What if you don't finish the bottle of wine?

LB_NJ

9 hours ago, carlmm said:

Red wine will wait for you on your table, white wine in a cooler close by, both to be served by the sommelier or wine steward.

Yet, it will to be seen how open dinning interferes.

There’s open dining at lunch anyway, and they presumably cope with unfinished bottles from that.

• Like 1

Yes.  And under the new open seating arrangement, if you’ve ended up at the different end of Britannia from the night before, they will go off hunting for last nights bottle of wine and if you are lucky it might arrive before your food.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

There’s open dining at lunch anyway, and they presumably cope with unfinished bottles from that.

This only coped previously ( pre covid)  as the guest was able to inform the sommelier of their dedicated evening 'Table Number'.

Earlier this year 'during the trials of evening open dining' , the delivery of wine was chaos, we were totally confused where we had originaly been seated the evening before , having been moved from pillar to post every evening.  Thank goodness there will now be the option of fixed or open dining toward the end of this year.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

Yes, but fewer people drink at lunchtime and the Britannia is pretty empty as most people go to KC.  The staff in the evening so far are coping with ferrying all the wine bottles around the place, but it is clearly creating more work for them, and if you need to order a fresh bottle for your meal, getting hold of the wine guy is more difficult as he (or she) could easily be out of sight.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Bell Boy said:

This only coped previously ( pre covid)  as the guest was able to inform the sommelier of their dedicated evening 'Table Number'.

Earlier this year 'during the trials of evening open dining' , the delivery of wine was chaos, we were totally confused where we had originaly been seated the evening before , having been moved from pillar to post every evening.  Thank goodness there will now be the option of fixed or open dining toward the end of this year.  

Dine when you want but wherever the space is free seems such a good idea. On paper.

I think dine whenever you want but on fixed tables will still be B.C's selling point

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Bell Boy said:

I guess I had not really been paying attention to my reservation.  When we made the reservation (in Brittania) I think we only had the choice of early or late and we chose late since it is a port intensive Alaska cruise.

Now I log on and see that there is an option for Open Dining.

We like the idea of sitting at the same table every night with the same waitstaff and not having to line up (queue up?) and get a table assigned, etc.

With the new option, since we chose fixed late seating do we get the same table and waitstaff each night?

In the Princess Grill our Wine Steward Jerome took well care of our purchases.

Whatever was left at the end of the meal, was noted and reserved for future use the following days or meals.

Of course on the final evening we had enough to finish off at the final meal.

If we wanted a different drink on an evening we would just ask for the bottles to be held. 

• Like 1

On 10/9/2022 at 4:18 PM, LB_NJ said:

If I bring a bottle onboard and bring it to the MDR ($25 corkage fee?) or buy a bottle at dinner and do not finish it will they store it overnight for dinner the next day?

Yes but if you are on one of the cruises where it is anything goes with timing of dining then the poor wine steward will have to hunt up the bottle and then find your table. Hopefully before dessert has arrived. There are many things in life that fall under the rule/ IF IT IS NOT BROKEN, DO NOT ATTEMPT TO FIX IT. On Cunard fixed seating for dinner is one of them.

• Like 4