Silversea Air Screws Up Again

chrism23

Thanks for this thread.  As a control freak, it was really freaking me out!  So today I booked my flights directly with the airlines.  Now the question is whether to keep my D2D but back out the Business Air and take the no-air credit, or switch to P2P and save some more.  [More research!  Keeps me off the streets...]

• Like 1

On 4/1/2023 at 6:39 AM, Host Jazzbeau said:

Thanks for this thread.  As a control freak, it was really freaking me out!  So today I booked my flights directly with the airlines.  Now the question is whether to keep my D2D but back out the Business Air and take the no-air credit, or switch to P2P and save some more.  [More research!  Keeps me off the streets...]

Whilst I'd usually prefer flights not using silverair, the caveat for me has always revolved around the outcome should the CL deviate the cruise or even cancel it.

For shorted distances (and I am referring to cash not air miles), Id take the chance, but on a voyage like my next which is London to Osaka and Anchorage to London, I'd not take the risk. The other thing to be wary about for insurance purposes, is booking a cruise and flights separately could have a huge impact on cover. (ie your cruise may not actually have cover at all.) All in the small print, but is something I'm acutely aware could end badly!

we just got back from Japan, leaving from Miami. Was a nightmare.  Booked through Silverair due to the costs of booking directly.  Will never use Silverair again, not matter what the price. Not only did it take us 30 hours and 3 changes but When we were booked on a flight LAX to KIX and weren’t given a seat assignment, knew we had a problem.  Of course, flight was overbooked.  after much stress, (passengers shifted around)we were finally given a boarding pass and seat assignments 1/2 hour before flight took off.  Other people on our Japan cruise had similar experiences.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I decided to book my own airfare, taking advantage of Qantas Business Class sale prices and American points (for the final leg from LAX).  That allowed me to switch my reservation from D2D with Business Air all the way down to P2P with the 10% Prepay discount.  Saved enough to cover the travel insurance cost, so 'non-cancellable' isn't a worry – this is the third time we have tried to get to New Zealand, and both cancellations were caused by Covid not us.  If we're fit to travel, we're going!  [And if not, the insurance will reimburse us.]

• Like 1

On 4/3/2023 at 12:46 AM, les37b said:

Whilst I'd usually prefer flights not using silverair, the caveat for me has always revolved around the outcome should the CL deviate the cruise or even cancel it.

For shorted distances (and I am referring to cash not air miles), Id take the chance, but on a voyage like my next which is London to Osaka and Anchorage to London, I'd not take the risk. The other thing to be wary about for insurance purposes, is booking a cruise and flights separately could have a huge impact on cover. (ie your cruise may not actually have cover at all.) All in the small print, but is something I'm acutely aware could end badly!

I am not sure what US travel insurance is like, but here, it is very easy to check that cruise cover is included. Cruise is usually one of the options that comes up when selecting the type of cover. The only important thing is to make sure the dates include the non-cruise part of the holiday ie from when a person actually leaves their home. I wouldn't be too worried not using the Silversea air program and booking flights independently. My caveat is to fly in a couple of days before boarding so that if anything does go pear shaped with the flights you have time to actually get there.

Edited by Aussieflyer
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Aussieflyer said:

I am not sure what US travel insurance is like, but here, it is very easy to check that cruise cover is included. Cruise is usually one of the options that comes up when selecting the type of cover. The only important thing is to make sure the dates include the non-cruise part of the holiday ie from when a person actually leaves their home. I wouldn't be too worried not using the Silversea air program and booking flights independently. My caveat is to fly in a couple of days before boarding so that if anything does go pear shaped with the flights you have time to actually get there.

It's a sound plan to arrive a couple of days before you sail. I've done exactly this for my sailing in 2 weeks and arrive in Osaka for 2 full days sightseeing first. I'd be gutted if we were delayed, but that buffer should ensure we will catch the cruise regardless.

The potential issue I refer with insurance would be prudent to check. That's all I'm suggesting.

Most travel insurances cover you for travel from and back to your home country. If you book up your own flights, that's your holiday. If you tie in your cruise with an independent booking, that cruise is from and to a foreign land. If your booking by a TA is all done as a package, then unquestionably you would be covered (as you say, as long as cruise is part of the insurance.). However, there is a potential that some insurance companies will deal with this as 2 separate holidays, one of which wont be covered as its not travel from your home country.

Please appreciate, this is just advice for those who book their flights and hotel separate to their cruise, don't fall into a real "gotcha", that some unscrupulous insurance companies can and HAVE pulled. Its only after reading about what happened to an un-suspecting traveller this became apparent. I'm simply saying check the small print if its been booked separately. 

Most of us would take it for granted its a holiday insurance and of course doesn't matter if its bought at different times. Most insurance companies (I'd like to think) wouldn't pull that stunt. Some do and can be avoided.

• Like 1

It seems like I started this thread years ago.  Since then I have sailed 3 times with SS and used their air department 3 times.  I have discovered that having a good cruise consultant at SS makes all the difference in the world.  I am lucky to have a great one.  For example, 2 trips ago SS Air had us routed through Frankfurt to get to Boston from Dublin.  On very annoyed call to my CC, it started off with me going "You have got to be kidding me"  led to the problem being solved.  Now, if I don't like the flights, or the seats or whatever, a call to my CC gets it fixed.  I it really helps to do a little research before changing things up, to find the flight you want to take, the time, and the seats ready before you call your CC.  In general I have found that in all things Silversea it is essential to have a good relationship with you CC.  I am even taking mine out to dinner next time I go through Miami.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chrism23 said:

On very annoyed call to my CC, it started off with me going "You have got to be kidding me"  led to the problem being solved.  Now, if I don't like the flights, or the seats or whatever, a call to my CC gets it fixed.

I wish I could say the same.  My annoyed call to our SS Consultant for a flight from Copenhagen to San Antonio via Los Angeles got me nowhere.  Despite providing a number of desired flight options up front which were more direct, flying clear across the US to get us back home was the only contract flight they could offer.  We ended up cancelling that particular cruise for a number of reasons, not just the lack of a decent return flight.  Others on this forum have suggested its as simple as providing your desired flight options up front.  Sometimes it works and sometimes not.  They may have contract seats for your desired flight on one day, but not the next.  Its good to hear success stories dealing with the Air Dept. and I hope we are among those the next go around.

Just a hint on insurance.  For years I have gotten annual insurance from Allianze.  I find the annual is often just as cheap as what the cruise lines offer for one trip and this covers multiple trips including ones domestically when more than 100 miles from home.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Aussieflyer said:

I am not sure what US travel insurance is like, but here, it is very easy to check that cruise cover is included.

When I get policies from Allianz (either the Journey Plan through my TA or this time the Expedition Plan through the Silversea link to Allianz), I'm never asked where I'm going or how – only the dates and the amount of coverage I want.  So I'm covered from the day I get on a plane until the day I get home.  The only requirement is that I cover all non-refundable costs, and I'm not sure how the insurance company would know what anyway.  

Since US airlines have waived change fees, my TA advised not to insure the cost of the flights – because the insurance company won't pay me anyway if I get a credit from the airline.  And with hotels cancellable up to 48 hours, there's little risk that I would have to pay them.  So it really does come down basically to the cost of the cruise, with comprehensive dates.

A question.  We are accustomed to being able to deal with Celebrity Air directly even when dealing with a TA for the cruise itself.  How does this work with SS?  If using a TA for the cruise reservation, is one allowed to deal with SS directly regarding the air portion of the trip, or must the TA deal with this?

In addition, I should ask if it's possible to add $ to their deal for a better routing, or in such cases, do they just drop the whole thing and credit you with the air part of the D-D package?  I ask because the air part of their package, back when we booked it, was only $1,598 pp one way, and you can't touch a decent routing for less than $3,800 pp now (this for a November 23 TA).

3 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Since US airlines have waived change fees, my TA advised not to insure the cost of the flights – because the insurance company won't pay me anyway if I get a credit from the airline.  And with hotels cancellable up to 48 hours, there's little risk that I would have to pay them.  So it really does come down basically to the cost of the cruise, with comprehensive dates.

There is a factor here that I do not think you are considering. What happens if you or your spouse become unable to travel? What is the value of any credit and airline might give to you? In the past when I have made claims against a trip insurance policy, I have just had to verify that I was not receiving any credit from the airline since you cannot claim both.

17 hours ago, les37b said:

It's a sound plan to arrive a couple of days before you sail. I've done exactly this for my sailing in 2 weeks and arrive in Osaka for 2 full days sightseeing first. I'd be gutted if we were delayed, but that buffer should ensure we will catch the cruise regardless.

The potential issue I refer with insurance would be prudent to check. That's all I'm suggesting.

Most travel insurances cover you for travel from and back to your home country. If you book up your own flights, that's your holiday. If you tie in your cruise with an independent booking, that cruise is from and to a foreign land. If your booking by a TA is all done as a package, then unquestionably you would be covered (as you say, as long as cruise is part of the insurance.). However, there is a potential that some insurance companies will deal with this as 2 separate holidays, one of which wont be covered as its not travel from your home country.

Please appreciate, this is just advice for those who book their flights and hotel separate to their cruise, don't fall into a real "gotcha", that some unscrupulous insurance companies can and HAVE pulled. Its only after reading about what happened to an un-suspecting traveller this became apparent. I'm simply saying check the small print if its been booked separately. 

Most of us would take it for granted its a holiday insurance and of course doesn't matter if its bought at different times. Most insurance companies (I'd like to think) wouldn't pull that stunt. Some do and can be avoided.

I do see your point - for us the insurance policy is easy as long as you have the dates you are travelling (if not an annual one) and have ticked or added that there is a cruise. I suppose if you are not careful or know what you are doing you can make a mistake.

An older woman (85) I know of was very put out at the quote for TI for a 4 day RCI cruise recently. Said it was very expensive and told my friend she didn't know how to shop around as she found a much cheaper one through the local motorists association. And it was cheaper but did not include cruise or COVID coverage.  😲

9 hours ago, bubbulz said:

There is a factor here that I do not think you are considering. What happens if you or your spouse become unable to travel? What is the value of any credit and airline might give to you? In the past when I have made claims against a trip insurance policy, I have just had to verify that I was not receiving any credit from the airline since you cannot claim both.

Good point.  Although my TA said that if I was eligible for a credit, the insurance would consider me whole.

Anyway, I'm not averse to the idea of partial self-insurance.  So far we have been able to use all the airline credits we have received.  We did have to cancel one trip for medical reasons, but that didn't stop us from ever traveling again.  So I can hope that the next one will be similar...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Good point.  Although my TA said that if I was eligible for a credit, the insurance would consider me whole.

Anyway, I'm not averse to the idea of partial self-insurance.  So far we have been able to use all the airline credits we have received.  We did have to cancel one trip for medical reasons, but that didn't stop us from ever traveling again.  So I can hope that the next one will be similar...

We would have lost over $8K in 2020 without the  insurance to cover the flights so it was a good investment for us. Everyone has their own level of risk tolerance. 

On 2/10/2023 at 9:21 PM, A Tucson Guy said:

SS never ceases to amaze me. I sent Barbara Muckermann an email this morning explaining the problem above. In THREE HOURS I got an email back from Barbara and the name of one of her associates that is going to help me solve the problem. Barbara agreed that the 40 minute connection was not doable and she recommended a minimum connection time of 90 minutes, also. I call this excellent customer service!! I will post the "rest of the story" when I have it.

Sadly I dont think even 90 minutes is enough to change aircraft and terminals at LHR.   I would have said a minimum of two hours and ideally more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/8/2023 at 3:41 AM, chrism23 said:

It seems like I started this thread years ago.  Since then I have sailed 3 times with SS and used their air department 3 times.  I have discovered that having a good cruise consultant at SS makes all the difference in the world.  I am lucky to have a great one.  For example, 2 trips ago SS Air had us routed through Frankfurt to get to Boston from Dublin.  On very annoyed call to my CC, it started off with me going "You have got to be kidding me"  led to the problem being solved.  Now, if I don't like the flights, or the seats or whatever, a call to my CC gets it fixed.  I it really helps to do a little research before changing things up, to find the flight you want to take, the time, and the seats ready before you call your CC.  In general I have found that in all things Silversea it is essential to have a good relationship with you CC.  I am even taking mine out to dinner next time I go through Miami.   

You never know until you start your trip.  We allowed 5 days, lucky we did.  Because of problems (no one’s fault) it took 3 days to go San Francisco to Singapore. Really, radar problems on the ground and computer problems with the aircraft.  You never know…………

We are using SS Air in two weeks.  Their toptal BC cost was arouin $2800 USD/  Cheapesst I could get was around $4500 for non refundable.  Our routing is San Antonio-Ohare_-Municjh- Athens.  Around 19 hrs total.  Best times I could get on my own were around 16 hrs.  Return flt is Rome-Dalla-San Antonio.  15 hrs total trip time.  We shall see how it goes.

I have discovered that if you book a pre or post night hotel theu seem more willing to work with you.  We are flying to Santiago for an Antarctica cruise and staying two nights pre cruise and one night post.  I sent my independent TA three preferred itineraries and they booked Delta San Antonio-Atlanta-Santiago and return with no issue.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bohaiboy said:

I sent my independent TA three preferred itineraries and they booked Delta San Antonio-Atlanta-Santiago and return with no issue.

We also fly out of San Antonio but use a SS Rep and not an independent TA.  SS offered good included flights on United for the outbound to Rome, but the return had a 90 minute connection in Chicago to get us back to San Antonio, which was completely unacceptable.  After a lot of back and forth, we settled for paying an upcharge to go LHR - IAH - SAT with a 3 hour connection in Houston.  I wonder whether your independent TA has more influence with SS.   Would love to know who you use.

I just received my Blacklane code to book home to airport transfers and return.  Problem is that Silversea has given Blacklane the boarding and disembarkation dates rather than the flight dates.  Pre and post cruise hotels are included in the expedition package.  So I cannot book the transfers online and of course there is no telephone or email contact!  I have decided it is not my problem and emailed my TA to fix.  At least there are four weeks for it to be sorted.

On 4/2/2023 at 5:11 PM, Cahmuty said:

we just got back from Japan, leaving from Miami. Was a nightmare.  Booked through Silverair due to the costs of booking directly.  Will never use Silverair again, not matter what the price. Not only did it take us 30 hours and 3 changes but When we were booked on a flight LAX to KIX and weren’t given a seat assignment, knew we had a problem.  Of course, flight was overbooked.  after much stress, (passengers shifted around)we were finally given a boarding pass and seat assignments 1/2 hour before flight took off.  Other people on our Japan cruise had similar experiences.  

Are you sure the fault lay with Silversea?   Airlines have a habit of overbooking and it wont matter if you have an assigned seat if they decide to bump you off.   On another tack some passengers turned up at Lisbon airport after Barbados to Lisbon cruise and when they looked for their departure details on the departure board their flight wasnt on there.   To cut a long story short the flight had been cancelled and SS hadnt been advised but with the help of a local rep and Silverair the passengers were eventually rebooked on to an alternative airline/route but without business class for one of the longer sectors.  They were pretty complimentary about the way SS handled the matter for them.   I cant remember which airline it was but it was one of the "better" ones.   Air travel is very hit and miss these days.

On 4/13/2023 at 9:41 AM, Port Power said:

I just received my Blacklane code to book home to airport transfers and return.  Problem is that Silversea has given Blacklane the boarding and disembarkation dates rather than the flight dates.  Pre and post cruise hotels are included in the expedition package.  So I cannot book the transfers online and of course there is no telephone or email contact!  I have decided it is not my problem and emailed my TA to fix.  At least there are four weeks for it to be sorted.

Blacklane should allow  you a range of dates to book surrounding your cruise dates.  Read your email and BL website more carefully. You can select different dates, not etched in stone.  If we have an early morning flight, we just have BS pick us up the day before and we stay at a hotel near airport.  Never an issue.