No cabin yet

babs135

We sail in 9 days time and as yet have not been allocated a cabin (along with other passengers).  I'm curious as to why this is?  When we booked a Saver fare we paid for a standard inside cabin so surely there would have been one available at that time?

Is it down to the dreaded algorithim or merely a case of 2 hats : one with our name in it and the other with a cabin number and someone who will close his eyes and pick out random pieces of paper? 🤣🤔

Perhaps we will be lucky and the Captain will vacate his cabin for us!!!!

• Haha 1

We are in a similar situation.

Booked a guaranteed balcony.

They must still be juggling cabins.

The ability to sell up with the bidding, slows down the process and that has to work it's way out first.

This happened to us back in August as well and we were given an "upgrade" of a larger balcony.

Hopefully it will be noticeable next time.

Its odd - M234A was shown as sold out for several weeks, and our BU guarantee has not been allocated. Apparently online check in is supposed to be available 21 days prior to sailing - I would have expected room assignment before that. 

9 days seems unreasonable - but I recall in 2010 the upgrade fairy changed our room at check in.

Just had my cabin assigned for Oct 10th QE Cruise to Singapore, 7 days before sailing.

Unlike airlines Cunard can't oversell, so what ever happens you will have a cabin of the grade you booked or higher.

At the moment late cabin assignment appears to be the norm.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, olegna said:

The ability to sell up with the bidding, slows down the process and that has to work it's way out first.

This happened to us back in August as well and we were given an "upgrade" of a larger balcony.

There is certainly no bidding for pax in UK on Cunard voyages.

The website does say that upgrade priority will be given to those on full fare. Even that I think, is very fortuitous these days (if it is a big difference in room booked).

Edited by LadyL1
Addition

9 hours ago, olegna said:

No Bidding but passengers [no idea of selection process other than the unticked 'no upgrade' box] are occasionally offered a decent upgrade with a small premium to pay. That's how we unfortunately found our 'sweet spot' om QE and QV.

'Free' visits from the upgrade fairy occur too as you experienced but again, no idea of selection process.

We have been upgraded at check-in before but we already had been allocated an inside cabin and so were delighted to be moved to a balcony.  The problem is, of course, that the longer we wait (now 8 days) the more the expectation is for an upgrade which is definitely NOT a possibility.  Every time I think we might make a balcony, or even the Grills (!) I have to give myself a mental slap and tell my self - it's an inside cabin, it's an inside cabin.......🤣🤣

This thread made me check to see if my cabin had been allocated for the Oct 18th crossing.  It had, and technically it is an upgrade from the obstructed view category we bought, however it’s not a cabin we would ever had chosen.

We would rather be up on deck 8 with an obstructed view (nothing to see on a crossing anyway).  I’m not happy but we once did a crossing in a small inside one because it was all that was left so I guess we’ll live.  I hate guarantees!

7 hours ago, babs135 said:  The problem is, of course, that the longer we wait (now 8 days) the more the expectation is for an upgrade which is definitely NOT a possibility.  Every time I think we might make a balcony, or even the Grills (!) I have to give myself a mental slap and tell my self - it's an inside cabin, it's an inside cabin.......🤣🤣

As you have been sharing your suspense with all, perhaps you will let us know if you have been lucky with your g’tee booking.🤞

• Like 1

UPDATE:   We finally have a cabin for our upcoming cruise on the Queen Victoria. Not an upgrade  unfortunately  but I'm  happy with the position  - deck 7, aft which hopefully will mitigate any strong movement around Norway.

• Like 3

On 10/3/2022 at 10:28 AM, Cruise NH said:

This thread made me check to see if my cabin had been allocated for the Oct 18th crossing.  It had, and technically it is an upgrade from the obstructed view category we bought, however it’s not a cabin we would ever had chosen.

We would rather be up on deck 8 with an obstructed view (nothing to see on a crossing anyway).  I’m not happy but we once did a crossing in a small inside one because it was all that was left so I guess we’ll live.  I hate guarantees!

If you dislike guarantee cabins why do you book them.