Evening Dress Code/enforcement

Rick&Susan

6 minutes ago, zitsky said:

First, I *AM* trailer trash and that term is really offensive and if you read again you will see that I most certainly did not use that term.  On the contrary I called you “upper class”.  If that is offensive to you then I apologize.

Your comment is as follows: "You wear golf shirts and say you’re not a snob?  In the trailer park that’s what all the people in the double wides would wear."

I take that you equated me with living in a Trailer Park because of the way I dress. Where I come from accusing someone of living in a trailer park is the same as calling them Trailer Trash, if you found that offensive, I apologize.

Edited by terrydtx

2 hours ago, C4HCG said:

Some bold statements there - I bet most people on here and those who sail Celebrity and don’t post here (sensible people 😂) have all broken a Celebrity rule at one time or another so are all “jerks” in your view? 

Let me try to qualify that, a rule I’ve mentioned often, the capacity in the pool on Equinox of 14 broken every single day on our recent cruises, far more breaking it than wearing shorts in restaurants. SunBed hogging another. Fact is the only one of these rules that really impacts other passengers is the bed hogging one.  Unless of course you get yourself wound up by what others wear and as Terry says, let that ruin your vacation, or at least that evening. I agree Celebrity need to start enforcing the rules or reviewing them, the latter would be my preference, the former no doubt the preference of many others. 

Why do you think we have laws and regulations?  Most regulations are common sense. Yet, they have to be voted on and then enforced because people in the aggregate cannot be counted on to be smart enough or considerate enough to just do it on their own. I am actually astounded every day at the insensitivity, inconsiderate, and simply stupid behavior that people engage in, and then when called out demand and rely on their "rights"  after trampling on everyone else's. These are just small things, but are indicative of a much larger issue.  You do NOT live in a world by yourself. Everything you say and do (including dress) impacts everyone else around you to some degree. I say, get over yourself and  your self-entitled "I'll do as I please despite the rules of the owner" attitude. You enter a contract when you purchase a cruise ticket, and the  rules established by the contract partner are not merely suggestions if you feel like it.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

Why do you think we have laws and regulations?  Most regulations are common sense. Yet, they have to be voted on and then enforced because people in the aggregate cannot be counted on to be smart enough or considerate enough to just do it on their own. I am actually astounded every day at the insensitivity, inconsiderate, and simply stupid behavior that people engage in, and then when called out demand and rely on their "rights"  after trampling on everyone else's. These are just small things, but are indicative of a much larger issue.  You do NOT live in a world by yourself. Everything you say and do (including dress) impacts everyone else around you to some degree. I say, get over yourself and  your self-entitled "I'll do as I please despite the rules of the owner" attitude. You enter a contract when you purchase a cruise ticket, and the  rules established by the contract partner are not merely suggestions if you feel like it.

I think I know what some would reply to you these (sad) days - "Be careful!  You are making too much sense."

Voyage, Voyage!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, zitsky said:

I think whatever the rules are, just be consistent. But X is afraid of offending people.  Let them decide if shorts are ok.

I know lots of women that wear spandex pants while doing their errands.  I’m not a fan of those at dinner either.  

Haha, no spandex for me. 
Can hardly breathe in them, let alone eating dinner!

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

Your comment is as follows: "You wear golf shirts and say you’re not a snob?  In the trailer park that’s what all the people in the double wides would wear."

I take that you equated me with living in a Trailer Park because of the way I dress. Where I come from accusing someone of living in a trailer park is the same as calling them Trailer Trash, if you found that offensive, I apologize.

There is nothing offensive about living in a trailer park.  I’m sorry I called you upper class.

57 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

Celebrity is not a government. It is a business. I am fine with Celebrity enforcing dress rules or not enforcing a dress rules. It is their business. I don't obsess about how other people dress or care if Celebrity enforces dress rules it or not. It does not impact me. Too bad it impacts you but that is your problem. Take it up with Celebrity. 

There are laws and regulations that don't make sense. But that is politics so I won't get into that.

Some laws and regulations should be broken. There is a walk signal that has been reported and not fixed for a year in my neighborhood. They claim they can't figure out how to fix it. I do feel entiteld to cross when I feel it is safe. You may be an everything is black and white thinker. If so  I feel sorry for you. 

4 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Celebrity is not a government. It is a business. I am fine with Celebrity enforcing dress rules or not enforcing a dress rules. It is their business. I don't obsess about how other people dress or care if Celebrity enforces dress rules it or not. It does not impact me. Too bad it impacts you but that is your problem. Take it up with Celebrity. 

There are laws and regulations that don't make sense. But that is politics so I won't get into that.

Some laws and regulations should be broken. There is a walk signal that has been reported and not fixed for a year in my neighborhood. They claim they can't figure out how to fix it. I do feel entiteld to cross when I feel it is safe. You may be an everything is black and white thinker. If so  I feel sorry for you. 

It’s funny when people say we shouldn’t get excited about the dress code.  But you can get excited enough to comment about how there should be no rules and that’s ok.  🤣

Celebrity just make SOME rule even that is NO rule.  Just be consistent.  If you want to allow everything then say so.

2 hours ago, Pinboy said:

No difference the type of Business ( Industry)you are in---

It's my home(Business)---It's my rules.

Maybe in Canada but here the government has a say. For exampe reasonable accomodation must be made to people with disabilities. We can't for example say no to a service animal. 

2 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Maybe in Canada but here the government has a say. For exampe reasonable accomodation must be made to people with disabilities. We can't for example say no to a service animal. 

Do dress codes apply to disabled people?  I can’t think of an exception.

10 minutes ago, zitsky said:

It’s funny when people say we shouldn’t get excited about the dress code.  But you can get excited enough to comment about how there should be no rules and that’s ok.  🤣

Celebrity just make SOME rule even that is NO rule.  Just be consistent.  If you want to allow everything then say so.

I never said there should be no rules. It is not my problem if there are rules that are not followed. That is up to Celebrity. 

Just now, Charles4515 said:

I never said there should be no rules. It is not my problem if there are rules that are not followed. That is up to Celebrity. 

No, I cannot force Celebrity to enforce THEIR OWN rules.  The argument seems to be, give Celebrity your money.  Then sit down and shut up.  Translation.  We don’t need your feedback.  I think customers have the right to give a business their feedback.  About dress code or anything else.

8 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Can you think of an example?  Dress shirts with buttons?  Polo shirt is usually an acceptable alternative.

I have to look again but I think Celebrity says long sleeve button down shirt for Evening Chic. I think polo is a resonable alternative but I don't think Celebrity says that.  

Edited by Charles4515

So we come to the point of all this. CC allows everyone to know what a cruise line is really like not just what the say or advertise.  

When the ad says Formal Night, I  will put on a tie if I  want to eat in the MDR. If I want to stay in shorts I will  go to the buffet. I won't starve.  If on the other hand the ad said Formal Night and someone else  couldn't be  bothered to  put on his pants, or one of my fellow CCers  told me about it before I booked the cruise,  I will begin to wonder what other shortcuts  the line is taking.

IOW, if you are going to say Formal, follow through with it or get rid of the farce.  I may have signed up for a luxury cruise as a gift to my in laws and want them to have that experience.  Other times I I might want a week long vacation with nothing but eye candy. 

Thank you everyone for exposing the difference between  what they advertise  and what they do. I can now make a better decision.

• Haha 1

Note, I am a complete noob and I just booked our first cruise for Feb 2024 5 nights on Voyager of the Seas (RCCL).  It is so far away they aren't even trying to sell beverage or dining packages.  

We won't be doing any specialty dining, and will likely eat in the MDR every evening for early dining.  

DH reluctantly wears pants to church and company Christmas parties, and that is it.  DH is very uncomfortable in pants because his thighs are big compared to the rest of him.

When we got married he wore a formal kilt with a tuxedo-ish kilt jacket.   His brother wore DH's second best kilt, and the Elk on the wall wore the third best kilt. He likes his kilts.

DH does have a lot of nice shorts that are almost knee-length, and nice shirts.   That is what he wears when we go out to eat.  

Last night I was watching a CruiseTipsTV video on cruise dress codes.  DH walked by and said, "They aren't going to expect me to wear pants are they?"   I said "Umm ... Maybe for formal night.   I am still learning."   It hadn't occurred to me DH's normal attire might be a problem.  

Would it be OK for DH to wear his nice shorts to dinner in the MDR and his formal kilt on formal night?   I have a sheath evening gown that I wore to my last HS reunion that I'd likely wear for formal night.  

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, HappyTexan44 said:

DH does have a lot of nice shorts that are almost knee-length, and nice shirts.   That is what he wears when we go out to eat.  

Voyager of the Seas is a Royal Caribbean ship not Celebrity. They do have what they call formal nights on 7 day sailings, I am not sure about 5 day sailings. You should ask on the Royal Caribbean board. On my last few Royal sailings which were pre covid it was not unusual to see men in shorts every night including on formal evening wearing shorts. Despite the discussion here it would be unusual to see shorts in the MDR at dinner on Celebrity. Royal is more family oriented and younger so the dress there is looser. The original posters were complainig about dress on an Royal sailing not being up to their expectations having been on Celebrity. Really if they had been reading Cruise Criitic's Royal Caribbean forum they would have known better.

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, UnorigionalName said:

probably about time to lock this thread...

Clearly "class" only refers to what type of items you wear, not behavior and speech.

I thought that a couple of days ago...lol...everyone has said what they wanted to say at least 3 times...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dlh015 said:

I thought that a couple of days ago...lol...everyone has said what they wanted to say at least 3 times...

X posters on dress code threads are like cats. It take 10 times before they finally expire! 😉

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Guppy99 said:

You’ve made me giggle, wearing shorts in the MDR is insensitive, inconsiderate and stupid 😂😂. And it is neither a law or a regulation enforceable by law. And please don’t call me names, I am not self-entitled at all. Lighten up and hold back with the nastiness please, 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Guppy99 said:

And could I add, I strive to be respectful on here, how dare you be so aggressive towards me. It is a forum, not a courtroom. Hope I never have the misfortune to meet you on a cruise.