Cruise with an infant

krazy4kruisin

2 minutes ago, krazy4kruisin said:

We are thinking about cruising to Alaska out of Seattle next June. We have offered to pay for our DD & SIL and their baby who will be 10m  most old. Has anyone 

cruised with an infant? Any challenges or advise on things that we should consider? 

Do a search here regarding your question and you’ll find that cruising with an infant is not considered by many to be a good idea.

And, most importantly, Covid will not have disappeared by then.

Back in 2016 our daughter, son-in-law, and 11 month old granddaughter took a 5 day Caribbean cruise and all had a wonderful time.  Both parents worked and looked at it as 5 unscheduled days to be with the baby but not have to do any chores.  They didn't go on any excursions but did walk around the ports with the baby in a stroller.  On board they were so surprised that many of the crew, missing their own children, stopped to talk with them and even offered to hold her in the dining room and buffet.  The parents still talk about how much fun they had and how restful it was for them and baby (who I have to admit was a very calm and quiet baby).

I second the recommendation to check out the family cruising forum.  Our daughter got lots of ideas from it.

• Like 1

We cruised with an 11 month old and later with a 10 month old, had a great time, just as capriccio's kids did. Yes, the staff will fuss over them. Make sure you bring everything you need that the cruise ship won't provide. We had to take diapers and a crib on our Danube cruise, for instance. It was much easier to take the breast fed baby than the bottle fed baby. We took a few excursions and split up a few times, the babies did not need both parents. It would have been nice to have capable grandparents along to sit for the kids at times.

My only caution would be to double check the cruise line to see if they have a splash area for children in diapers. I believe Disney does, maybe Royal Caribbean, but part of the reason we waited to take our kids is due to the potty training issue. If your kids aren’t potty trained and I’m assuming at 10mo the infant isn’t, there’s not much they can do in the water. 

I don’t think a splash area will be high on the list of a 10 month old, especially in Alaska.  Keep in mind that you can stock up with diapers, etc in Seattle, and if you run low, Alaska is not a third world country.  They do have Walmart.  
You will be paying third person fare for the baby - no discount for age or size unless you choose a line that has a kids sail free offer.  EM

Choose your cruise line wisely. And choose your cabins carefully.  You don’t want to deal with complaining neighbors.   Out and about people are usually enchanted  with a well behaved baby. 

Edited by Mary229