IONA - 24th September Spain & Portugal

GSPG

Over the Summer this ship has had a weekly itinerary mainly to the Fjords.

Be interesting to hear accounts from any members currently on this cruise if they are able to which is on it’s travels for 2 weeks.

I understand many of the crew are suffering with covid which will impact on numbers serving guests.

Hearing recently that Ventura made guests put masks on after day 8 of a two week cruise because of higher numbers of covid, will the same happen on Iona on it’s first two week cruise for some time?

Yes it will be interesting to hear how it is with a 2 week cruise after doing 7 night cruises when maybe many of  the passengers have left the ship before covid symptoms show.

We tend to think of the impact of passengers with covid while on board and how it impacts them but of course the crew will be just as susceptible....if not more....so that must reflect in the service that they can give and consequently the overall enjoyment of the cruise.

Methinks Covid.....once again... is going to become a problem with cruising.

Edited by janny444

2 hours ago, janny444 said:

Yes it will be interesting to hear how it is with a 2 week cruise after doing 7 night cruises when maybe many of  the passengers have left the ship before covid symptoms show.

We tend to think of the impact of passengers with covid while on board and how it impacts them but of course the crew will be just as susceptible....if not more....so that must reflect in the service that they can give and consequently the overall enjoyment of the cruise.

Methinks Covid.....once again... is going to become a problem with cruising.

I think people are/will have to get used to this. The novovirus was rife on ships before covid, and arguably made most more sick (quite literally) than covid where some don’t even know they had it, unbelievably!

You’d also think by now all crew would have had it. Not to say you can’t get it more than once, but less should be suffering, you would have thought.

I thought we were done with the masks on board. I don’t want to go back to those times and a reminder of the ‘darker days’. If it’s that dangerous, should we really be cruising still?

Money before safety, to the detriment of the guests?

It’s either okay to cruise or not, and the experience is spoiled by mask wearing. They should not get us on board with the experience changing half way through.

It should be either all or nothing, before you sail.

1 hour ago, GSPG said:

The novovirus was rife on ships before covid, and arguably made most more sick (quite literally) than covid where some don’t even know they had it, unbelievably!

There is I think, a significant difference between covid and norovirus. Covid is airborne and is difficult to avoid when with groups of people who don't wear masks. Norovirus however is contact spread and therefore much simpler to avoid, basic good hygeine, regular hand washing and and keeping your fingers away from your face. In 10 years of regular cruising, on some ships where norovirus became a big problem, we have never once contracted it. 

Avril

• Like 2

On this cruise at the moment , no requirement to wear masks but all crew wearing them , we have worn them whilst queuing for theatre etc .

Just about to get off in Barcelona, Valencia has been cancelled due to shuttle bus issues and replaced with Malaga .

No complaints as yet although many people we speak to are not happy with the booking app for meals /entertainment etc , long queue  at reception 1sr couple of days .

Generally slow service in MDR ‘s  with some people missing show in theatre immediately after .

Quite impressed with the ship and glad we pre booked the Retreat .

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JB9302 said:

On this cruise at the moment , no requirement to wear masks but all crew wearing them , we have worn them whilst queuing for theatre etc .

Just about to get off in Barcelona, Valencia has been cancelled due to shuttle bus issues and replaced with Malaga .

No complaints as yet although many people we speak to are not happy with the booking app for meals /entertainment etc , long queue  at reception 1sr couple of days .

Generally slow service in MDR ‘s  with some people missing show in theatre immediately after .

Quite impressed with the ship and glad we pre booked the Retreat .

Can I ask did you pre-book the Retreat or once onboard? Have you booked for the whole voyage or certain days? Thanks.

12 minutes ago, smokey01 said:

I'm also on this cruise. It has been wonderful. I have no knowledge of any covid issues. We did book 8pm in one of the MDRs every night and have had no issues with service. 

Hi

Glad you are enjoying the cruise. Are you able to advise what restaurants are open for food at the moment please.

Thanks

3 hours ago, excitedcruisemummy said:

Hi

Glad you are enjoying the cruise. Are you able to advise what restaurants are open for food at the moment please.

Thanks

Everything is open, the only thing maybe not open is food in the Glass House as the Horizon only mentions it in terms of 'enjoy a glass of wine in the Glass House'. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We only booked last week for the cruise departing this saturday on ventura to spain and portugal naively thinking people would need to provide PCRs to prove their current status, not just say "oh yes actually we came into contact with Covid within the last 10 days so we'll forgo this cruise and will no longer get any future cruise credit"

Then I came onto CC to check out the shore stops and stumbled on the covid outbreak on Ventura plus the issues with insurance should you be unlucky enough to catch covid onboard. After phoning P&O quick smart and within 24 hours, they denied there were any issues. They later agreed there was a problem but said there was no reason they should warn passengers that they might need to wear masks onboard. They say they're following government advice on Covid (!) and no chance of future CC

We're immune suppressed (wear masks when we need to) but with asthma too I find ongoing mask wearing hard work and would never have booked now. Also had missed that numbers were increasing in the UK somehow

After seeking legal advice we got nowhere, so we have decided to put it down as a big expensive mistake on our part, not worth putting ourselves at the increased risk and we also did not like the way we were treated on the phone. It took three calls and providing evidence we found on here to stop them saying things were heresy and were not happening on Ventura - we feel they continue to sell a near capacity cruise without passengers being fully aware of the current situation. It also shirks responsibility not to insist on customers providing PCRs to keep others safe and just serves to pretend there's no issue! We will never sail with the company again and it my be our nearly third and last cruise ever - shame

I hope everyone has a lovely time and stays well

12 minutes ago, s&gsjollies said:

We only booked last week for the cruise departing this saturday on ventura to spain and portugal naively thinking people would need to provide PCRs to prove their current status, not just say "oh yes actually we came into contact with Covid within the last 10 days so we'll forgo this cruise and will no longer get any future cruise credit"

Then I came onto CC to check out the shore stops and stumbled on the covid outbreak on Ventura plus the issues with insurance should you be unlucky enough to catch covid onboard. After phoning P&O quick smart and within 24 hours, they denied there were any issues. They later agreed there was a problem but said there was no reason they should warn passengers that they might need to wear masks onboard. They say they're following government advice on Covid (!) and no chance of future CC

We're immune suppressed (wear masks when we need to) but with asthma too I find ongoing mask wearing hard work and would never have booked now. Also had missed that numbers were increasing in the UK somehow

After seeking legal advice we got nowhere, so we have decided to put it down as a big expensive mistake on our part, not worth putting ourselves at the increased risk and we also did not like the way we were treated on the phone. It took three calls and providing evidence we found on here to stop them saying things were heresy and were not happening on Ventura - we feel they continue to sell a near capacity cruise without passengers being fully aware of the current situation. It also shirks responsibility not to insist on customers providing PCRs to keep others safe and just serves to pretend there's no issue! We will never sail with the company again and it my be our nearly third and last cruise ever - shame

I hope everyone has a lovely time and stays well

I'm sorry this happened to you.  I note you took legal advice, may I ask who from and on which points please?  

I'm currently looking into the insurance issues with ABTA and the FCA so anything said might be of interest. Thank you.

22 minutes ago, s&gsjollies said:

We only booked last week for the cruise departing this saturday on ventura to spain and portugal naively thinking people would need to provide PCRs to prove their current status,

Im sorry you didn’t check on  the P &O website which stated the protocol and this wasn’t required.
. However I do think they are not very forthcoming with the incidence of covid on the ships. I hope the incidence of covid will reduce with the advent of the fourth booster. 

1 hour ago, Gettingwarmer said:

However I do think they are not very forthcoming with the incidence of covid on the ships

No cruise line does,  and it is irrelevant anyway. What happened on the last cruise has no bearing on the next cruise.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, s&gsjollies said:

If you read the P&O web page,  it clearly states that PCR tests are not required. Indeed, they have not been required for some time. 

Why did you think that P&O,  or indeed any cruise line required PCR testing ?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, wowzz said:

If you read the P&O web page,  it clearly states that PCR tests are not required. Indeed, they have not been required for some time. 

Why did you think that P&O,  or indeed any cruise line required PCR testing ?

I believe the lady's husband did the booking over the telephone direct with P&O and was not made aware testing of any kind had been dropped.  Having not made a direct booking myself with P&O in the last few months, I cannot say with certainty the current process, but when making my now cancelled October one there was no direct mention of testing either way, ie needed or not.  There was a read out statement about vaccination and insurance and mention their full terms and conditions could be found on their website. Actually thinking about it, at no point did anyone ask if I actually had access to said website and of course many older passengers say on here that they don’t.

I've just looked at my direct December 2023 booking receipt from P&O which is a direct booking made by telephone as I was using some compensation funds on a moved December 2022 booking.  There are no terms and conditions or any link to them, just a mention they are as per the website.  Although emailed in my case I assume anyone who doesn't have electronic access to either email or the website must get them sent through the post. If so is there a copy of all the stuff about covid protocols and requirements sent with that confirmation?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I believe the lady's husband did the booking over the telephone direct with P&O and was not made aware testing of any kind had been dropped.  Having not made a direct booking myself with P&O in the last few months, I cannot say with certainty the current process, but when making my now cancelled October one there was no direct mention of testing either way, ie needed or not.  There was a read out statement about vaccination and insurance and mention their full terms and conditions could be found on their website. Actually thinking about it, at no point did anyone ask if I actually had access to said website and of course many older passengers say on here that they don’t.

I've just looked at my direct December 2023 booking receipt from P&O which is a direct booking made by telephone as I was using some compensation funds on a moved December 2022 booking.  There are no terms and conditions or any link to them, just a mention they are as per the website.  Although emailed in my case I assume anyone who doesn't have electronic access to either email or the website must get them sent through the post. If so is there a copy of all the stuff about covid protocols and requirements sent with that confirmation?

On 14th September, I received an email relating to our Ventura cruise at the end of this month. It outlined the revised vaccination and testing requirements which are still on force at the moment. It made it very clear that full vaccination was a requirement but that testing was no longer compulsory but strongly recommended. This came by email because that is my selected line of communication. I presume that those who choose to be notified by post, received a letter.

I agree though that it would be good practice to tell those booking late that the protocols have changed. That said, if you book by phone, there is recorded notification of the policy as you wait to be put through to an agent and if booking online (something I would never do apart from a dummy booking to check availability and accurate pricing), you cannot proceed to book without ‘checking the box’ to notify them that you have read the vaccination and testing policies that appear on screen. Personally, if booking well in advance, I see no point outlining the protocols when booking or on the booking confirmation because they are likely to change but an update such as the one we received a few weeks before the cruise departs seems to be good practice. 

Presumably those who use an agent to handle their booking have to rely on their agent passing the information on to their client. 

Edited by pete14
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, pete14 said:

On 14th September, I received an email relating to our Ventura cruise at the end of this month. It outlined the revised vaccination and testing requirements which are still on force at the moment. It made it very clear that full vaccination was a requirement but that testing was no longer compulsory but strongly recommended. This came by email because that is my selected line of communication. I presume that those who choose to be notified by post, received a letter.

I agree though that it would be good practice to tell those booking late that the protocols have changed. That said, if you book by phone, there is recorded notification of the policy as you wait to be put through to an agent and if booking online (something I would never do apart from a dummy booking to check availability and accurate pricing), you cannot proceed to book without ‘checking the box’ to notify them that you have read the vaccination and testing policies that appear on screen. Personally, if booking well in advance, I see no point outlining the protocols when booking or on the booking confirmation because they are likely to change but an update such as the one we received a few weeks before the cruise departs seems to be good practice. 

Presumably those who use an agent to handle their booking have to rely on their agent passing the information on to their client. 

Thanks for the clarification.  As someone who generally uses a travel agent, my only direct telephone bookings have been the two I mentioned as they had personal compensation awards to me that did not show on my P&O account

Regarding the email of my requirements I did get this for my Christmas cruise a couple of weeks back and this coincided with the change on 5 September, that cruise however had been booked on release so I was aware nothing was set in stone at the time I booked.  I have a very laid back attitude to the covid rules realising they can change like the wind!

Regarding the lady and gentleman who thought there was a PCR test they were a very late booking, only last week.  To add to this there has been postal disruption due to strike action so they may not even have received the booking confirmation before they saw CC and panicked!  

All of this is of course irrelevant, although if the lady can access CC she must have some internet connection. Others however may not.

Your point on updates is a good one.  When I sailed with Celebrity earlier this year they published a cruise by cruise guide of vaccination, testing and country requirements.  This was very easy to check if you were looking to book and once booked you received immediate notification is anything changed for your voyage alone which meant little confusion - well apart from Italy constantly changing the number of days before sailing your test was required. With voyages booked many months or even years before sailing this voyage by voyage approach would be immensely helpful and also if pointed out at the time of booking either by the telephone agent, t/a or the website could help to stop the I wasn't told problems.

Edited by Megabear2
Auto correct gone mad!
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

I believe the lady's husband did the booking over the telephone direct with P&O and was not made aware testing of any kind had been dropped.  Having not made a direct booking myself with P&O in the last few months, I cannot say with certainty the current process, but when making my now cancelled October one there was no direct mention of testing either way, ie needed or not.  There was a read out statement about vaccination and insurance and mention their full terms and conditions could be found on their website.

When I made a telephone booking through a travel agent a few weeks ago for a cruise in late October the agent clearly stated what the current COVID protocols for boarding were (vaccination and recommended day before LFT) and specifically checked I understood and could meet them.

As well there was a question from the agent about any health issues which might cause problems, and I would have expected that if someone mentioned that both people on the booking had medical conditions that caused them to be immune suppressed and that contracting COVID would cause them serious problems then that would have resulted in further questioning about their ability to travel.

I would find it hard to believe that direct phone bookings with P&O don't currently follow a similar script (when I booked direct with P&O some years ago by phone they certainly had the health question), but if the person who is complaining doesn't believe they were asked the questions and it wasn't simply a case of them assuming something to be the case when it is not, then as P&O record booking calls (or certainly did in the past as I had cause to make use of this due to a dispute about what was said) then they should ask P&O to check the recording.

Edited by picsa

29 minutes ago, picsa said:

When I made a telephone booking through a travel agent a few weeks ago for a cruise in late October the agent clearly stated what the current COVID protocols for boarding were (vaccination and recommended day before LFT) and specifically checked I understood and could meet them.

As well there was a question from the agent about any health issues which might cause problems, and I would have expected that if someone mentioned that both people on the booking had medical conditions that caused them to be immune suppressed and that contracting COVID would cause them serious problems then that would have resulted in further questioning about their ability to travel.

I would find it hard to believe that direct phone bookings with P&O don't currently follow a similar script (when I booked direct with P&O some years ago by phone they certainly had the health question), but if the person who is complaining doesn't believe they were asked the questions and it wasn't simply a case of them assuming something to be the case when it is not, then as P&O record booking calls (or certainly did in the past as I had cause to make use of this due to a dispute about what was said) then they should ask P&O to check the recording.

I agree my t/a also gives all relevant information.  I know very little of direct bookings which is why I asked if we know if all agents ask the type of questions you mention.  I've done a dummy booking online and there is some information but not in my opinion enough to fully explain.

Listening to the recording is a good idea but I think the lady is too distressed to have thought of that unfortunately.

12 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

I'm sorry this happened to you.  I note you took legal advice, may I ask who from and on which points please?  

I'm currently looking into the insurance issues with ABTA and the FCA so anything said might be of interest. Thank you.

We contacted Which Legal - they said that because it will be "cleaned" between trips, be it in a few hours, they are under no obligation to ask new passengers to ask people to wear masks when they join (or provide PCR's!)

But if you joined a tour 1/2 way round (we made friends with someone who managed to do this once on a Baltic cruise), and there is already an issue on board and they do not tell you, then you do have a case against P&O

We haven't even looked at our insurance as it's part of a yearly policy that covers cruises - something tells me we wouldn't be covered if we had Covid trouble onboard!

We plan on telling P&O tomorrow that we will not be going on the cruise and why. We also plan to put it in writing for the record - it will make us feel better if nothing else!

We booked at the weekend with an agent and they made it clear at booking what the current protocol is (vaccinations required  but testing only recommended).  They did say that it was down to us to keep on top of any changes in P&O's requirements.

If I were susceptible to potentially serious issues from contracting Covid, I don't think I'd book a cruise any time soon.

The UK particularly is going down the route of "Covid?  What Covid?  No such thing anymore", so it wouldn't surprise me none if P&O followed suit as soon as they can (i.e. no isolation in cabins, etc).

Having had it back in January, and knowing quite a few people that have had it recently, for the majority it seems to be nothing more than an annoyance, just like a cold.

I do appreciate that for some people it can be much more serious and, as I say, if I was someone that was likely to have a serious problem from contracting it, I'd stay well away.

If a policy has changed since a booking (i.e. going from required testing to none), I would have thought there was an argument to say you should be entitled to a refund.

That said, I know of a few people that went on cruises where testing was required, yet Covid was still rife on the ship.

22 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I agree my t/a also gives all relevant information.  I know very little of direct bookings which is why I asked if we know if all agents ask the type of questions you mention. 

I have used a number of agents over the years, as well as booking direct with P&O both by phone and on the web, and all have asked health questions, so I do struggle to believe that there was not an opportunity raise the issue of the medical conditions that has resulted in them both being immune suppressed.

25 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I've done a dummy booking online and there is some information but not in my opinion enough to fully explain.

Seems to be pretty detailed to me - Vaccination & Testing Policy | P&O Cruises (pocruises.com)

2 minutes ago, Shelley61 said:

I do appreciate that for some people it can be much more serious and, as I say, if I was someone that was likely to have a serious problem from contracting it, I'd stay well away.

Absolutely - if I was making a booking by phone and I had a medical condition where I was immune suppressed then the first questions I would be asking (and not waiting to be told about) would be about the protocols that I would need to keep me safe. And if booking by web then I would be searching out and reading everything available.

• Like 1