CPAP solutions

georgiacat

We were on the Carnival Horizon recently, and the only electrical outlets were across from the bed.  This is our solution for plugging in the CPAP machine.  Magnetic hooks from Amazon.  Water can be ordered by calling Room Service once on board ship.  You must be in room to receive it.  Price about $3.95.

100_0828.JPG

100_0829.JPG

My husband had 2 regular extension cords.  I did not know he had 2, and said that we might have to switch sides of the bed.  It was great.

We have also taped cord to floor, but I tend to trip over lines on the sidewalk, so not a good solution for me.  I am sure the steward prefers the ceiling route for vacuuming.

I ordered the hooks for hanging things and he needed them for previous cruise and this one.  I need to order me some more too.  I had gotten the hooks right before cruising shut down.  When he was discussing running his extension cord to the side table, I said he could use these.  He was amazed and did not know that we were living in a metal box (ceiling included).  He thought I was so smart.

I learn so much on Cruise Critic.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, kelkel2 said:

That’s a good idea. My husband keeps an extension cord in his cpap bag and last time we just dragged it across the floor, but we were always worried about us or our steward tripping. 

Same here on dragging across the floor.  But I just unplugged every day when i got up.  Will have to check on the EU outlet  bedside.  Wasn't aware one was there and we do carry an EU plug..

I do not use a CPAP, but I do like an outlet next to my side of the bed.  On interior rooms, I used the same idea as OP, but the hook magnets were along the wall, a couple of inches above the floor.  I don't know if I would have thought to use the ceiling.  Bravo!

For my last cruise, I did use an adaptor that plugged into the European socket behind the bed board (to power the lamp).  This adaptor had multiple outlets for both European and U.S. so I could use it for the lamp and my power cord at the same time.  This did require getting under the bed and maneuvering in tight quarters, so might be a little more effort than some choose to take on.

I have heard (but have no personal knowledge) that some ships might hard-wire their lamps instead of using a plug.  I researched to make sure my set-up would work on the Vista.

If utilizing a European socket, please understand a little bit about the European outlets (~220 volts) and the requirements of your devices and appliances.  Know the difference between an adaptor and a convertor, and be sure your extension cords/power bars do not have surge protection.

1 hour ago, MississippiMom said:

My husband now uses a CPAP and on our recent RCCL cruise, he completed a medical needs form requesting an extension cord and water and they were both in our cabin waiting on us.  Does Carnival not offer this service with a completed form?

You can pre-order distilled water (or order from Room Service while on board) by calling the Fun Shops.  It was about $4.  You can ask your room steward for an extension cord.  It has often been hit or miss with requesting beforehand.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Schoifmom said:

You can pre-order distilled water (or order from Room Service while on board) by calling the Fun Shops.  It was about $4.  You can ask your room steward for an extension cord.  It has often been hit or miss with requesting beforehand.

Is there a QR code or something in the room that tells you how to call the fun shops? Because we won’t have time to grab a gallon of water before the cruise so I’m guessing that’s what we’ll have to do. 

1 minute ago, kelkel2 said:

Is there a QR code or something in the room that tells you how to call the fun shops? Because we won’t have time to grab a gallon of water before the cruise so I’m guessing that’s what we’ll have to do. 

Call Fun Shops pre-cruise or Room Service once on board.

Fun Shops (precruise) 1-800-522-7648

There will be a QR code in your room for Room Service, but I believe that it is normally ext 8000.

Edited by Schoifmom
  • Thanks 1

I used to run an extension cord under the bed, laying the bed protector luggage pad over the top of it when I went to bed so I didn't trip over or get tangled in the cord if I got up in the night. Then simply unplug the cord from the socket in the morning (as you should do anyway rather than leaving it plugged in) and coil the cord under the bed and out of the way. Never needed more than one 15 foot cord which served well for hotels and cruise cabins. I am fortunate enough now to have a travel CPAP with a battery, so I don't need a cord anymore.

• Like 1

On 9/29/2022 at 2:47 PM, MississippiMom said:

My husband now uses a CPAP and on our recent RCCL cruise, he completed a medical needs form requesting an extension cord and water and they were both in our cabin waiting on us.  Does Carnival not offer this service with a completed form?

No, Carnival doesn't offer an order form. It would be great if they did. You have to call ahead if you can even get a call through or order when you board.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, bettyboop16 said:

No, Carnival doesn't offer an order form. It would be great if they did. You have to call ahead if you can even get a call through or order when you board.

On our last cruise when filling out the check-in it asked if I had a CPAP and did I need distilled water. I did not add anything else and there was an extension cord in my cabin upon arrival. Doesn't mean this will happen every time but I have always been asked in the terminal if a cord was needed.

• Thanks 1

After that thread here a while back about the person who wasn't allowed to board because they decided to not bring their CPAP after alerting Carnival that they would need distilled water and I think an extension cord, I never tell them I'm bringing mine! I have my own extension cords, and the ship water is basically distilled water anyway so I just use that. My doc approves and that's good enough for me.

On 9/29/2022 at 2:47 PM, MississippiMom said:

Relying on the cruise lines for CPAP supplies is a crap shoot.  I was promised the same when I sailed on Anthem of the Seas and neither was in the cabin when I boarded.  It was late evening before I was able to obtain what I needed.  On Carnival, a call to Room Service has resulted in delivery of distilled water within 5 minutes.  Of course, Carnival has confiscated my extension cord once, so you never know!  I bring my own cord and order the water from Room Service and haven't had a problem for years.

I do wonder why the lines have so much trouble establishing and following one procedure for CPAPs.

• Like 2

You all realize of course that the water out of the bathroom sink is just fine for CPAP machines. And that a full gallon of distilled water is probably 3/4 of a gallon too much.  If you have the carry bag for your CPAP, the re should be room for a 12 foot  extension cord  int he bag and if you have the red medical equipment id tag no one is going to make you open the bag. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

If you have the carry bag for your CPAP, the re should be room for a 12 foot  extension cord  int he bag and if you have the red medical equipment id tag no one is going to make you open the bag. 

Actually, no one made me open the bag.  They just took the extension cord from the CPAP carry bag and I got it back at the end of the cruise. This actually went against their written policy at the time.  However, Carnival did provide an extension cord.

My point is that the policy should be clear and consistent.  After all, CPAP has been around for years.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Pyrate13 said:

On our last cruise when filling out the check-in it asked if I had a CPAP and did I need distilled water. I did not add anything else and there was an extension cord in my cabin upon arrival. Doesn't mean this will happen every time but I have always been asked in the terminal if a cord was needed.

Interesting, my last cruise was this past April on Sunshine & I didn't see any information on the check-in process nor was I asked at check-in at the port. I ended up using bottled water that I purchased from Carnival & bottled water worked fine.

• 3 months later...
On 9/28/2022 at 11:55 AM, CruisingFromLA said:

Wouldn't it have been easier to get an EU adapter, unplug the bedside lamp and plug your cpap in behind the bed? It does require moving the bed a little bit to reach the socket, but it wasn't too difficult to do so. 

I've done that on both of my Carnival cruises!