Seriously, Princess?!?!

tonit964

2 hours ago, san diego sue said:

When this happened to us on Discovery, we got all the information from Princess. We were lucky that terminal 93 wasn't being used by another cruise ship so check in was in there, boarding buses, and luggage drop off. Wonder how you can check in if another ship is also checking in there.

Also people wanting to park at parking lot, none at 46 , so would have to at pier 92, 93.

We were lucky that returning cruise was at 93 so luggage pick up and car parked was  right there.

Our experience for Discovery’s inaugural cruise boarding was the same & our situation differed from today’s for Sapphire. B93 was vacant so we could drop off bags, check-in & be bused to B55 to go through security to board the ship. Discovery’s inaugural cruise was not allowed to dock at B93 because it was too long for the berth limits at that time. Turnaround day for the 2nd cruise allowed Discovery to dock at B93. But Sapphire is at B46 because other ships are at B93 & B92 and agree that it might not be possible to use B93 to process 2 ships.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Interesting.  I don't think I've ever received information from any cruise line with details about the embarkation port.  Never thought to be worried about it until I read this thread. 

The details are on the booking summary page. Just click on the "From" port and the details will open. I've displayed examples below.

Booking.jpg

A P.jpg

Edited by sloopsailor
  • Like 2

• If you feel uncomfortable about your checking your luggage at one pier and sailing from a different pier, take it aboard yourself providing you don't have a lot of bags. I can't remember the last time we checked our luggage at the pier. Since we refuse to fly anymore  95% of our cruises are out of Fort Lauderdale and usually 7 day cruises, we pack with what we absolutely need, we each take 1 large and a shoulder bag. I have a drawer at home that I keep just my cruising clothes except for dress slacks and shirts which are in my closet and of course shoes, we take 4 cruises a year and sort of have packing down to a science.
  • We've been cruising for 40 years and have noticed more and more people bringing their bags aboard as you avoid long waits for your luggage to arrive a your stateroom and able to unpack right after lunch. There is also the possibility of lost luggage which has happened to us a few times.
Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

Berth 46 is a unique situation 

So what? Like you described in your previous port, it's "easy peasy".

Passengers will be directed appropriately when they arrive. This happens all over the world more often than people realize. Even in the San Francisco example I gave, when two or more ships are in port at the same time, people will be directed to the appropriate location to drop their luggage, check in, and board. This has happened to us on two cruises. For instance,  - in Amsterdam the ship was changed to a location away from the city center due to a problem with the usual docking area. After checking in we were transferred to the container port where we boarded. No big deal!

People are making a mountain out of this molehill. 

Edited by sloopsailor

31 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:
  • If you feel uncomfortable about your checking your luggage at one pier and sailing from a different pier, take it aboard yourself providing you don't have a lot of bags. I can't remember the last time we checked our luggage at the pier. Since we refuse to fly anymore  95% of our cruises are out of Fort Lauderdale and usually 7 day cruises, we pack with what we absolutely need, we each take 1 large and a shoulder bag. I have a drawer at home that I keep just my cruising clothes except for dress slacks and shirts which are in my closet and of course shoes, we take 4 cruises a year and sort of have packing down to a science.
  • We've been cruising for 40 years and have noticed more and more people bringing their bags aboard as you avoid long waits for your luggage to arrive a your stateroom and able to unpack right after lunch. There is also the possibility of lost luggage which has happened to us a few times.

All carry-on luggage needs to go through the scanner, can 28" luggage fit into the scanner?  If so, I would like to carry it on myself instead of checking it in.

3 minutes ago, chubbypiggy said:

All carry-on luggage needs to go through the scanner, can 28" luggage fit into the scanner?  If so, I would like to carry it on myself instead of checking it in.

Same machines as the airport so should fit.

2 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

Same machines as the airport so should fit.

Same machine as the airport at TSA for carry-on?  I don't think a 28" luggage will fit through those TSA scanners at the security check-in point.  Airport check-in luggages go through a different size scanner, and those scanners are large.

• Like 2

At least the OP is only dealing` with two different piers at the same port. Those of us sailing out of NYC for months have been told that we could be sailing out of one of two cruise ports. While I have known that our port was Brooklyn for months by looking at the port schedule, many have been confused and wondering where to book hotels pre-cruise. As you can see below, even though they clarified that we indeed are sailing out of Brooklyn, they didn't bother to take 10 seconds to delete Manhattan from the itinerary.

Sat, 10/29/22 New York City (manhattan Or Brooklyn), New York
View general port information
Brooklyn Cruise Terminal
Pier 12
72 Bowne Street
Brooklyn, Ny 11231
Www.Nycruiseterminal.Com

43 minutes ago, sloopsailor said:

No. Others simply have a different perspective than you. Berth 46 is unusual. So unusual that luggage is being loaded into U-Haul trucks and folks are being bussed by groups from 90-93 to large white tents at 46. Princess is sending out conflicting or incomplete information.

It's not that it's a BIG DEAL. It's that it is an unusual situation. The whole thing will run smoothly if people are properly informed. In your version of the universe, people should just show up to 90-93 and read the signs. It follows that, according to you, folks should just show up wherever and whenever without researching the port/city beforehand and simply read the signs when they get there. No seasoned traveler would ever recommend that.

Why are you even arguing this? It should be obvious that things work better when people know what to expect. That's all.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, sloopsailor said:

The details are on the booking summary page. Just click on the "From" port and the details will open. I've displayed examples below.

Booking.jpg

A P.jpg

Thanks.  I've never looked at that before.   And actually, those details are just a summary of the port facility.   If multiple piers are in use it doesn't say which one is scheduled.   Like I said, I've never worried about this.  I see no need to start now.  

7 hours ago, sloopsailor said:

So what? Like you described in your previous port, it's "easy peasy".

Passengers will be directed appropriately when they arrive. This happens all over the world more often than people realize. Even in the San Francisco example I gave, when two or more ships are in port at the same time, people will be directed to the appropriate location to drop their luggage, check in, and board. This has happened to us on two cruises. For instance,  - in Amsterdam the ship was changed to a location away from the city center due to a problem with the usual docking area. After checking in we were transferred to the container port where we boarded. No big deal!

Meaning the poster won't find details on the summary page. 🙄

19 hours ago, Outerdog said:

No. Others simply have a different perspective than you. Berth 46 is unusual. So unusual that luggage is being loaded into U-Haul trucks and folks are being bussed by groups from 90-93 to large white tents at 46. Princess is sending out conflicting or incomplete information.

It's not that it's a BIG DEAL. It's that it is an unusual situation. The whole thing will run smoothly if people are properly informed. In your version of the universe, people should just show up to 90-93 and read the signs. It follows that, according to you, folks should just show up wherever and whenever without researching the port/city beforehand and simply read the signs when they get there. No seasoned traveler would ever recommend that.

Why are you even arguing this? It should be obvious that things work better when people know what to expect. That's all.

Exactly this.

It turned out OK, it was very easy. We had our Uber driver take us to 46 and they handled everything there. We did und up just bringing our bags with us on the ship.

Apparently there were no shuttles to take people that were leaving their cars and no one there knew anything about it is what I heard from someone in the roll call. They ended up taking a cab. 

It was actually a very easy embarkation but only because we got dropped off.

Princess failed on this one though.

• Like 3