9:40am flight

Tomnsgirl

Check which day of the week.  Weekdays have fewer ships in port and traffic is never - almost never? - an issue since Port Everglades the Fort Lauderdale airport are only separated by a highway.  Weekends during the high season (Christmas through Easter) can have 7 or more ships in port.  That can impact both the Port (is Customs and Immigration fully staffed for your disembarkation?) and the airport since a large number of those disembarking are going straight to the airport.  Check-in and security lines can get very long and waiting areas in the terminals very full. 

Consider all of the following (if I left anything out I'm sure others will chime in) before making your decision:

• Day of the week.
  • Time of the year.
  • Ship's arrival time which does not equal disembarkation time; to be safe add at least 1/2 hour to that before the first passengers disembark.
  • Can you do self disembarkation - walk off with your luggage?  Then you will be at the front of the disembarkation queue and first to the taxi stand.  If not, get the earliest disembarkation time slot for those doing a regular disembarkation (luggage picket up the night before from the hallway outside your cabin and you retrieve it in the luggage area before Customs and Immigration).
  • Catch a taxi (don't wait for Uber, Lyft or a shuttle).
  • Travel only with a carry-on so you don't have to stand in potentially long check-in and luggage drop off lines.
  • Have TSA pre-check and use it to get through security quickly.
  • Finally, have a Plan B just in case!

I have made flights as early as 10:15 with no issues. I think 9:40 can be done but you need to really hustle.  The ships usually start allowing walk offs between 7=715 but it is dependent on customs being ready. With no hold ups you should be able to walk off and get through customs before 8. Cab ride to FLL is 15 min or less so that gets you there’s by 8:15 or earlier.  At FLL security can take 30 min. Remember a 9:40 flight today starts boarding by 9:10 and they usually close the door well  before 9:40.    

Clearly you need to walk off but there will be hundreds of others as well. You need to get down and line up early. So you can be one of the first off.