Can we get on in a port other than the embark port?

pamwigs

If you want Seward to LA and they only have LA to LA, you may have to pay for unused LA to Seward part of the cruise but embarkation along the route used to be ok before COVID pandemic started - once upon a time, we missed Miami embarkation due to the weather related flight delay and had to fly to StMaarten to catch the ship, and my brother embarked the ship in Barbados instead of Puerto Rico;

COVID changed things; last January, we were told that since everyone had to be tested at embarkation, no further embarkation along the route were allowed. Since testing is being phased out, I expect embarkation along the route to be permitted again but I’d rather check it with the cruise line.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, andrcan said:

If you want Seward to LA and they only have LA to LA, you may have to pay for unused LA to Seward part of the cruise but embarkation along the route used to be ok before COVID pandemic started - once upon a time, we missed Miami embarkation due to the weather related flight delay and had to fly to StMaarten to catch the ship, and my brother embarked the ship in Barbados instead of Puerto Rico;

A different situation  & not always allowed 

44 minutes ago, andrcan said:

COVID changed things; last January, we were told that since everyone had to be tested at embarkation, no further embarkation along the route were allowed. Since testing is being phased out, I expect embarkation along the route to be permitted again but I’d rather check it with the cruise line.

Hope this helps.

No, you can't do a Seward to LA cruise because that would violate the Passenger Vessel Services Act. That type of itinerary from one US port to a different US port requires a port call at what is known as a distant foreign port, but there are no distant foreign ports within thousands of miles of that itinerary.

The examples you cited were of a completely different type of itinerary where you and your brother eventually embarked in foreign countries, which eliminated the PVSA issue.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

A different situation  & not always allowed 

Seward to LA is never allowed. Seward to LA would violate the PVSA, even if you paid for LA to LA.

Boarding in a foreign port such as St. Maarten eliminates that problem.

(edited to be more specific)

Edited by njhorseman

9 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

No, you can't do a Seward to LA cruise because that would violate the Passenger Vessel Services Act. That type of itinerary from one US port to a different US port requires a port call at what is known as a distant foreign port, but there are no distant foreign ports within thousands of miles of that itinerary.

The examples you cited were of a completely different type of itinerary where you and your brother eventually embarked in foreign countries, which eliminated the PVSA issue.

My understanding was, there’s a $798 pp fine for PVSC violation that the cruise line would ask the passengers to pay, otherwise it’s ok to travel.

14 minutes ago, andrcan said:

My understanding was, there’s a $798 pp fine for PVSC violation that the cruise line would ask the passengers to pay, otherwise it’s ok to travel.

Yes, there's a fine for PVSA violations but cruise lines do not intentionally permit passengers to violate it as intentional violations can get cruise line in a lot of additional trouble with the US government beyond mere payment of the per passenger fine. Intentional violations potentially could result in something as drastic as revocation of the cruise line's right to dock in US ports.

Cruise lines will not even allow unintentional violations of their own making. There was a recent discussion on Cruise Critic about a different cruise line that accidentally let some passengers book a prohibited itinerary on a B2B cruise and they required those passengers to change their plans at the last minute, having them disembark in Victoria, stay overnight in Canada, travel from Victoria to Vancouver and then re board the ship in Vancouver the next day.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, andrcan said:

Wow, I thought this would be some kinda obsolete act that no one really cares about… Thanks, this is good to know.

It is  an out of date  Act  but  still being enforced 😉

2 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

It is  an out of date  Act  but  still being enforced 😉

Canada has a similar cabotage law, as do other countries. Apparently many countries don't consider them obsolete. 

Canada has a single maritime cabotage law, the Coasting Trade Act, that governs the transportation of both cargo and passengers, while the US has one law for passengers, the PVSA, and another law for cargo, the Jones Act.

8 minutes ago, pamwigs said:

Sorry I should have been clearer.

Cruise starts in LA and ends in Singapore.  55 days

The first 5 ports are here in Alaska. We want to skip them and Board in Seward Alaska, before going to Asia 

That's absolutely legal but it's Oceania discretion as to whether to permit it. You'll almost surely be charged for the full itinerary even if Oceania approves the downline embarkation.

15 minutes ago, pamwigs said:

Sorry I should have been clearer.

Cruise starts in LA and ends in Singapore.  55 days

The first 5 ports are here in Alaska. We want to skip them and Board  here in Seward Alaska, before going to Asia 

It is best to include ALL the facts  when asking  a question instead of the piece meal approach 🤔

Contact Oceania   about your wishes   & ask for  permission in writing 

It is not  just a matter of showing up at the port   the cruise line must deal with the authorities in the ports

• Like 1

2 hours ago, njhorseman said:

That's absolutely legal but it's Oceania discretion as to whether to permit it. You'll almost surely be charged for the full itinerary even if Oceania approves the downline embarkation.

Which is ok. We just want to eliminate flying to LA when we can just drive to Seward. 

2 hours ago, LHT28 said:

It is best to include ALL the facts  when asking  a question instead of the piece meal approach 🤔

Contact Oceania   about your wishes   & ask for  permission in writing 

It is not  just a matter of showing up at the port   the cruise line must deal with the authorities in the ports

Thanks for your expert advice. 🙄

I know we have to ask the cruise line and I did update and explained my situation. 

4 minutes ago, pamwigs said:

Sorry I should have been clearer.

Cruise starts in LA and ends in Singapore.  55 days

The first 5 ports are here in Alaska. We want to skip them and Board in Seward Alaska, before going to Asia 

Is this in 2023?

Looks like you want to board  10 day later than embarkation day

You will probably still pay the full fare   so if it is worth the $$  not to fly to LA & miss 10 days  of the cruise  then  best to contact the cruise line  before you get too far in your plans