NCL Prima 5-day NYC to Bermuda Semi-Live! (10/10/22)

PistolPete13

Just a side note, even with the wind and rough seas the ship was remarkably stable.  I experienced similar weather for a day and a half on the Bliss and it felt much rougher.  Maybe I've gotten used to it?  Who knows.  No vomit bags were put out by the stairwells.

Edited by PistolPete13
  • Like 3

Alright, running out of steam.

I missed the announcement about the NYC arrival time (3AM!) so no night photos going under the bridge.  By the time I got up at 4:30AM the ship was already docked and tied up.

After quick light breakfast, I had my luggage and was one of the first group of people waiting in the atrium for departure.  The time stamp on my photo shows 6:15AM and there were about a dozen people ahead of me.  I was in no rush and sat down to watch the line build.

IMG_4530.jpg

IMG_4532.jpg

IMG_4533.jpg

IMG_4548.jpg

IMG_4553.jpg

IMG_4554.jpg

IMG_4555.jpg

• Like 4

Just now, PistolPete13 said:

Alright, running out of steam.

I missed the announcement about the NYC arrival time (3AM!) so no night photos going under the bridge.  By the time I got up at 4:30AM the ship was already docked and tied up.

After quick light breakfast, I had my luggage and was one of the first group of people waiting in the atrium for departure.  The time stamp on my photo shows 6:15AM and there were about a dozen people ahead of me.  I was in no rush and sat down to watch the line build.

IMG_4530.jpg

IMG_4532.jpg

IMG_4533.jpg

IMG_4548.jpg

IMG_4553.jpg

IMG_4554.jpg

IMG_4555.jpg

Love the brightness of these interiors.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

Just a side note, even with the wind and rough seas the ship was remarkable stable.  I experienced similar weather for a day and a half on the Bliss and it felt much rougher.  Maybe I've gotten used to it?  Who knows.  No vomit bags were put out by the stairwells.

Agree the ship felt stable during our rough sea days crossing the Atlantic. Did you experience any creaking noise? There was no sound coming from my balcony or closet doors, but the creaking sound coming from my ceiling was unbearable.

Just now, Sugar Magnolia said:

Agree the ship felt stable during our rough sea days crossing the Atlantic. Did you experience any creaking noise? There was no sound coming from my balcony or closet doors, but the creaking sound coming from my ceiling was unbearable.

Yes, I did have a rhythmic creaking in one of the panels behind the cabinet in the bathroom.  The main cabin area was quiet save for the occasional knock of the hangers but widely separating the unused ones solved that issue. 

Here are a few more random photos of the ship interior.  I was planning to take more but the ship was so packed during the day I didn't feel comfortable taking photos with so many people around.  You wouldn't be able to see the features anyway!  LOL. 

IMG_4537.jpg

IMG_4538.jpg

IMG_4539.jpg

IMG_4540.jpg

IMG_4541.jpg

IMG_4544.jpg

IMG_4524.jpg

IMG_4528.jpg

IMG_4529.jpg

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

Love the brightness of these interiors.

Yes, all the LED accent lighting and light color scheme of the furniture made for a very bright interior!  I do hope the crew has a good steam cleaner however as some of the lighter colored furniture may not survive a few Florida to Bahamas runs...

Edited by PistolPete13
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

And my cruise journey ends with a bus ride home.  It was too early for another subway ride and ferry ride back home so I splurged for the $6.75 and a more direct route home.

I'll post up a trip summary of my (rookie) cruiser impressions of the new ship over the next few days.  All this stuff called real life work really interferes with things!

IMG_4565.jpg

Edited by PistolPete13
  • Like 10

23 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

Yes, all the LED accent lighting and light color scheme of the furniture made for a very bright interior!  I do hope the crew has a good steam cleaner however as some of the lighter colored furniture may not survive a few Florida to Bahamas runs...

All the varied upholstery and cushions were so lovely. We had a small Starbucks spill on a chair cushion, windy day on deck 8 . Brought it to the attention of a server who said: “No worries. We have a guy for that!” I think Prima has there own Steam Clean Team onboard 😀

Thanks for your review Pete. Fun to relive my cruise!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, PistolPete13 said:

I'll post up a trip summary of my (rookie) cruiser impressions of the new ship over the next few days.  All this stuff called real life work really interferes with things!

Thanks a ton for continuing on and seeing this to the end.  Really enjoying your review and eager to hear about your closing thoughts.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

6 1/2 days till we embark. 👍. Need to play it smart and enjoy our embarkation lunch at Hudson's.  The Indulge Food Hall should be a madhouse since it's brand new.

Very possible....however, there might be a bunch of non-cruise-critic cruisers who won't know about it for a couple of days🤔

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Then they will be in for a rude awakening when they see the buffet is 1/3 the size of the buffet on the Away Plus ships.

If I had another embarkation day on the Prima I would choose: 

1. The Indulge food hall.  A hidden gem and very fast service.

2. Hudsons or the Commodore main dining rooms.  More traditional sit down service but I'm normally to antsy to be trapped sitting so long as soon as I board the ship.  I've got things to do and shows/excursions to reserve!

3. The buffet at the top deck, absolutely the last resort.

Another good things about the main dining rooms and the food hall is that they're on decks 6 and 8.  I believe loading is on deck 6 (at least in NYC with the covered walkway) so it's a short walk on the stairs and no need to fight to get on a slow elevator all the way to deck 16 and the buffet.

• Thanks 2

Thanks @PistolPete13, we have learned a great deal from you and @BirdTravels in advance of our Prima cruise.   Those of us who like to plan a little have enjoyed the awesome photos and taken note of your advice.  Looking forward to our embarkation day😎

• Like 3

On 10/17/2022 at 10:36 AM, PistolPete13 said:

Good morning all.  Not to get things sidetracked but I was able take another "cruise" this morning heading into the office.  The cruise line is called the Staten Island Ferry.  The price is right (free) and the itinerary is always the same. 

Security checks only include a few bored looking golden retrievers looking for people hiding snacks.  The quality of people boarding would make Haven cruisers look like the hired help.  Sleeping arrangements are first come first serve but most of the cruisers are professional nappers that would put any observation lounge nappers to shame in terms of brazenness.

image.thumb.png.c269a9b4aa63184613d8269ca6c552e3.png 

image.thumb.png.713d0e8fe017c9d43c463bda703eb554.png

i'm going on Celebrity tomorrow out of Cape Liberty in NJ.

uber is $75 from brooklyn (near Verrazano bridge).

for cheaper:

google maps says i can take a bus into staten island, then xfer to another bus to St George ferry/ramp C.

i'm taking a ferry from staten island to Bayonne cruise port?

Edited by fstuff1

51 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

i'm going on Celebrity tomorrow out of Cape Liberty in NJ.

uber is $75 from brooklyn (near Verrazano bridge).

for cheaper:

google maps says i can take a bus into staten island, then xfer to another bus to St George ferry/ramp C.

i'm taking a ferry from staten island to Bayonne cruise port?

Oh no, for Bayonne just stick with the Uber.  There is a light rail station to Bayonne but it's a LONG desolate walk over to the terminal.  And you're coming from Brooklyn?  Definitely recommend sticking with Uber especially carrying luggage...

As far as I know, there is no ferry from Staten Island to anywhere near Bayonne.  There is a Fast Ferry service but I'm not sure if that goes to Bayonne from SI.

1 minute ago, PistolPete13 said:

Oh no, for Bayonne just stick with the Uber.  There is a light rail station to Bayonne but it's a LONG desolate walk over to the terminal.  And you're coming from Brooklyn?  Definitely recommend sticking with Uber especially carrying luggage...

As far as I know, there is no ferry from Staten Island to anywhere near Bayonne.  There is a Fast Ferry service but I'm not sure if that goes to Bayonne from SI.

then i dont understand the 'st george ferry/ramp C' xfer point from google maps transit?

yeah, i'll stick with uber even though i only have a carryon and a backpack

3 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

then i dont understand the 'st george ferry/ramp C' xfer point from google maps transit?

image.thumb.png.704973663d19d4c7d639a9b52cf30e26.png

So near yet so far!  Google doesn't even show me public transit options from the SI Ferry terminal.

2 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

2 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

image.thumb.png.704973663d19d4c7d639a9b52cf30e26.png

So near yet so far!  Google doesn't even show me public transit options from the SI Ferry terminal.

At one time there was a ferry that ran between Staten Island and Bayonne but it was discontinued in the early 1960s. It didn't run from the Staten Island ferry terminal though. It ran from the Port Richmond area near where the Bayonne Bridge is located. 

When I was in high school even when the ferry was still  running I used to walk across the Bayonne Bridge to get to a roller skating rink in Bayonne. I don't know if they still allow pedestrians on the bridge, particularly since they raised the roadway a few years ago.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

6 1/2 days till we embark. 👍. Need to play it smart and enjoy our embarkation lunch at Hudson's.  The Indulge Food Hall should be a madhouse since it's brand new.

Have a great cruise!  We did the Food Hall on embarkation day. As the buffet filled, the embarkation crew were directing people to the food hall. 

Remember, as of this moment, if you sit a counter at a restaurant stall, you can only order online from that restaurant. If you want something from another restaurant, you need to walk over there and pick it up '"take out". It is really fast, but still a pain. If you sit at a table or counter not at a restaurant, you can order from all restaurants and the waiters will bring you the food. 

• Like 3