Upgrade Bids Causing Available Cabins to Disappear on Site?

seagunthera

6 hours ago, cruisedoctor said:

Princess is doing their UPGRADE BIDDING a little differently than the other cruise lines.  For some stateroom classifications, they are subdividing them into sub-classifications, where a stateroom type may have staterooms in "less than optimal" locations.  This is to prevent someone from being unhappy if their upgrade bid wins, and their new room is in a poor location.  For example, you might have an opportunity to either bid on a mid-ship Club Class Minisuite or a front-facing Club Class Minisuite, with the starting bid being lower on the front-facing type.  Also, bidding on a "window" suite is seperated from a suite with a balcony.  When they presented this to the travel agent community, they stressed this was being done to reduce complaints that other cruise lines are running into.

I think this is a very smart business decision on their part. Should eliminate some of the CS calls.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cruisedoctor said:

For example, you might have an opportunity to either bid on a mid-ship Club Class Minisuite or a front-facing Club Class Minisuite, with the starting bid being lower on the front-facing type.  Also, bidding on a "window" suite is seperated from a suite with a balcony.  When they presented this to the travel agent community, they stressed this was being done to reduce complaints that other cruise lines are running into.

not for mere mortals...

This is all I got:

UPGRADE OPTIONS

Premium Deluxe Balcony
This larger balcony stateroom provides outstanding views.
From $335 USD pp

Deluxe Balcony
This impressive larger balcony stateroom gives you more space than a standard stateroom.
From $300 USD pp

Standard Balcony
Enjoy your own private outdoor space with a table, two chairs, and a relaxing view.
From $255 USD pp

Deluxe Obstructed Balcony
This larger balcony stateroom provides a partial or obstructed view.
From $210 USD pp

Standard Obstructed Balcony
Enjoy your own private outdoor space with a partial or obstructed view.
From $150 USD pp

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

To me, those 'sub' categories described a few posts back are actually very different categories.   Not just, for example, mid-ship mini, or middle deck mini.   There are actually real differences in the balconies or lack of.

Itchy and Scratchy has just shown what seems to be the regular options for bidding.

If anyone reports that they can pick Forward, Mid, Aft,  as well as Low, Middle, High, then that would give me a much better idea of whether I might make a bid or not!   Otherwise, I am sticking with my extended mid-ship balcony on Royal class.  Those regular balconies are tiny.

Edited by Wishing on a star

Many people seem to be talking about whole blocks or categories of cabins just 'disappearing'.  And, also being moved (not really a good upgrade).   Also, sailings showing a lot of cabins, going 'not available'. There seems to be no rhyme or reason for this.

Princess has also seemed to maybe be limiting capacity on some sailings.  Then I notice on the recent review of a Mediterranean cruise that the ship is pretty darned full.  But, of course, Med. is always in high demand, and those ships might have been able to be fully staffed.

I don't know if anyone has any answers?

On 9/28/2022 at 3:43 PM, voljeep said:

all good so far, thanks

still have power, but our worst is expected between 8-12 tonight

we're ready as can be - not our first - same house as in 2004 - Charley, etc then Irma in 2017

power went out at 6:00pm on Wednesday - got power and cell service back about an hour ago.  No damage where we are, just a lot of debris...very lucky and blessed - others, not so much ...

• Like 1