Norwegian Prima’s First US Sailing - Bermuda Short Break *LIVE*

BirdTravels

Following along and eager to get @BirdTravels opinions on the ship, good to get them from a trusted commenter with a lot comparative experience.

Already disappointed, however, that the Waterfront is being hijacked to do triple duty for relocated sun loungers from the pool deck...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, aubreyc1988 said:

3)How has the food been so far? Do you like the food hall concept? Specialty dining been a hit?

@aubrey

The food hall has been a very pleasant surprise.  Lunch was great with outstanding options served to your table after ordering with a tablet.  The restaurant manager told us that the menu changes each evening and even mentioned filet mignon being a selection.  The table set up is very creative allowing what feels like more room.

Regarding Specialty restaurants, these are such a hot ticket that there is virtually no availability with all but Food Republic and Los Lobos (at least at this time).  We have never booked Specialty restaurants until we boarded before and never had an issue.  But it looks like our Free at Sea and Latitude free meal options will be extremely limited.  I would advise future Prima cruisers to book dining well in advance. 

Compared to other NCL ships, my first impression of dining is that the restaurants may not be sized for the crowds that they are feeding.  Significant wait times on the first night and the Surfside (the new Garden Cafe) is much smaller than the Joy, Bliss, Escape and is very crowded.    

Hopefully, limited specialty availability and crowds in other dining areas will subside in time as the Prima gets its sea legs.   Hoping it can soon meet the expectations of those of us who have eagerly awaited this new class of beautiful ships.

Edited by Vol_Navy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Vol_Navy said:

Regarding Specialty restaurants, these are such a hot ticket that there is virtually no availability with all but Food Republic and Los Lobos (at least at this time).  We have never booked Specialty restaurants until we boarded before and never had an issue.  But it looks like our Free at Sea and Latitude free meal options will be extremely limited.  I would advise future Prima cruisers to book dining well in advance. 

So you are telling me that you can't get a reservation to Onda while on board?

1 hour ago, destar said:

No reservations for specialty are showing with the exception of Los Lobos and Food Republic for only a smattering of times.  

In all fairness though this is a five-day cruise so the limited days could be a contributing factor (everyone wanting to use the free at sea meals which can’t be spread out as easily in five days versus three days).   Also, the hosts/hostesses at Cagney’s and Onda have been very nice and encouraged us to check in any time if there are cancellations.

I think NCL is also still promoting the ship to travel companies and influencers.    This may be filling the specialty restaurants faster up due to priority reservations or unlimited specialty dinners ( just my speculation though ).

Edited by Vol_Navy

The issue of not being able to get dining reservations might have to do with the fact that people scheduled their specialty dining according to the old itinerary.  I would guess there were so many people wanting to change their times, and they all probably wanted the same nights.  Just food for thought.

3 hours ago, destar said:

Reservations for all restaurants at nearly all times were available on embarkation. 

The Bird strongly advises booking dinners 120 days prior to departure or immediately upon embarkation. Restaurants will sell out if you wait too long. 

• Like 2

Go to Tee Time to practice your advance putting. This is the most innovative mini golf on any NCL ship. Currently, they are updating the game’s software so rounds are free. Once things are fixed, rounds will be $5 each with the opportunity  to win prizes up to a free cruise. 
00D1917B-8AF9-448D-B229-556533BA1C41.thumb.jpeg.f8be578ff987aa929977264fdcd5faf5.jpeg1E33E131-E37D-4B36-B977-D5139CB62A3C.thumb.jpeg.51f463ee42f84008df78d6d00d8a001e.jpeg00D1917B-8AF9-448D-B229-556533BA1C41.thumb.jpeg.f8be578ff987aa929977264fdcd5faf5.jpeg

86BAE600-E712-4DCC-B147-22A4F1769195.jpeg

F2B96DAF-EE2E-4748-A928-A3522EFB3536.jpeg

58AF355F-4960-4AD3-A40B-EABEBB42DD79.jpeg

9173213B-9358-43EF-A75C-05E079D5E284.jpeg

• Like 5

Go to Tee Time to practice your advance putting. This is the most innovative mini golf on any NCL ship. Currently, they are updating the game’s software so rounds are free. Once things are fixed, rounds will be $5 each with the opportunity  to win prizes up to a free cruise. 
00D1917B-8AF9-448D-B229-556533BA1C41.thumb.jpeg.f8be578ff987aa929977264fdcd5faf5.jpeg1E33E131-E37D-4B36-B977-D5139CB62A3C.thumb.jpeg.51f463ee42f84008df78d6d00d8a001e.jpeg00D1917B-8AF9-448D-B229-556533BA1C41.thumb.jpeg.f8be578ff987aa929977264fdcd5faf5.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

86BAE600-E712-4DCC-B147-22A4F1769195.jpeg

F2B96DAF-EE2E-4748-A928-A3522EFB3536.jpeg

58AF355F-4960-4AD3-A40B-EABEBB42DD79.jpeg

9173213B-9358-43EF-A75C-05E079D5E284.jpeg

Wow...prices have gone down since our transatlantic cruise. It was $40 for darts and $15 for mini golf. Good to hear.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

The Wi-Fi on the ship continues to be borderline unusable. No, let’s make that unusable. (Sorry about the dupe posts…)They have restarted the system again, so maybe The Bird can sneak in a couple of posts. 

From yesterday

Good Night

A9885ABF-096D-4995-A269-264C8465F9D9.thumb.jpeg.d03951cd591664249bf90761ec28cc7d.jpeg

On the TA the WIFI was great for about three days then started to constantly dropout, noticed in the food hall around the same time the kiosk started having issues. The bar severs stopped using the tablets and started writing things down by the end of the cruise.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

Wow...prices have gone down since our transatlantic cruise. It was $40 for darts and $15 for mini golf. Good to hear.

I think that's because mini golf and darts should be included regardless of how many fancy arse interactive elements/couches you put around. The prices you mention are absolutely crazy! The prices @BirdTravels mention are insane! Heck, I was too cheap to play a round of pool in O'Sheehan's for $3...another game that ought to be included in the fare. Frankie boy is definitely getting his paycheck this year. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

I think that's because mini golf and darts should be included regardless of how many fancy arse interactive elements/couches you put around. The prices you mention are absolutely crazy! The prices @BirdTravels mention are insane! Heck, I was too cheap to play a round of pool in O'Sheehan's for $3...another game that ought to be included in the fare. Frankie boy is definitely getting his paycheck this year. 

I understand what you're saying and agree with you.  However, the other issue is that if they were all free (which would be really nice) you know you'd have groups who would just take it over and not leave.  By charging even a nominal fee, people will take there one turn and then someone else can play.

The only other thing would be to have a cruise staff member stationed at these things and making sure that no one hogs them.  And we know how well that would work!  The staff hates to reprimand passengers (chair hogs anyone).

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, goldmom said:

I understand what you're saying and agree with you.  However, the other issue is that if they were all free (which would be really nice) you know you'd have groups who would just take it over and not leave.  By charging even a nominal fee, people will take there one turn and then someone else can play.

The only other thing would be to have a cruise staff member stationed at these things and making sure that no one hogs them.  And we know how well that would work!  The staff hates to reprimand passengers (chair hogs anyone).

Oh come on now! You're making logical arguments and I don't like this. 🙂 

Mini golf, well I think that's probably a one and done. Maybe some groups would keep on going "hogging" it, but at least you can play behind them. 

Of course I have no clue how it would work (and I'm a former dir. of operations), but I'm sure a system could be in place to reserve the area for a certain period of time. I definitely understand your comment that staff won't want to ask someone who's overstayed to leave. 

Have you ever been to a pool bar that uses the quarter system? Perhaps, NCL could have people take a chip, lay it on the pool table/dart machine claiming next play. I don't know, just tossing out ideas.

I do certainly get what you mean though and it's a point well-taken! 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, goldmom said:

Exactly..

21 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Have you ever been to a pool bar that uses the quarter system? Perhaps, NCL could have people take a chip, lay it on the pool table/dart machine claiming next play. I don't know, just tossing out ideas.

Yes. When we first started cruising, you used to have to rent deck chairs. And tip the pool attendant to set up a hard, wooden lounger for you. Hog prevention. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1