Where do Oceania Ships Dock in Istanbul?

Psoque

Hi.  I apologize if this has been extensively covered elsewhere.

We want to know where the Oceania ships typically dock in Istanbul.  We will be arriving there on Oceania Riviera on November 28, 2023.  I did some looking on the internet and saw that there is a new large cruise ship terminal called Galataport that just opened last year in Karakoy.  Would that be our best bet?  Or is it the case that the ship could go to any of the other facilities in the area?

Edited by Psoque

19 minutes ago, Psoque said:

Hi.  I apologize if this has been extensively covered elsewhere.

We want to know where the Oceania ships typically dock in Istanbul.  We will be arriving there on Oceania Riviera on November 28, 2023.  I did some looking on the internet and saw that there is a new large cruise ship terminal called Galataport that just opened last year in Karakoy.  Would that be our best bet?  Or is it the case that the ship could go to any of the other facilities in the area?

You are right its a new cruise terminal  ,but the walk  from the ship to the exit  is the longest I have had at any port,don't get ataxi from there as they rip you off ,make them put the meter on .

Finding  your way back is also  very difficult  as the entance is  in a shopping parade and not easy to spot .

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Psoque said:

Thanks.  If the taxi drivers are not honest, is there a better option to get to our post-cruise hotel?  We are looking at options in either Karakoy or Saltanahmet.

Its been a while but we liked the Erguvan Hotel in Saltanahmet  Great location and fairly priced at the time.

Next year we are staying pre-cruise at an Oceania hotel in Istanbul, the InterContinental Istanbul which is located in Taksim. We decided on this hotel as we will have transfers included to and from the ship and included breakfast. Realize many do not take the Oceania hotel package however, it what suits us best. 

You might find more info on Istanbul hotels in this thread and the difficulty in obtaining a taxi from the new cruise port on these threads:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/472-mediterranean-eastern-western/ and this one

12 hours ago, WESTEAST said:

Next year we are staying pre-cruise at an Oceania hotel in Istanbul, the InterContinental Istanbul which is located in Taksim. We decided on this hotel as we will have transfers included to and from the ship and included breakfast. Realize many do not take the Oceania hotel package however, it what suits us best. 

You might find more info on Istanbul hotels in this thread and the difficulty in obtaining a taxi from the new cruise port on these threads:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/472-mediterranean-eastern-western/ and this one

Thanks for your info.

I’m hoping there is a way to get a reasonably priced and reliable transportation from the ship to our hotel when we disembark.

The reason I do not find the hotel through the cruise line, or paying for transfer through the cruise line is because we end up overpaying for them.

Everyone have his/her way of looking at the same realities, but for me, being ripped off by a taxi driver or the cruise line are both unacceptable.  Ideally, I prefer finding a hotel in a reasonable location for a fair price, as well as transportation to it from the ship at a reasonable price.

16 minutes ago, Psoque said:

Thanks for your info.

I’m hoping there is a way to get a reasonably priced and reliable transportation from the ship to our hotel when we disembark.

The reason I do not find the hotel through the cruise line, or paying for transfer through the cruise line is because we end up overpaying for them.

Everyone have his/her way of looking at the same realities, but for me, being ripped off by a taxi driver or the cruise line are both unacceptable.  Ideally, I prefer finding a hotel in a reasonable location for a fair price, as well as transportation to it from the ship at a reasonable price.

You could always pre book a private car service (if available ) then you will know the cost upfront

Contact the hotel & see if they can recommend  something

JMO

• Like 1

You could stay at one the hotels Karakoy.  JW Marriot is a good example.

Most hotels in Istanbul can arrange a pickup.

Some of the luxury ones like the Shangri-la nearby have a golf cart pickup/drop off service.

The Peninsula hotel right at the port has yet to open.  Depending on your cruise date it could be an option.

9 hours ago, PaulMCO said:

You could stay at one the hotels Karakoy.  JW Marriot is a good example.

Most hotels in Istanbul can arrange a pickup.

Some of the luxury ones like the Shangri-la nearby have a golf cart pickup/drop off service.

The Peninsula hotel right at the port has yet to open.  Depending on your cruise date it could be an option.

Thanks for this info.

I'm sure we can figure something out and find a reasonably priced hotel and a reliable transportation.

13 hours ago, Psoque said:

Thanks for your info.

I guess that your position makes sense....BUT it is also nice as was the case with us a couple of weeks ago - was the complete package that Oceania provided us.  We enjoyed a good quality bus from the terminal to the hotel - complete with a guide.  We also enjoyed early check in due to our "relationship" with Oceania.  There was a designated Oceania representative in the hotel which was extremely helpful in keeping us informed on our transportation to the airport, tours......etc.

It is not that I don't "get it" that it is entirely possible to do the logistic planning independently - but it is also really NICE to have it all handled and to have Oceania stand by all of the transfers, hotel reservations etc.  Certainly I acknowledge all of you that make independent arrangements.....but I also enjoy the simplicity of having it all handled.  Thankfully there is a place for us all to make our own decisions as to whether or not we enjoy the ease of booking with Oceania  for these reservations.

• Like 5

Boarding in Istanbul was a circus a couple weeks ago.  They really haven't figured out how to make the new terminal work very well.  You would assume that if a ship was disembarking that there would be plenty of cabs, but that may not be the case.  As you have read the taxis can be a bit of a pain, unless you are getting in one at a hotel.  The good thing is with the currency issues even the inflated price is really not that much, just make sure you have a price set before getting in the cab.  If you are spending a few days in Istanbul look at the Istanbul e-pass.  Not only does it get you guided tours to most of the sites, but if you have whats app you can text them and they will respond quickly with all kinds of local advice.  We stayed at the Park Hyatt in a wonderful area that is close to the port.

Local transportation/tour industries can be very sketchy in many countries with unstable political/economic situations.  We have experience similar situation in various ports around the world (Buenos Aires, Bali, Cozumel, Piraeus, and more that we can’t even remember).  However, to me, getting overcharged $10-20 for a cab ride is much more acceptable than willingly pay a cruise line $200-$300 a night more for a hotel for the “convenience” of not thinking about how much it costs.

I think what is important to me is to know what everything should cost and decide for ourselves what is “worth it” for us in terms of money, time, and the hassle.

Obviously, for some, doing exactly that is not really a viable option, and I have no personal problem with it.

• Like 1

Get a private transfer.  There are several companies listed or were listed on Trip Advisor which we used previously in Istanbul and found them to be reliable.  Also when we were to go to the ship, we had reception book a car for us and had a set price.  Worked well.

The new port as several have mentioned, you walk and walk. On the way to the ship you have to walk through the duty free store.  Prices are higher than in town.  If you are wearing a Fitbit, you will get your steps in just walking in the port building.

Edited by no fuss travel
wrong forum used previously

We stayed in Sultanahmet for a few days pre-cruise.  The taxi ride wasn't long or expensive, but of course it got bogged down a bit in Istanbul traffic, especially crossing the Galata Bridge.  We used the tram and ferry to sightsee and get us around, only using a taxi for the trip to Galataport.  It was the week after Ramadan and the city was extra-packed with extra bad traffic.  From the airport to Sultanahmet was a nightmare, but I don't know if that's normally the case or not.  We used a pre-paid trip for that.  I forget the name of the company, but can find it if anyone wants it.  It worked well, other than the horrendous traffic jams. Our hotel, a small one, also offered us the option to purchase a ride through a cab company they used. Prices were similar.  You my want to ask your hotel about transportation.  To get to Galataport we just had our hotel call for a taxi.  Make sure taxi driver knows where to take you.  Ours knew where to go to get into the underground building that is Galataport, but once in there, signage was poor, with nobody to direct him, and he dropped us off at a door that's for people being dropped off without luggage and with Oceania world cards (card you get after checking in at disembarkation. We don't speak Turkish & person at gate behind door didn't speak English, so it was difficult.  Once we did embarkation check in (which was pretty efficient) we thought we were almost on the ship.  But there were two long sloping ramps up to the ship doors.  Ships are very well protected at Galataport!

Getting off the ship and back out into the commercial area of Galataport was easier (and you don't go through the basement!), but of course my World Card didn't work so that was a (minor) hassle.  I went out, find the Tophane tram stop nearby, and did a little sightseeing before getting back on the ship.  

There are a couple hotels, newish I believe, around Galataport. I have no idea if they're nice or not, but I saw a couple listed on the Galataport website, so it may be worthwhile to take a look. The neighborhood is decent, and the tram could be used to get you to many places tourists want to go. 

As for other ways to get to the port, I can't think of any other than taxi, pre-paid voucher for taxi, or tram.  But I'd rule out the tram - crowded, and likely very difficult with luggage. 

The new JW Marriott is across the street and a few blocks from the port.  It’s flat and even new pavers so an easy walk with luggage.

The Four Seasons in Sultanahmet is really nice and in the middle of all the ancient sights.  It was once a prison.

with the taxi, negotiate price up front, be firm, and pay in exact change, we had friends receive counterfeit euros as change once.

14 hours ago, the more ports the better said:

The new JW Marriott is across the street and a few blocks from the port.  It’s flat and even new pavers so an easy walk with luggage.

The Four Seasons in Sultanahmet is really nice and in the middle of all the ancient sights.  It was once a prison.

with the taxi, negotiate price up front, be firm, and pay in exact change, we had friends receive counterfeit euros as change once.

Expensive tastes -- over 1K Euro these days.   But it is nice as is the 4 Seasons on the Bosporus

The JW is nice but avoid the inside looking rooms.  To me very claustrophobic.  The Novotel next door is also OK.

Any thoughts on staying in Esentepe pre-cruise and getting to the port from there?  We've never been to Istanbul, but were desperate to book a hotel thanks to a major event in town while we'll be there, so we chose the closest Hilton chain with availability.

We enjoyed the Intercontinental hotel post cruise.....short ride from the Galapaport which is where we docked.  Great views from the restaurant/bar located on the top floor of the hotel.....good food as well.  Our only issue was the loud music coming from bars/clubs around the hotel.  Istanbul IS a party town for sure.  And not sure that there is a way around the crowds.....as we experienced them day and night for all three days we were there...both while on the ship and staying in the hotel.

5 hours ago, PaulMCO said:

Expensive tastes -- over 1K Euro these days.   But it is nice as is the 4 Seasons on the Bosporus

The JW is nice but avoid the inside looking rooms.  To me very claustrophobic.  The Novotel next door is also OK.

There are two Four Seasons.  I’ve never stayed on the one on the Bosporus but it does look nice.  I have stayed at the one in Sultanahmet, right on Sultanahmet Square adjacent to the Hagia Sofia.  It is very convenient.  It is usually more reasonable than the Bosporus property.  Also, for us Americans, for the time being, the dollar is a good value compared to the Euro.

For the JW, top floors have Bosporus view, quite a bit pricier but worth it.  Also, they have great point availability and nice upgrades for Marriott Bonvoy members.

I’ trying to “refocus” the topic to the original one, unless that’s of no interest to anyone.

So is it the case that all cruise ships will dock at the new Galataport in Istanbul?  If that’s the case, it makes it a lot more predictable for us, making it easy to arrange our post-cruise plans.

We are probably going to stay in Saltanahmet after the cruise since we want to stay in the “old” part of the city.

1 hour ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Marina and other cruise ships moor pier side in Istanbul.

Perhaps you could explain to all of us what is the difference between docking and mooring in this particular case, to make your posting a bit more constructive??

• Like 1

On 10/26/2022 at 11:34 AM, Psoque said:

I’ trying to “refocus” the topic to the original one, unless that’s of no interest to anyone.

So is it the case that all cruise ships will dock at the new Galataport in Istanbul?  If that’s the case, it makes it a lot more predictable for us, making it easy to arrange our post-cruise plans.

We are probably going to stay in Saltanahmet after the cruise since we want to stay in the “old” part of the city.

Posque, yes, I have paid attention to where ships moor/dock in Istanbul.  It's where they moored several years before and only the terminal (Galataport) is new, not the location.  I was curious about the new terminal, so looked at where ships moored on Marine Traffic before and after our May cruise.  Big and small, it was always along the water at Galataport (Salipazari berth, as someone mentions). If you're going to have someone drop you off, just make sure they know how that goes for passengers boarding a cruise ship.  I believe the cab driver will be directed to one side of the building, and go down to the basement.  But after that, I can't really help other than to caution you to make sure he can find the proper place to drop you.  We (well, mostly he, cab driver) had trouble in May, but maybe there is signage now to help.  And unless you're on a tiny cruise ship I believe you can plan on being assigned to the Salapazari berth. (For a tiny ship, who knows? Oceania small ships and Azamara ships are small, but not tiny.)

We have now stayed twice in Sultanahmet before\after a cruise (once pre-Galataport and more recently in May) and found it to be a good place for sightseeing, especially if you're planning to use public transportation and/or your feet to get around.   Getting from the airport wasn't terribly bad, though in May it took forever because it was the end of Ramadan week and the traffic was worse than usual.   But we were bogged down with luggage and didn't feel we could manage anything but taxi.  (We used Efendi, prepaid, for airport pickup.)  Getting to the port from Sultanahmet was reasonably easy & fast (maybe 20 minutes by cab).  

Edited by IWantToLiveOverTheSea