Dir. Of Restaurant Oper.

DiRonT

For the first time ever (25 Princess sailings) the Dir of Restaurant Oper has stopped by every evening and occasional mornings to say Hello and ask if things were going well, etc.  Is it appropriate to "tip" this position or not.  We are tipping extra for other restaurants positions as the service has been over and above.  Appreciate your opinions as we do not want to insult the man if this is not appropriate.

9 minutes ago, DiRonT said:

For the first time ever (25 Princess sailings) the Dir of Restaurant Oper has stopped by every evening and occasional mornings to say Hello and ask if things were going well, etc.  Is it appropriate to "tip" this position or not.  We are tipping extra for other restaurants positions as the service has been over and above.  Appreciate your opinions as we do not want to insult the man if this is not appropriate.

I don’t think anyone in the MDR would be insulted. But, we usually wait until last day or two before tipping extra.  Everyone is different.  Up to your discretion.  

What ship?  The one’s we’ve been on, the DOR has been so busy and stressed trying to seat everyone every 20 mins, we’ve only seen them going in and out the DR.  The head waiter has had more time to check on guests.

Sapphire?

Edited by PacnGoNow

IMHO that is totally up to you.  DRO's rarely receive tips anymore and he is probably not expecting one.  Having said that, DRO's remember those that tip and this recollection comes in handy when you run into them again on another cruise.

• Like 1

Just now, DiRonT said:

We are on the Sapphire.  The Head Waiter (in the Santa Fe dining room) is outstanding and has been very attentive as well.

Your DRO is Mario Propato.  He is currently the most senior DRO in the Princess fleet.  

1 hour ago, LACruiser88 said:

Your DRO is Mario Propato.  He is currently the most senior DRO in the Princess fleet.  

Thank you for this info - I did know his name but the other info is interesting.  A very nice gentleman indeed.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, DiRonT said:

Thank you for this info - I did know his name but the other info is interesting.  A very nice gentleman indeed.

That’s awesome. I’m going on that ship just to meet him! 😆

That’s great to hear.

• Like 1

Mario is wonderful and is partial to fine vintage wines.

1 minute ago, CineGraphic said:

If their picture is on the officers/staff board, I wouldn't tip.

🤣  I'm not surprised, my Virgin sailing friend 

2 minutes ago, c-boy said:

Mario is wonderful and is partial to fine vintage wines.

🤣  I'm not surprised, my Virgin sailing friend 

We did however give a nice bottle of Brunello to an officer, who thanks to a mutual friend, spoiled us rotten, including a bridge tour. But the dining room manager checking up on things, full knowing that food and service hasn't been up to par in the past, is just someone doing his/her job.

DRO was previously known as the Maitre D.  High ranking officer on the ship in charge of all restaurant operations.  As I recall, it is not customary to tip any officer who is pictured on the officer's board.  It would be like offering to tip the captain, or the highest paid officer on the ship, the director of hotel operations.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SiliconCruiser said:

DRO was previously known as the Maitre D.  High ranking officer on the ship in charge of all restaurant operations.  As I recall, it is not customary to tip any officer who is pictured on the officer's board.  It would be like offering to tip the captain, or the highest paid officer on the ship, the director of hotel operations.

However, a nice bottle of something that isn't available on the ship is oft appreciated 🙂🥂

• Like 2

DRO is a new "name" for me!  Is this person really the Maitre d'?  Or the Culinary Operations Manager?  If COM, no tip.  If Maitre d', and he/she performs a special service for a guest, a small gratuity is appropriate.  

Agree with those who say that the individual is one of the Senior Officers whose photos are usually posted, no gratuity is expected nor is appropriate.