Picking a Mediterranean cruise

lluvia2rain

Appreciate your help.  First trip to Europe 3 adults and two girls (10,14) coming from california.  Last time in Europe was 30 years ago.  We are trying to pick a cruise leaving last weekend of may/first week June 2023.  Looking for family friendly, we love water hoping to swim, eating 🙂 and seeing big sights. Don’t want kids or us to get bored.

1.  Athens, Mykonos, zakynthos,  Cofu, kotor, dobrovnick, koper, venice. NW gem

2. Rome, Naples, caliari, Mallorca, Ibiza, Barcelona, Cannes, Livorno, Livorno, Rome.  NW epic (they also have this RT from Barcelona versus Rome) 

3. Rome, Santorini, Mykonos, Cofu, Malta, Sicily, Naples, Livorno, Rome.  NW breakaway.

1 minute ago, LizikinsLivesToCruise said:

I would choose the Epic from Rome (not Barcelona). You get the big sights and swim in Cagliari, Mallorca and Ibiza.

And Cannes. There is a very small beach right next to the Tender terminal.

• Like 1

We have completed both western Mediterranean round trip out of both Barcelona (Aug 2022) and Rome (Nov 2014).  With the family (2 adults and 3 kids), I thought Barcelona was a better port for starting and finishing in Europe.  Our final day after debarkation was spent in Castelldefels before returning to the US.  In Rome, the port is an hour train ride outside of the city.  Either city would be great for exploring a day or two before or after the cruise.  Both trips were very port intensive, no sea days.  As for the ships, we have been on the Epic (2022) and Jade (2014, sister to the Gem), both provide quality amenities.  I would say there are more on the Epic and likely more on the Breakaway.  The unique set up of the bathrooms should not deter you from the Epic, but staterooms with beds closer to the balcony would be my preference.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, lluvia2rain said:

Appreciate your help.  First trip to Europe 3 adults and two girls (10,14) coming from california.  Last time in Europe was 30 years ago.  We are trying to pick a cruise leaving last weekend of may/first week June 2023.  Looking for family friendly, we love water hoping to swim, eating 🙂 and seeing big sights. Don’t want kids or us to get bored.

1.  Athens, Mykonos, zakynthos,  Cofu, kotor, dobrovnick, koper, venice. NW gem

2. Rome, Naples, caliari, Mallorca, Ibiza, Barcelona, Cannes, Livorno, Livorno, Rome.  NW epic (they also have this RT from Barcelona versus Rome) 

3. Rome, Santorini, Mykonos, Cofu, Malta, Sicily, Naples, Livorno, Rome.  NW breakaway.

Unless your into ancient Greek culture I would go with number 2.   It gives you a great mix of different cities in Spain, France and Italy.  Cruise 3 is more of a dive into Italy with a side visit to Malta. 

There are lots of things to see in Rome and give the distance from the port to the city, you will be limited in what you can see.  That would be the motivation for starting there.   

Barcelona has the cruise ships close to downtown. I would be happy with either option.   

Cannes is an interesting city to visit it is also an easy train ride to Monaco if that is something your more interested in.  

17 hours ago, BaWBarmy said:

And Cannes. There is a very small beach right next to the Tender terminal.

On our very first cruise, my DW swam at that beach.  She loved it, but she said the place she changed into her swimsuit (a bathroom I think) was the most disgusting place she had ever been. 😢

7 hours ago, em-sk said:

Cannes is an interesting city to visit it is also an easy train ride to Monaco if that is something your more interested in.  

You can also get to Nice from that port stop. It was our very first ever port, and still one of the best DIY days we ever had on a cruise. We went to Nice and to both the Matisse and Chagall Museums. Later DW swam in the Mediterranean while I watched our stuff. She sat us by some topless (I assume) French women so I would not be bored. 😊

The second time we were there, we explored Cannes. I agree it is an interesting port.

I’m looking at similar itineraries. Tough choice!  The weather should be comfortable in May, early June, but keep in mind the water temperatures will be cooler at some locations. Personally, I wouldn’t go to Europe for the beaches since you are from California, you might be disappointed. Go for the history, art, culture, scenery, and ambiance. 

The Croatia and Greek Islands cruises are best for beaches and scenery.  Celebrity cruises have good scenic itineraries that include Villefranche, Portofino, La Spezia (Cinque Terre), Malta, Santorini and Mykonos. Celebrity gives you more day time at these ports so you can sight see and visit the beach. It also has fewer passengers. There may be fewer kids on board in May, June.

The travel to Athens and out of Venice will be more expensive and a hassle. The Venice port is over two hours from Venice. You will spend a lot of time and money on travel. The Barcelona port is very close to the airport and the sights. The hotels are a little more affordable. Rome has so much to see, it would be great place to start a cruise if you can afford to spend a few days there ahead of the trip.    

I haven’t sailed on a NCL cruise, but used to live in Europe. So I can’t comment on the ships only the sights. I’m concerned about the bad reviews of the Epic, enough so that I decided not to book a cruise on her. The CC community says it’s good enough to enjoy the trip because you spend most of your day at the ports on a Mediterranean cruise. Look at the reviews of all your ships and decide what works for you. 

Your family is going to have a wonderful time. 

We sailed on the Epic in a mini- suite with our then 13 year old son.  The itinerary was great.  We also enjoyed the ship.  My teen son enjoyed the water slides and sports court.  We enjoyed the shows,dining, and thermal spa.  We did start in Rome ( Civitavecchia) and spent three days there pre-cruise.

Edited by Crazy planning mom

i have done both a western Mediterranean cruise and an eastern Mediterranean cruise within the last 13 months.

i would choose #2 out of Barcelona (if you can fly in a few days early). nice mix of Spain, Italy and a touch of France. 

that said you really cant go wrong with any of those.

• Like 1

Yes, we have done the Western Mediterranean (twice) and the Eastern Mediterranean (once), and you cannot go wrong.

One advantage to starting in Barcelona over Rome is that the ship actually sails from Barcelona. Rome is not really a port; the ship sails from Civitavecchia.

While the Greek cruises are loaded with history and ancient architecture, I've always remember my Western Med cruises with the most romance and nostalgia.

You cannot beat a day or two under the shadow of Vesuvius in the Bay of Naples.  To do that along with Rome is outstanding.

So number two or three.  Throwing Malta in there is kind of a dealmaker for me.

Definitely #2. We did the 7 night from Rome to Barcelona at the end of May. My SO had not been to Italy or Spain and it was a great way for him to see some of the major sites. We flew in and out of Rome, but friends who did the same trip in July went in and out of Barcelona and loved it too. It really depends on where you want to spend more time, and the best flight options.