How much OBC should I have? What's normal?

zitsky

3 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

I got OBC from booking in a suite and an additional $200 because the Celebrity agent made an error quoting an upgrade and made up for it with the credit. I also got OBC after a price drop. 
my total was $850 I think. 

See if I were an expert on OBC I wouldn’t ask you if $850 is a lot?  Rhetorical question.

1 minute ago, mfs2k said:

Wow. You’re getting a lot of crap for this post. Lol 

When you’ve been on 27 Celebrity cruises and book suites every time, and are in the Super Secret VIP club, you really shouldn’t ask stupid questions.

Or maybe some people have too much free time on their hands.  Just because I post here it doesn’t make me an expert.

What do you mean Zitsky, Lisa doesn’t ask your opinion when she makes a decision?  You’re not on all the sales and marketing calls???

• Haha 1

From your TA, you could expect anywhere from 0% up to maybe 10% of the cruise fare (less port taxes). From Celebrity, it will be clear at time of booking how much you should expect. Usually 0 unless booking on board, via a special promotion, or booking a suite.

Just now, RichYak said:

From your TA, you could expect anywhere from 0% up to maybe 10% of the cruise fare (less port taxes). From Celebrity, it will be clear at time of booking how much you should expect. Usually 0 unless booking on board, via a special promotion, or booking a suite.

I guess I just got lucky last time.  Too bad I had to cancel it.  I rebooked in summer so maybe they don’t do as many promotions.  But I have some from the TA.

17 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I realize this doesn’t apply to me but thanks.  What about the people who say “it depends”?  Is this OBC from Celebrity?

As others have said right now the only X provided OBC is either part of one of their sales (usually a fixed amount per person or per cabin. I've seen both), booking a suite (varies based on length of cruise), or the onboard booking (varies based on cabin type and length of cruise) referenced above.

Previously, when X was offering the Elevate & Indulge packages for cabins types below suites, OBC was part of those packages. The amount varied by length of cruise.

8 hours ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Your TA OBC may never show up in the Cruise Planner depending on how they issue it. It should be documented on your invoice or confirmation from the TA. 

I am dealing with this now. How can we use the OBC if it doesn't show up on the Cruise Planner? I wanted to use mine for an excursion.

1 hour ago, cdn_tbird said:

As others have said right now the only X provided OBC is either part of one of their sales (usually a fixed amount per person or per cabin. I've seen both), booking a suite (varies based on length of cruise), or the onboard booking (varies based on cabin type and length of cruise) referenced above.

Previously, when X was offering the Elevate & Indulge packages for cabins types below suites, OBC was part of those packages. The amount varied by length of cruise.

Ok I thank you.  I checked and our last booking was Elevate.  But that cruise was canceled.  I’m ok with what we got.  I expected a summer rate to be higher than the fall rate I canceled.

I guess without any Celebrity credits I’d better save money by not buying those expensive martinis.  🙃

26 minutes ago, Salt Lifer said:

I am dealing with this now. How can we use the OBC if it doesn't show up on the Cruise Planner? I wanted to use mine for an excursion.

I'm not an expert with TA OBC but typically (if not always) it's refundable. I would go ahead and book the excursions you're interested in and just not spend the OBC. Also, the benefit of booking them early is if there is a significant price drop you can always cancel it and rebook at the lower price.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, mfs2k said:

Wow. You’re getting a lot of crap for this post. Lol 

I don't think it's 'crap' but responses to the question "how much SHOULD I get in OBC"?  When Celebrity has a promotion attached to a potential booking or cabin category, I'm happy to RECEIVE what they offer....and whatever the TA offers is a bonus as well.  Guess it's the choice of the word 'should'.

Edited by Oceangoer2

11 hours ago, zitsky said:

When you’ve been on 27 Celebrity cruises and book suites every time, and are in the Super Secret VIP club, you really shouldn’t ask stupid questions.

Or maybe some people have too much free time on their hands.  Just because I post here it doesn’t make me an expert.

What do you mean Zitsky, Lisa doesn’t ask your opinion when she makes a decision?  You’re not on all the sales and marketing calls???

"Or maybe some people have too much free time on their hands."

Or 'someone' is having an awful lot of fun with this thread...?

1 minute ago, Oceangoer2 said:

"Or maybe some people have too much free time on their hands."

Or 'someone' is having an awful lot of fun with this thread...?

Who is “someone”?  I love getting slammed for asking stupid questions that I “should” know.  I loooove getting insulted.  🙄

For every question asked, there can be several correct answers, along with an undetermined amount of why, how, what for, you should know etc?  Some people are just "why" people.  Others want clarification, along with those who just have to add a tiny bit of insult.  It is the way CC and peoples' brains work.  NTAP and it is all good!

Edited by Lastdance

I was checking my most recent bookings.    I did have a couple Future Bookings Certificates I purchased while on board

I booked Retreat Class and in addition to the Credit I get from my agent (not shown until I board) I have $1,100  ($800 Booking Credit Suite,  $150 On board booking credit and $50 B2B and $100 Stockholders Credit)

19 hours ago, miched said:

When I book a inside cabin on a 7 day cruise for $399 pp I expect to get $500 pp from the TA, $400 pp from X along with my stock benefit OBC and OBC for using a future cruise certificate plus all the perks.

I never get all of that so that is one of many reasons I don’t and never have booked a inside cabin.

My TA told me that it is unbelievable the amount of people that call and think that they will get most of the above and get irate because of all the stories they hear about fantastic cruise rates when he tells them they are dreaming.  They think that because they spend close to a $1000 the TA should give them more than that in OBC 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

I guess your post was hyperbole, but there are great deals and OBC  even for inside staterooms.

I have 4 upcoming 10 night cruises in inside staterooms. All are AI and  all booked direct with Celebrity.

Here's my OBC per stateroom 

Celebrity's sale that gave obc when booking  500

Shareholder benefit    100

Book onboard  bonus 150

Celebrity matches outside agency OBC     225---350

So I have between 975 and 1100 obc on each of these .  

I always look to get between 20-35% of my cruise price back as obc. 

We "launder" it through penny slots and take home most of it .

5 minutes ago, Smmessineo said:

Celebrity matches outside agency OBC     225---350

Are you implying that if you show a TA is offering a certain amount of OBC for a particular Celebrity sailing Celebrity's booking Dept will match it?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Are you implying that if you show a TA is offering a certain amount of OBC for a particular Celebrity sailing Celebrity's booking Dept will match it?

First question I had as well.  Have never heard of this EXCEPT on those occasions where Celebrity is providing additional promo OBC through a TA.  Haven't seen that in a while, and it wasn't a 'match'.

Edited by canderson
Typoz
  • Like 1

I'm confused. (not unusual for me)

You said you booked directly with X, but included this line:

"Celebrity matches outside agency OBC     225---350"

May I ask what outside agency...I'm assuming it's not a TA of course...

Edited by dlh015

55 minutes ago, canderson said:

First question I had as well.  Have never heard of this EXCEPT on those occasions where Celebrity is providing additional promo OBC through a TA.  Haven't seen that in a while, and it wasn't a 'match'.

52 minutes ago, dlh015 said:

I'm confused. (not unusual for me)

You said you booked directly with X, but included this line:

"Celebrity matches outside agency OBC     225---350"

May I ask what outside agency...I'm assuming it's not a TA of course.

I book directly with Celebrity. If there is a particular large online TA or Big Box Club advertising the same price, but also extra OBC or a Big Box giftcard, I tell my Celebrity Vacation Planner when I book.. It gets requested through a supervisor and Celebrity gives me that extra OBC. I think it's up to $400 . 

They do not recognize every online TA, but a few of the well known ones.

The obc doesn't show up on the account until a week or 2 before the cruise, but it has always been applied.

Edited by Smmessineo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Smmessineo said:

I book directly with Celebrity. If there is a particular large online TA or Big Box Club advertising the same price, but also extra OBC or a Big Box giftcard, I tell my Celebrity Vacation Planner when I book.. It gets requested through a supervisor and Celebrity gives me that extra OBC. I think it's up to $400 . 

The obc doesn't show up on the account until a week or 2 before the cruise, but it has always been applied.

Ah, a bit of a 'price match'.  Good negotiating there.

From what you said, it sounded like you were collecting from a TA and getting Celebrity to match that amount!

23 minutes ago, Smmessineo said:

Got it! 

I want you to book my next cruise!!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kwokpot said:

They do say under Best Price Guarantee

"If a lower cruise fare or different promotional offer advertised to the general public is found and your booking meets certain requirements, you may request to have that savings or promotion applied to your booking (savings options vary by whether the request is submitted before or after the final payment due date)."

I did find a good discount about 6 months ago on an airline booking site for cruises.    I copied the price and they matched the price giving me a NR OBC.  This one was also under Cancel for Any Reason up until final payment.     I did another one prior to final payment date - even though I had already paid they sent me a Credit back on my Credit Card.

• Like 1