreciated.  Hope you had a wonderful vacation. 

• 3 months later...

Thanks @KGBRomeo - the definitive answer! This was my expectation, we just booked the same suite as you for our family. Looking forward to it for easter.

Did your 13 year old check out entourage? 13 might be the odd age out if memory serves. The Encore didn't have anything for 13 year olds in 2021.

My daughter will be 15 at that time, I heard Entourage was a section of the kids club for the teens? Did you check it out?

Posted (edited)
On 6/24/2023 at 6:40 PM, omahabob said:

The premise is to have a quiet area where Haven guests can get both sun and swim in a pool, without crowds or interruption from kids. It's one of the things you pay for when booking the Haven. While kids can stay in the Haven, there are other parts of the ship for them to swim and get sun. That's the policy, but as just about anyone who has sailed on Norwegian can testify, the actual practice on ships can, and often does, vary from policy. Take what you can get, with the understanding that if someone complains, the practice would very likely get changed to match the policy. Customers paid a lot of money for that 'fortress of solitude' after all, and Norwegian is unlikely to risk alienating Haven guests (and losing money) by not enforcing their own rules, especially after a complaint has been filed.

And yes, both areas are listed as 16+

That is a false premise.  NCL built the Haven for families with lots of 2 bedrooms suites with bunk beds for the kids.  Its a false assumption that its a kids free zone.  The kid's parents paid the same price as the other Haven suites and they have a right to use the pool.   I often refer to the Haven pool as the kiddie pool with all the little ones diving for their pool toys.  I took one Xmas cruise on Epic and there were 10 kids and teenagers in the Haven hot tub few over 16.  NCL cannot stop this since they are paying guests like everyone else.  Yes there are other parts of the ship for them to swim but why would they go there when there is a pool outside their cabin?  There is a video on youtube that I wont post here because the video is of children but the kids are screaming so loud with the solarium roof closed on the NCL Encore.  One reviewer here posted the Horizon Lounge was used for hide and seek.  The Haven is like a private resort.  Kids do not have separate areas unfortunately.  I wish NCL would create areas for children in the Haven so they can keep many other areas kids-free.  NCL only restricts one sundeck in the Haven 16+.  I think its a myth that NCL ever promoted a "fortress of solitude" as so many claim.  I see it the other way........the Haven is a private area for you and your family to enjoy.  They don't exclude children at all.  They don't and never have promoted it as kids free or a quiet zone.  Its just the reality.   I watched a Viva review from the Haven with kids being kids running in and out of the sauna and snow room and then jumping in the pool.  This is what kids do and the more joy those families and their kids have makes NCL happy.

I only sail when kids are in school if I stay in the Haven.

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Seattle_Guy said:

Well put, @david_sobe!

I can't wait until we can book cruises outside of school vacation times. The cost is much lower!

January and February are the best months for the Caribbean.  The rates are the cheapest and the kids are in school.  However stay clear of President's day week, Valentines Day week, and MLK day week. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, david_sobe said:

That is a false premise.  NCL built the Haven for families with lots of 2 bedrooms suites with bunk beds for the kids....

Most ships only have a couple of two bedroom suites in the Haven. And you can argue that premise with NCL. It's theirs.

7 hours ago, omahabob said:

Most ships only have a couple of two bedroom suites in the Haven. And you can argue that premise with NCL. It's theirs.

I am not arguing with anyone.  I am only stating what factually is in existence.  On smaller Jewel class ships there are only a few Haven suites but there are two bedroom suites and Owners suites with additional sleeping arrangements for children or others.  When NCL really expanded the Haven with Epic and post Epic they flooded the ships with lots of second bedroom, pull down bunk beds for children.  That has been in existence ever since.  NCL like all other cruise lines markets to families thus go cart tracks, laser tag, water slides, etc.  That is their key target market.  The 2 bedroom suites are ideal for families. This is all why there are more kids than ever in the Haven.   I have not seen any marketing from NCL that states " come stay in the Haven for peace and quiet and no children."  Virgin targets the market for people not wanting to cruise with children not allowing anyone under 18 to board. I am not trying to troll you or argue with you just explaining reality of what the Haven is.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, david_sobe said:

I am not arguing with anyone.  I am only stating what factually is in existence.  On smaller Jewel class ships there are only a few Haven suites but there are two bedroom suites and Owners suites with additional sleeping arrangements for children or others.  When NCL really expanded the Haven with Epic and post Epic they flooded the ships with lots of second bedroom, pull down bunk beds for children.  That has been in existence ever since.  NCL like all other cruise lines markets to families thus go cart tracks, laser tag, water slides, etc.  That is their key target market.  The 2 bedroom suites are ideal for families. This is all why there are more kids than ever in the Haven.   I have not seen any marketing from NCL that states " come stay in the Haven for peace and quiet and no children."  Virgin targets the market for people not wanting to cruise with children not allowing anyone under 18 to board. I am not trying to troll you or argue with you just explaining reality of what the Haven is.

They market it as a place for "complete privacy and tranquility." They aren't dumb enough to explicitly exclude kids from the Haven, but the focus in those areas is definitely peace and quiet, which means no loud groups of kids. The PCCs also push it that way. You might also note I was referring to the swim and sundeck areas where kids aren't allowed, so the premise is most definitely not false.

2 hours ago, omahabob said:

You might also note I was referring to the swim and sundeck areas where kids aren't allowed, so the premise is most definitely not false.

I think that the problem started with NCL's website info for Prima's Haven sundeck(s).

Using the same description for both decks lead people to believe that the infinity pool is/was/will be adults-only. Every other Haven pool is all ages. Some people thought that this new class of ship would be different. Some people thought that this new class of ship would be like the previous Havens. As it turns out (according to reports), the pool is for all ages. 

On 9/23/2022 at 3:07 PM, CruiseAF said:

I’m telling you guys, NO KIDS ON EITHER 16 or 17 SUNDECK. 

On our Bliss cruise last year, 16+ were allowed on the sundeck with the infinity pool. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone, what's up?

I know this is an NCL Prima forum, but I'm going on the Viva in July with my kids and we have a Family 2bedroom suite at The Haven. 
Has anyone been on Viva? 
Can children use the pool in The Haven?

It doesn't make sense that only on these two ships (Prima and Viva) children can't use the pool ate The Haven.