Mexican Riviera in Late December

Tyler T

Hi everyone,

I am new to cruising so I am seeking advice on a late December cruise from Los Angeles or San Diego to various southern ports such as Puerto Vallarta, Ensenada, and Cabo San Lucas. Should I be concerned about poor weather conditions and/or rough seas? I am thinking of starting my cruise as early as December 17 and as late was December 31. 

Thank you in advance.

1 hour ago, Tyler T said:

Hi everyone,

I am new to cruising so I am seeking advice on a late December cruise from Los Angeles or San Diego to various southern ports such as Puerto Vallarta, Ensenada, and Cabo San Lucas. Should I be concerned about poor weather conditions and/or rough seas? I am thinking of starting my cruise as early as December 17 and as late was December 31. 

Thank you in advance.

Weather is usually good, but certainly impossible to predict.  You can get storms in any month any place.

Weather will be PERFECT! The only problem is the first (maybe second) day will be cold heading South and the same coming home, i.e., last day or two might be cold coming home. But while your in port, it will be AWESOME! Also a little more choppier coming home.

Edited by klfhngr

4 hours ago, oceanbill457 said:

Weather should not be a problem. I worked for 8 years meeting guests at San Diego Airport for cruises. It may be a bias, but I think SD is a better choice than LA for convenience.

I live in SD too and I SO agree!!! Can't understand why Celebrity doesn't use our port instead of LA...so much easier to get to for the passengers!! 

• Like 1

Not sure about weather, but there can be some choppy seas in particular around the area where the US and Mexico meet.  We've sailed that itinerary a number of times and never had any serious issues.  Our worst seas were in the spring in the Gulf of Mexico - 30'.  You just never know for sure.

17 hours ago, LuAnn said:

I live in SD too and I SO agree!!! Can't understand why Celebrity doesn't use our port instead of LA...so much easier to get to for the passengers!! 

We are from the Bay Area and agree -   We sailed out of SD last year on the Pacific Coastal and loved it.   SD airport is so much easier to fly in and out of and the port is so close by. 

• Like 1