CPAP solutions

georgiacat

On 10/3/2022 at 12:34 PM, PC 462 said:

Relying on the cruise lines for CPAP supplies is a crap shoot.  I was promised the same when I sailed on Anthem of the Seas and neither was in the cabin when I boarded.  It was late evening before I was able to obtain what I needed.  On Carnival, a call to Room Service has resulted in delivery of distilled water within 5 minutes.  Of course, Carnival has confiscated my extension cord once, so you never know!  I bring my own cord and order the water from Room Service and haven't had a problem for years.

I do wonder why the lines have so much trouble establishing and following one procedure for CPAPs.

That happened to us on Royal. And the extension cord they gave us, barely made it to the desk. So hopefully you did not have to get up to use the bathroom in the middle of the night and trip over it.  All these lines are hit/miss on what's allowed or not for Cpaps. Carnival actually told us to bring our own in the past since they couldn't guarantee having an extra cord. We have since, bought black cords to match the cpap cord and actually hook it up to regular cord before packing it up. We've been on MSC and Carnival since and haven't had a problem, (yet).

I bought the magnetic hooks to use on the wall and ceiling as well as a 6' extension cord.  I found a new cord for my CPAP that is 5" to use instead of the cord provided with the CPAP.  I am able to string  the cord across the ceiling to my CPAP keeping it out of a trip hazard.  So far I have always been able to get the distilled water delivered.  RCCL and Princess do not charge for the water but CCL does!

13 hours ago, sft429 said:

Trying not to break into my Superior dance, but I've got about a year with my Inspire and no longer have to worry about cpap crap... 🙂

Fantastic.   So did insurance cover this?  Was surgery outpatient?  Any continuing costs?

Just curious.  

On 9/28/2022 at 11:55 AM, CruisingFromLA said:

Wouldn't it have been easier to get an EU adapter, unplug the bedside lamp and plug your cpap in behind the bed? It does require moving the bed a little bit to reach the socket, but it wasn't too difficult to do so. 

Any idea if thatf EU receptacle is under the bed on the panorama?

35 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Fantastic.   So did insurance cover this?  Was surgery outpatient?  Any continuing costs?

Just curious.  

I'm on Medicare and a plan F supplement and don't think I paid a dime out of my own pocket.  It was outpatient.  There were two procedures, the first to check to see if I was a candidate and the second for the implant.  As for continuing costs; I need to buy  AAA batteries for my remote now and then 🙂

• Thanks 1

On 1/8/2023 at 11:18 AM, sammee said:

That happened to us on Royal. And the extension cord they gave us, barely made it to the desk. So hopefully you did not have to get up to use the bathroom in the middle of the night and trip over it.  All these lines are hit/miss on what's allowed or not for Cpaps. Carnival actually told us to bring our own in the past since they couldn't guarantee having an extra cord. We have since, bought black cords to match the cpap cord and actually hook it up to regular cord before packing it up. We've been on MSC and Carnival since and haven't had a problem, (yet).

Happened to us too on Anthem on our first trip with one.  They gave us a frayed cord that was clearly a fire hazard and kept hearing "thats all we have" until we said this is clearly a fire hazard waiting to happen.  We bring our own cords now. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BroadwayGirl said:

Happened to us too on Anthem on our first trip with one.  They gave us a frayed cord that was clearly a fire hazard and kept hearing "thats all we have" until we said this is clearly a fire hazard waiting to happen.  We bring our own cords now. 

It was Anthem for us too out of Bayonne. It was packed with the Cpap and their xray picked up on it. That's we we bought black to match the color of the actual cpap cord and have them attached hoping for the best. So far Carnival & MSC hasn't bothered us, but there's always a first time.

We were on the Vista and Dream last year and did not have a problem going through security.  We have a 6' black extension cord with only one plug on the end and an extended 10' black cord that interfaces with the CPAP transformer.  

• 4 months later...
On 9/29/2022 at 1:04 PM, Top_of_the_Cube said:

If utilizing a European socket, please understand a little bit about the European outlets (~220 volts) and the requirements of your devices and appliances.  Know the difference between an adaptor and a convertor, and be sure your extension cords/power bars do not have surge protection.

I so much appreciate CC.  It really would never have occurred to me to possibly use the European socket.  (Talk about a self-centered American over here.)  I can see our three daughters fighting over the limited outlets in the cabin they will be sharing.   Time to go read about adaptors & converters.

• Like 1