Is it Better to Purchase Wifi in Advance of Your Cruise or Does It Matter?

Smokeyham

44 minutes ago, pompeii said:

I thought that, but when I just put in an order for my medallion on a different cruise, it shows black for elite.  And on that 27-day cruise as well, the app shows $269.73 for a 1 device package.  So I don't think that's the issue.  Is there a place on the app where it actually says your loyalty level?  I see a little circle next to my profile pic, but it's so small I can't tell if it's dark blue or black.   I also checked for updates for the app, and I believe I have the most current version 4.5.1

When signed in to MC App, tap on your photo in the top left.  A menu should pop out from the left showing your cruise booking dates and another larger photo of you.  There is a Seawitch logo there with the color of your CC Member Level.  It should be black for you.  If it is, then I cannot explain the MedallionNet issue as it was fixed.  You would have to call in and use the phone tree selections to get to the MC App team.

10 minutes ago, rocklinmom said:

We are elite so are supposed to get the Wifi at half off (so $5 per day vs. $10) but I read somewhere that you get that discount as half back onboard as OBC. Is this accurate? Or can you get the half off discount when purchasing it pre cruise? 

Sorry, old news.  The App was not working for a period of time for Net sales, but has been fixed for a while now.  As long as the App recognizes your CC Member Level, it offers it at 50% off and no need for OBC credit.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

When signed in to MC App, tap on your photo in the top left.  A menu should pop out from the left showing your cruise booking dates and another larger photo of you.  There is a Seawitch logo there with the color of your CC Member Level.  It should be black for you.  If it is, then I cannot explain the MedallionNet issue as it was fixed.  You would have to call in and use the phone tree selections to get to the MC App team.

Yeah, thanks, that's the tiny little circle I was looking at under my profile.  It's so small I can't tell for sure what color it is and it doesn't enlarge.  I was hoping there was a place in the app where it actually says in words a passenger's loyalty level, like it does on your personalizer.   I think I'll give the app team a call again.  Thanks for your efforts.

1 hour ago, rocklinmom said:

We are elite so are supposed to get the Wifi at half off (so $5 per day vs. $10) but I read somewhere that you get that discount as half back onboard as OBC. Is this accurate? Or can you get the half off discount when purchasing it pre cruise? 

like many things Princess, it depends...

• I can get it at half off when logged into the Medallion app but others cannot 
  • In Jan when I had to pay full price I could only get non-refundable OBC credit
  • in Sept I decided to wait until onboard  even though it was the 1/2 off in the app because I had too much OBC to spend & wanted to use that...once onboard on the first day in the app I was able to purchase with OBC at 1/2 off & at the pre-sailing price
  • will any of this be true for your cruise or my next cruise? WHO KNOWS
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, pompeii said:

I thought that, but when I just put in an order for my medallion on a different cruise, it shows black for elite.  And on that 27-day cruise as well, the app shows $269.73 for a 1 device package.  So I don't think that's the issue.  Is there a place on the app where it actually says your loyalty level?  I see a little circle next to my profile pic, but it's so small I can't tell if it's dark blue or black.   I also checked for updates for the app, and I believe I have the most current version 4.5.1

Go into your captains club profile. You don’t move up a tear until you have actually completed the cruises. Future do not count. 

1 hour ago, ericosmith said:

I"m on the Plus option so I get 2 one device plans included.  It shows an option to upgrade to a 4 device plan for $50 (it's a 10 day cruise and I'm platinum).  If I do that will I end up with 4 or 5 devices total?

you have 1 device & your cabin mate has 1 device? if so then you would have 4 & they would still have 1 (just did this on the Sapphire)

13 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

No.  This has been covered.  Since they fixed the discount offer in the App for people to buy, you should not expect to get the pre-cruise price on the ship - even on Day 1.

Explain why I bought it on board for the $5. I don't have an APP and many people don't care to have their app and Princess still wants our business. I am relating first hand experience.

9 hours ago, rocklinmom said:

On one occasion I purchased it via a phone rep for $10 and the credit of $5 Per day appeared on my OBC when I boarded. On 2 other occasions I purchased it on board the first day and it was $5 assuming you are Platinum or Elite tier.

I purchased it with the IT tech at the internet cafe on one occasion and simply said I don't use any App's.

Edited by cruzsnooze
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cruzsnooze said:

Explain why I bought it on board for the $5. I don't have an APP and many people don't care to have their app and Princess still wants our business. I am relating first hand experience.

If you noted, I try not to post in absolutes unless certain.  It was great you got that rate.  Shows that it can happen, but I wouldn't expect it in all situations.

1 hour ago, cruzsnooze said:

On one occasion I purchased it via a phone rep for $10 and the credit of $5 Per day appeared on my OBC when I boarded. On 2 other occasions I purchased it on board the first day and it was $5 assuming you are Platinum or Elite tier.

I purchased it with the IT tech at the internet cafe on one occasion and simply said I don't use any App's.

You presented the scenario to justify it and did it at the Cafe where they have ability to do any overrides - if required.  Glad it worked for you when needed.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, rocklinmom said:

Unfortunately the answer is sometimes "yes" and sometimes "no."

No idea of what causes it to be one way or the other. Programing changes? Phases of the moon? Certain planets being in retrograde? Other?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

Some times people like yourself have reported they could do this the first day on board.

Other times people have reported they were not allowed to do this.

Maybe it varies by ship. Maybe it varies by Internet manager. Maybe it varies by phases of the moon.

• Like 3

If you don't do the plus play, but want to add wifi and a drink package and pay for it prior to boarding, is that possible? I thought I read on this thread that you could, but looking at my cruise in December and I don't see anyplace on the app to add any kind of purchased services?

12 hours ago, RKSue said:

Go into your captains club profile. You don’t move up a tear until you have actually completed the cruises. Future do not count. 

My husband and I are both elite, that is not in question.  Our personalizers on the website reflect that.  I was asking if there was a place on the app (not on the personalizer) where it indicates a passenger's loyalty level so you can check that the app reflects it correctly.  Many people are reporting that the app does not have their correct level.  

48 minutes ago, pompeii said:

My husband and I are both elite, that is not in question.  Our personalizers on the website reflect that.  I was asking if there was a place on the app (not on the personalizer) where it indicates a passenger's loyalty level so you can check that the app reflects it correctly.  Many people are reporting that the app does not have their correct level.  

Yes. On your profile picture and on your ocean ready. See pictures below. I’m thinking a lot of people have more than one email account. I do. That could be the difference. 

also about 8-10 weeks ago IT did a basic upgrade and merge. Also added the new bidding process. I’m guessing since I worked with IT for 30 years it’s got something to do with the software upgrades. It’s common to get glitches. I could not check to add or see any suites. It kept telling me sorry for the “inconvenience “. It took me almost 3 weeks to book a cruise. The site crashed constantly. 

24447FF6-28AF-42A0-9E32-07EAD76B3F61.jpeg

574B2D38-A8C6-4830-B109-97BDE3FF7749.jpeg

On 10/19/2022 at 7:45 AM, kywildcatfanone said:

If you don't do the plus play, but want to add wifi and a drink package and pay for it prior to boarding, is that possible? I thought I read on this thread that you could, but looking at my cruise in December and I don't see anyplace on the app to add any kind of purchased services?

So I went onto Princess.com cruise personalizer. Then went to my cruise. It gave me the option to upgrade there. Not on the app. Go to the first page and scroll down  it’s not to far from the top  E48E305B-35B4-4FAD-AC54-4D6F8934D251.thumb.jpeg.cf6b83158411843970eee9cef2777ef8.jpeg

• Like 1

On 10/19/2022 at 7:45 AM, kywildcatfanone said:

Guests pre-order MedallionNet using the MC App (and it should recognize loyalty level).  Guests order a drink package (like coffee & soda, or coffee only) using the Cruise Personalizer - Onboard Services section.  A guest should never order the full drinks package over upgrading to PLUS for $50/day.