Live from Coral Princess - the Benchwarmer Cruise 8th October

6 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Aaargh! I wish I hadn't got off the ship! I had to go to the supermarket and it was full of people not wearing masks! Aaargh! Cruise ships are safer!!!!!!!!!

Did you give your new Harris Farm a hit Julie? 

38 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Aaargh! I wish I hadn't got off the ship! I had to go to the supermarket and it was full of people not wearing masks! Aaargh! Cruise ships are safer!!!!!!!!!

We have been masking up when at the shops and such anyway.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

We have been masking up when at the shops and such anyway.

Down here at Batemans Bay, I was in Woolworths yesterday, probably a couple of hundred people in store, spotted 3 with masks.  No masked up staff, not even in Deli.  If we don't tighten up we will be like UK, big rise in cases, up 20%.  

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Did you give your new Harris Farm a hit Julie? 

No, Harris Farm doesn't stock some of the things we needed so we just went to Coles. I don't know if we'll have time to see Harris Farm.

• Like 1

Just now, OzKiwiJJ said:

We always do and usually about 50% of people at our local shopping centre do  but today it was much less than that.

There is a definite reduction in the number of people wearing masks at the shops etc - we try to (though occasionally forget) but seem to be in the minority now.

• Like 1

Well and truly awake, have had breakfast and a bit of a walkaround. The ship is very quiet this morning, after a bumpy shaky night.

Boarding yesterday was slick, and we were first to board. No queues, in cabin video and muster station done by 11:10. No queues visible throughout the afternoon. I blame the medallion.

Dinner at Crown Grill a la Bayou last night. An incredible steak, and Barb loved her prawns. Unfortunately my beef tartar starter was way undercooked. No creme brule, trying to mix things up a bit. Maybe tonight.

They had a Lady Gaga show last night. Would have loved to have gone, but such a long day we would have fallen asleep. I think the comedian is on the last night, so he must be the highlight.

We have a credit showing on the door prize from the premiere package. Not sure if it is a win at this stage, or if they have dropped it and refunded. We also have a booking for Sabatini's tonight, which I am sure we haven't made. The voucher was in our cabin when we boarded, so it is a bonus - don't know if from Princess or our T/A.

Quiet day ahead, as it is pretty average outside. I am reflecting what Princess is and how it fits in the market. Shorter cruise has certainly mixed things up. Not a booze cruise crowd, so not that. Heaps of blue medallions and mixed dress standards. Regardless of the defined Princess standard, I always felt it was a brand where you made an effort to dress for dinner. Currently, you would think you were dining in a pub, and it isn't a spill of cruiselings either - they have their own bogan-trendy fashion. I just think they just couldn't be bothered.

As for not being bothered, masks. Lots don't care, and the staff don't challenge anyone, so it becomes accepted. I heard one woman say that she forgot to put her mask on but the staff didn't say anything, so it must be OK not to wear them. We will continue to make an effort. I hope the longer cruises continue to have passengers that make an effort.

PS: my beef tartar was delish, and perfectly undercooked. 😁

• Like 9

Great report there Geoff. The weather is getting better. Shame on those pax not wearing masks.  Staff don't want confrontation thus no enforcement.

I heard on the grapevine you are getting into Eden at 7pm this evening, not 7am tomorrow? Right or wrong?   Sunday night in Eden would be a hoot, the only place open would be the Australia Hotel, lol.

Enjoy the day and Sabatinis, plenty Spaget. Below is bridgecam just now.

coral_bridge.jpg

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Great report there Geoff. The weather is getting better. Shame on those pax not wearing masks.  Staff don't want confrontation thus no enforcement.

I heard on the grapevine you are getting into Eden at 7pm this evening, not 7am tomorrow? Right or wrong?   Sunday night in Eden would be a hoot, the only place open would be the Australia Hotel, lol.

Enjoy the day and Sabatinis, plenty Spaget. Below is bridgecam just now.

coral_bridge.jpg

I mentioned to Barb this morning it would be nice to out of the weather, but I haven't heard anything official. The sun is poking through now, and the wind had dropped a bit - but we are close to the coast and close enough to Eden.

• Like 4

Thanks Geoff, you are only about 130km from Eden, looks like you will have the night there.  Surely the Captain is not going to circle outside Eden all night.

You might get the official notification at the midday report from the bridge.

Edited by NSWP

13 minutes ago, arxcards said:

I mentioned to Barb this morning it would be nice to out of the weather, but I haven't heard anything official. The sun is poking through now, and the wind had dropped a bit - but we are close to the coast and close enough to Eden.

BOM rain radar is showing much better conditions across the east coast - bucketed down in Canberra overnight but it looks like it's cleared very quickly, Meteorologists did say it was was fast moving front this time. Hope the weather improves for you.

Sorry to hear about the lack of masks - agree that the staff don't want confrontations but just wish people would do the right thing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Aussieflyer said:

BOM rain radar is showing much better conditions across the east coast - bucketed down in Canberra overnight but it looks like it's cleared very quickly, Meteorologists did say it was was fast moving front this time. Hope the weather improves for you.

Sorry to hear about the lack of masks - agree that the staff don't want confrontations but just wish people would do the right thing.

Nice and sunny now, but a little windy, just put the washing on ye olde Hills Hoist, lol.

• Like 1

Hate is such a strong word.

This afternoon, I am really close to using it as a prefix for Princess.

Many weeks ago when we upgraded to Premiere, I booked Bayou for last night, and tomorrow night. When we boarded, there was 3 vouchers - including another for Sabatini's for tonight.

When confirming it was a valid booking at lunch today, it turns out that in their wisdom, they bumped our booking fot tomorrow night, and changed it for Sabatini's tonight. No communication, find out by accident, and we have nothing booked for our 30th anniversary tomorrow - the reason for booking the cruise in the first place.

Fully booked, and only the Bayou manager can do anything about it when they open tonight. I get it that they want to squeeze everyone in, but we had a booking, and they changed it without consulting. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Hate is such a strong word.

This afternoon, I am really close to using it as a prefix for Princess.

Many weeks ago when we upgraded to Premiere, I booked Bayou for last night, and tomorrow night. When we boarded, there was 3 vouchers - including another for Sabatini's for tonight.

When confirming it was a valid booking at lunch today, it turns out that in their wisdom, they bumped our booking fot tomorrow night, and changed it for Sabatini's tonight. No communication, find out by accident, and we have nothing booked for our 30th anniversary tomorrow - the reason for booking the cruise in the first place.

Fully booked, and only the Bayou manager can do anything about it when they open tonight. I get it that they want to squeeze everyone in, but we had a booking, and they changed it without consulting. 

What a stuff up, tell the Manager to cancel the officers tables for tomorrow night and put you in as booked. Always a few officers lurking in the speshul restaurants.

Good luck with it. Eden Ahoy !,,

Hope you get if sorted Geoff. 

We were on a Ruby short cruise and really wanted to go to Share as had enjoyed it on Emerald, couldn't get a booking, really disappointed, it was half empty every night we walked past.

Same on Golden for Sabatini's, couldn't get a booking.

4 minutes ago, cheznandy said:

Hope you get if sorted Geoff. 

We were on a Ruby short cruise and really wanted to go to Share as had enjoyed it on Emerald, couldn't get a booking, really disappointed, it was half empty every night we walked past.

Same on Golden for Sabatini's, couldn't get a booking.

Chez…It appears that so many pax booking the package that includes a specialty  restaurant has caused a problem, not enough seats.

52 minutes ago, CDaze71 said:

I know it's annoying, but can't you just dine in the MDR tomorrow night for your anniversary? It's still nice and you have two nights in the special dining rooms.

I know they can do that, but that's not the point. It was to be a special dinner (ambience and food) and they had already booked and paid for the restaurant. It is a pretty poor action by Princess to do that. If it was me I would be really really p****d as they say. Mr AF loathes MDRs and whenever we cruise together we either book a category with its own small dining room or book a speciality for every night. When I am with him we don't do the MDR barn.

Hope you do get the booking back, Geoff and have a wonderful evening. Congratulations on the Anniversary.

• Like 3