Is it just me, or is NCL sending all pax repeated "watch the safety video" emails?

Shellbelle28

Just now, GaryWT said:

Once in your room you need to watch it again.

Yeah.  Not the short 2 minute version, but a 20 minute epic on all of the safety procedures and features of the ship.  It automatically comes on when you first turn on the TV.  Of course, you don't have to watch it, but it won't let you use other features on the TV until it is completed.

this could be easily fixed if NCL hosted the videos on its site, rather than using youtube.

if they hosted the videos, they would have data on who viewed them and then could send those pesky reminder emails only to those who hadn't viewed them... or hadn't viewed them all the way through. they could even supply separate links for each passenger in a cabin.  but even then, they'd have no idea who - in a party of several people traveling together - has actually viewed and who hasn't.

if the strategy is to get people to watch the video more than once, they could still send reminders. but, as it stands now, they have no idea who has viewed the videos and who hasn't. all they know is that somebody associated with a particular email clicked the link to go to youtube. and visiting youtube, of course, does not necessarily mean that you watched the video.

• Thanks 1

Of course, you don't have to watch it (until you are onboard on embarkation day), but ... 

This - on all 3 of our cruises (thus far) this year and actually, I commented in the NCL post cruise eSurvey about this being annoying & could be better dealt with.   Maybe, it wasn't 20 minutes long for the extended full version but it was, indeed, much longer - and, it loop & repeated again and again, until you "exit" to return to the main "Menu"

Turned on the stateroom's interactive TV, let it run and then, go about doing other things at the same time in the stateroom, i.e. started unpacking our carry-on bags, freshen up and whatever ...  It would track & log your "cabin" has now fully comply with the mandatory emergency/evacuation drill requirements per SOLAS.  Better off actually - really - looking at the deck plan for primary & secondary evacuation routes, the nearest fire door(s) and emergency (crew access) doors and where's the nearest "house phone" in the area, i.e. usually near the stairs & elevators for 911 or 00 assistance, etc. 

Here's a bonus quiz for all seasoned cruisers - have you noticed and seen the portable AED pack/case ... often mounted on a wall near/at dining areas, especially at the buffet & near the pool area (not that the average passengers will touch or use it, and unlikely to grab it & know how to quickly use it as an on-scene first responder.  

5 hours ago, Shellbelle28 said:

We depart tomorrow and I've now received four emails with a link asking me to "re-watch" the safety video to guarantee my good time on the cruise. My check-in status remains at 100% so it's not part of that process. Never had this in past sailings. 

This is the new normal. Force you to watch it to check in. Send multiple emails just prior to departure. And lock your stateroom tv until you let it run again. 

2 minutes ago, phillygwm said:

Incessantly.  Weren't we on the same Bliss cruise last December?  I remember multiple emails then as well.

Yes, I was on the Bliss last year, but the last week of October. 

The cruise I'm on that departs tomorrow has had significantly more of the "watch the video" emails than I remember from last year. 

• Like 1

Well, better off than me.  I've been getting letters threatening to cancel two of my upcoming cruises because I (suddenly and mysteriously) owe  small balances (under $10 on them).  Good grief!  I made final payments on these cruises back in July and September and have paperwork showing zero balances.  Was able to immediately straighten it out with the PCC but disturbing.  Someone on one of our roll calls said he was being harassed for 1 cent.

52 minutes ago, Travelling2Some said:

Well, better off than me.  I've been getting letters threatening to cancel two of my upcoming cruises because I (suddenly and mysteriously) owe  small balances (under $10 on them).  Good grief!  I made final payments on these cruises back in July and September and have paperwork showing zero balances.  Was able to immediately straighten it out with the PCC but disturbing.  Someone on one of our roll calls said he was being harassed for 1 cent.

I had this happen to me. I had new Silver status, so I started getting 10% off shore excursions. I had booked one shortly before final payment, but instead of taking it off the total I owed for that excursion, it charged the full amount and then put it as a credit on my final billing. Only problem was, it wasn't a credit on my final billing. It was hanging out there while they were trying to process a refund to my credit card. (System glitch, I assume.) Anyway, I made final payment for what it said I owed and the next day I noticed it said I still needed to make final payment, so I looked and there was the tiny amount owing. I put 2 and 2 together pretty quick. They fixed it, but it took a phone call to NCL to straighten it out. This is why nobody should wait till the last minute to make final payment. I was a day away from them canceling my cruise for $8.00. 

Edited by Uff da
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Uff da said:

I

This is why nobody should wait till the last minute to make final payment. I was a day away from them canceling my cruise for $8.00. 

Yes and that has been my take-away lesson here.  I had always made the final payment on the day it was due but going forward I will leave time to straighten out any accounting errors.  I also think we need to keep watch on our accounts too.  One of my cruises was paid in full (and I have the paperwork showing a zero balance) several months ago.  Yet, suddenly two days ago there was a balance due of $9.00 ???  If I had not happened to log into my account to check on shore excursions I never would have noticed it.  I had purchased non-refundable airfare to Europe for this trip the day before so I was very alarmed.