Sea Dog is Live with Life on Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness in the MDR. 10-16.

Sea Dog

46 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

I didn't know about the happy hour on Celebrity.  We usually buy the whole package when we sail Celebrity...cruise, drinks and gratuities included.

We book suites that includes drink package so I have never actually used free happy hour , I love the bundled package including OBC we have 800 OBC on our cruise next month.

• Like 2

On 10/22/2022 at 11:09 PM, Sea Dog said:

All packed up. Luggage tags attached. Sitting on the balcony one last time with cognac in hand . It’s been a fantastic week despite injury and pain. Liberty of the Seas is still a great ship to sail on. Great crew who take pride in what they do.

My only disappointment was the bourbon selection on board and my inability to connect with one bartender all week. This is the first cruise where I stayed out of the Schooner Bar. The main highlight excursion was Stingray City.

Unfortunately we never saw our adopted friend Elaine after our excursion together. I hope she had a good time.

My fears of a wild drunken crowd from the Country Music Cruise was quickly put to ease. This was one cruise we’re everyone was polite and respectful. I met some really nice people.

I’ll post a few more for our trip back home. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Sorry I didn’t get any Compasses to scan. I pretty much keep up to date in the app. No need for compasses in my book.

Thanks for following along. This was my most viewed review yet. I hope you enjoyed more of a personal story. I was a story teller professionally for over 40 years until retirement. I like telling stories that are personal and ones that people can relate . It keeps my head in the game. And if I can make someone laugh or cry, give them some information they might find helpful or just plain entertain then my job is fulfilled.

Good night friends. I’ll be up early getting some breakfast and making sure I take my meds and drink plenty of water.

Great review as usual Greg.  Thanks for spending the time.

• Like 1

Just got back from my doctors office who took new X-rays on my left shoulder. He confirmed what the ER doc said. Separated shoulder (joint type 3 injury) and hairline fracture of the tip of the clavicle. He said it will heal on it's on, no surgery and that I don't need to wear the sling unless I want to for comfort.

The cause, it wasn't not taking my blood pressure meds though he reminded me to always take my meds. But was caused by Micturition syncope which is most common in older men and usually when getting up at night from a deep sleep. The exact cause of micturition syncope isn't fully understood. But it may be related to a fall in blood pressure when you get up suddenly and stand at the toilet. My doc said the fact that I was dehydrated didn't help matters. He also said I had virtually nothing as far as blood/alcohol content so the two cocktails did not cause anything.

Bottom line, I'm getting older and things like this can happen. He said being careful won't guarantee it won't happen again. Main thing is if I start to fell lightheaded sit immediately on the floor.

• Like 23

48 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Just got back from my doctors office who took new X-rays on my left shoulder. He confirmed what the ER doc said. Separated shoulder (joint type 3 injury) and hairline fracture of the tip of the clavicle. He said it will heal on it's on, no surgery and that I don't need to wear the sling unless I want to for comfort.

The cause, it wasn't not taking my blood pressure meds though he reminded me to always take my meds. But was caused by Micturition syncope which is most common in older men and usually when getting up at night from a deep sleep. The exact cause of micturition syncope isn't fully understood. But it may be related to a fall in blood pressure when you get up suddenly and stand at the toilet. My doc said the fact that I was dehydrated didn't help matters. He also said I had virtually nothing as far as blood/alcohol content so the two cocktails did not cause anything.

Bottom line, I'm getting older and things like this can happen. He said being careful won't guarantee it won't happen again. Main thing is if I start to fell lightheaded sit immediately on the floor.

Glad it was not worse.

Take care of you now, lots of R&R.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Getting old sucks.  But it's better than the alternative.  Happy to hear that your shoulder will heal on its own and that the sling is optional.  

+1

We always say the same thing....totally beats the alternative😉

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Luckynana said:

+1

We always say the same thing....totally beats the alternative😉

My mom you just very recently passed really hoped she would pass away for last several years even though she had no pain , my dad passed about a decade ago and so many of her friends, she was 96.

• Like 4

Greg, So glad to hear that your injury wasn't more severe, but a shoulder separation can be very painful, as you have experienced. If your primary physician recommended physical therapy (PT), heed his recommendation. Doing the PT may keep you from having limited range of motion in that shoulder later. The Greater Houston area (that includes Galveston) is a really good place to be if you need any type of medical attention... although I will say you can easily get lost in the Medical Center area in Houston trying to get where you're going.

Also, delighted to hear you found the Beaver nuggets. Buc-ee's has 4 or 5 flavors plus they have 3 flavors of Nug-ees (think Nuggets but with cheese flavoring) , so you'll have to go back and try them all! If you get tired of the Beaver Nuggets, they have about 30 flavors of fudge. I've tried a few - delicious, but can be hard on your waistline. Besides it'll take you another couple of stops to look through the entire store! Just consider these some things to do and eat on your Texas Buc-ee's bucket list. One thing your probably didn't notice - Buc-ee's doesn't allow 18 wheelers! It makes it easier on the cars, but sometimes the parking lot (and up to 120 gas pumps) looks like rush hour in a city.

Best regards,

Dave

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Bars and Cocktails

Schooner bar which is always my favorite was a disappointment. Only because it was so crowded most night I could never get a seat. And the poor piano player had to suffer while most were watching the Astros game instead of him. Bartenders were ok but not a lot of personality. I did not connect with anyone. Most disappointing was the liquor selection. You know I'm a bourbon guy. There was no Makers, no Four Roses, no Elijah Craig, no Woodford Reserve, and others. Clearly Symphony got the love not Liberty. They did have Buffalo Trace and Templeton Rye which satisfied me. In the pool bar I did notice a lot of light pours for the alcohol.

I experienced all the same on Voyager - Schooner was packed, poor selection, many dull bartenders, and light pours.  The exception was the VK lounge.  They didn't have a better selection, but the bartenders were great and pouring generously.

20 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Oh I forgot.

Internet

This was my first experience with Star Link. When it worked it was great. What do I mean? From time to time in different locations on the ship, my Liberty-Guest Wi-Fi on my phone would show no connection. I found myself more than several times a day having to reconnect to the server. I don't know if this is as someone suggested Starlink switching from one satellite in the sky to another or something else. Sometimes when I would upload a photo to CC it would take a few seconds others would stall out. Could it be a CC thing? I don't think so because I don't experience this at home.

Also most videos from my phone would never upload, they would stall out. I had better luck uploading video to You Tube and then posting a link. In the end it was a vast improvement from before. I don't think I could have even done a live review had it not be for Starlink. I'm confident that with time they will work out any bugs and it will get better.

I think the problem is not Starlink, because I have the same issue with Voom.  I believe that the wifi access points they use on the ships (at least the older ones - I have no experience with Oasis or Quantum class) is not a true "mesh" system and doesn't hand-off well when you move around.  I found myself switching my device's wifi off and back on each time I relocated to get a decent signal.  

I also had issues uploading to CC (no video -just pictures).  What started doing was just taking a screen shot of the photo which cut the file size down tremendously and it would work better.  With Voom on Voyager, the upload speeds were actually much faster than download, which seems to be typical of satellite Internet service.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rudeney said:

I think the problem is not Starlink, because I have the same issue with Voom.  I believe that the wifi access points they use on the ships (at least the older ones - I have no experience with Oasis or Quantum class) is not a true "mesh" system and doesn't hand-off well when you move around.  I found myself switching my device's wifi off and back on each time I relocated to get a decent signal.  

I also had issues uploading to CC (no video -just pictures).  What started doing was just taking a screen shot of the photo which cut the file size down tremendously and it would work better.  With Voom on Voyager, the upload speeds were actually much faster than download, which seems to be typical of satellite Internet service.

That makes sense to me especially on a ship where there are metal walls everywhere. I sure the signal can't hand off very well from one area to the next.

I like your idea of screenshots of the pictures. I will try that next time.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, George C said:

My mom you just very recently passed really hoped she would pass away for last several years even though she had no pain , my dad passed about a decade ago and so many of her friends, she was 96.

God Bless your Mom.  A dear friend of mine who will soon be 91, has mentioned how she misses so many of her departed friends.  Luckily, Lois is a vibrant woman who still loves to dance, and seems to have more energy than Jim and I combined!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I did receive a new cruise vacation pic to share.

IMG-0001.thumb.jpg.956a8841dc8526e0dcf19733f748220b.jpg

Not sure I can see the fracture but if the doctor says it's there I trust him. Feeling better today. Hopefully on the mend.

Greg, Nice Halloween skeleton picture.... you really went out of your way....🤣

Dave

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I did receive a new cruise vacation pic to share.

IMG-0001.thumb.jpg.956a8841dc8526e0dcf19733f748220b.jpg

Not sure I can see the fracture but if the doctor says it's there I trust him. Feeling better today. Hopefully on the mend.

WOW!!

Sorry to see this,

Speedy recovery.

5 hours ago, Deeliteful said:

Tried my first Kraken colada last night! Wow! Had to have another but probably 17000 calories in each one 😱 but thanks for the recommend. 

cheers

Pat

I might make a batch for my poker buddies this Sunday, I doubt I can talk my wife into trying it because of the calories .

5 hours ago, Deeliteful said:

Tried my first Kraken colada last night! Wow! Had to have another but probably 17000 calories in each one 😱 but thanks for the recommend. 

cheers

Pat

I'm glad you enjoyed it. It has become my favorite rum. Here is the nutritional data on Kraken.

Calories: 105 per 1 oz. 1 carb per 1 oz. 1.9g sugar per 100 ml on the rum which is not that bad.

Good news is that Kraken is good for those on Keto diet. It's low on carbs.

The Sunsational colada mix is a lot more

Calories from 2.7 oz 150

Calories from fate 3.5 g

Sodium 95mg

Carbs 28 g

Sugars 27 g

1 hour ago, LATTELOVE said:

WOW!!

Sorry to see this,

Speedy recovery.

Thanks. starting to feel a little better.

1 hour ago, crewsweeper said:

Seadog,

Thanks for taking us on your cruise. Wishing you speedy recovery on the shoulder.

Thank you. Mainly resting at home taking it easy. Mowing the grass is going to have to wait.

15 minutes ago, George C said:

I might make a batch for my poker buddies this Sunday, I doubt I can talk my wife into trying it because of the calories .

You could make a version for her using the Jordan's Skinny Mixes. That is what I do for Linda.

https://www.skinnymixes.com/products/skinny-pina-colada-mix

• Like 2

On 10/15/2022 at 8:43 AM, mo&fran said:

Oh, it could have been much worse.  7 days before a 2 week repo cruise, I fainted while on a midnight toilet break.  4 broken ribs, punctured lung,  4 days in ICU, 2 units of blood. And we made the cruise with the doctors blessing.  

I'm a little late to the party, but ..... just how tall is your toilet??? 😲🤔

• Like 1