Xpedition 10/22 sailing cancelled due to dry dock issue!!!

MisterBill99

We were supposed to be on Xpedition starting this Saturday, and I just got this notice from my travel agent! I free upgrade to Flora would have been nice, but a full refund on my $13k vacation PLUS rebooking or an FCC is very nice.

Dear Travel Partner,

We have some important information regarding your guest's upcoming Galapagos cruise vacation aboard Celebrity Xpedition® .

Celebrity Xpedition recently underwent a routine drydock for standard maintenance and renovation required by the Galapagos National Park. During its final post-drydock trials, additional unforeseen mechanical issues were discovered. Despite our team's round-the-clock efforts to solve this issue in time, the ship's transit to its embarkation port has been delayed by several days. This unfortunately means our Celebrity Xpedition sailing, scheduled to embark Saturday, October 22nd, 2022 must be cancelled.

We ask that you please contact your client(s) to rebook their vacation with the following options:

• Receive a full cruise refund,  and air fee refund (if applicable)* and
  • Move to an alternate Celebrity Xpedition date on any open 22/23 season sailing**

OR

• Receive a full cruise refund and air fee refund (if applicable)* and
  • Receive a 100% FCC Future Cruise Certificate of cruise/vacation package purchased (excluding air, cruise care and taxes and fees)

Edited by MisterBill99

1 minute ago, dlh015 said:

That is extremely generous! (I would take option #2...)

That was my first impression, but given that the price of Galapagos cruises for 2023 is likely higher than I originally paid, I think just moving to 2023 and getting the full refund is preferable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, MisterBill99 said:

That was my first impression, but given that the price of Galapagos cruises for 2023 is likely higher than I originally paid, I think just moving to 2023 and getting the full refund is preferable.

Ah! Good point...I had forgotten about all the big price increases lately. 

I change my vote...lol...

ETA: And it's a twofer either way...DUH on my part...🙂

Edited by dlh015

19 minutes ago, dlh015 said:

Galapagos cruises always seem to get higher the closer you get to the sailing. This was supposed to be a 2020 sailing. We cancelled before they did and my TA foolishly did not use the Cruise With Confidence to rebook for 2021 at the same price, so we picked a 2022 sailing that was still reasonably priced (2021 was too expensive).

As for the options, they really needed to put "and" in bold letters. Our friends who were sailing with us missing that it was a refund AND free cruise. And I initially thought that the "and" was only for the FCC option.

Edited by MisterBill99
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Funky Fusion FoodsJ said:

There have been other reports over the years of "too good to be true" compensatory offers that turn out in the end to a) either be bogus by the author or b) an error by the TA or Cruiseline and later revised.

You're being ridiculous. They literally cancelled what is most people's bucket list vacation two days before they were supposed to leave.

29 minutes ago, dlh015 said:

My first reaction too, was he misunderstod the AND.  Then I saw the AND in both options and I changed my vote too. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MisterBill99 said:

You're being ridiculous. They literally cancelled what is most people's bucket list vacation two days before they were supposed to leave.

Just do the math and you'll see this won't happen, a full refund as well as a free cruise for the entire ship?  I'm not sure Funky is the one in the ridiculous category.......

1 minute ago, OhioBill said:

Just do the math and you'll see this won't happen, a full refund as well as a free cruise for the entire ship?  I'm not sure Funky is the one in the ridiculous category.......

The entire ship is 48 passengers. And they did similar when they stopped cruising at the very start of the Covid shutdown.

Edited by MisterBill99
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, OhioBill said:

You have stated a fact.

And very relevant to your post of doubting them doing it for the entire ship, making it seem like it's for 3000 passengers. I also posted the official email from Celebrity. So I'm talking facts, you and Funky are posting uninformed opinions.

Edited by MisterBill99
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, MisterBill99 said:

The entire ship is 48 passengers. And they did similar when they stopped cruising at the very start of the Covid shutdown.

No they didn't. We were due to leave the very next day (some of our travel party had already left) and they only offered the 125% credit. Nothing like a full refund plus free cruise. I had been expecting that for at least the sailings less than a week away!

Rebooked for next year, and my TA told me "Here is your confirmation for Southern loop cruise, your all paid in full with the FCC they instantly applied to this booking,  and they are going to refund your other cruise too you within 7-10 days."

So I will get the refund and the free cruise, although I'm sure thee are some here who won't believe it even after I get it.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, MisterBill99 said:

Rebooked for next year, and my TA told me "Here is your confirmation for Southern loop cruise, your all paid in full with the FCC they instantly applied to this booking,  and they are going to refund your other cruise too you within 7-10 days."

So I will get the refund and the free cruise, although I'm sure thee are some here who won't believe it even after I get it.

It doesn't matter what they believe. It only matters what you experience.

There are happy endings. Some just refuse to see that. Their loss. 

Bon Voyage!

• Like 1

BTW, for anyone who may care, the ship apparently went to Curaçao for the dry dock, and it's currently still in Aruba.

https://www.cruisemapper.com/?imo=9228368

We will be going to an Ecuadorian restaurant for dinner on Saturday night, since we should have been eating that food tonight. Fortunately, there is a good one in a nearby town.

Edited by MisterBill99
  • Like 1