The Restaurant_Reservations?

Oca

My husband and I are booked on our first Viking Ocean cruise (Verandah cabin) in January.  When we booked the cruise, we were told (and it was written on the confirmation of the booking) that we could make reservations for dinner at The Restaurant beginning on October 10.  When we go to try to make reservations, there is no way to do that.  I see that reservations at Manfredi's and at The Chef's Table are not available.  For The Restaurant you can click on a button to see more but when you do, it does not take you to a screen to make a reservation -- it merely shows you a photo of the restaurant and shows you a sample menu.

We are wondering if one is able to make a reservation for The Restaurant or if you just show up when you would like to dine.

We'd appreciate any information you can give us.

Thank you!

A standard veranda cannot make reservations ahead of boarding, only DV and above. 
Making reservations after you board should not be an issue. No reservations are required for the World Cafe and many people prefer it to the restaurant.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Oca said:

When we booked the cruise, we were told (and it was written on the confirmation of the booking) that we could make reservations for dinner at The Restaurant beginning on October 10. 

Last year, when Viking first restarted cruising, it added a feature to book Restaurant reservations.  This was due to COVID, I believe, to keep the numbers down.  They kept that option open for 6-8 months, then dropped it.  Now it is as it always was:  the only places needing reservations are Manfredis and Chefs Table.   The Restaurant is just walk in, regardless of Cabin category.  Since you do not get any advance reservations at the two specialty restaurants with a V category cabin, just go to the reservations desk when you board and make them, or go to your cabin and use the TV to make them.  It’s easy, and as many have posted, your nearly always get what you want.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

No reservations needed. Mamsen's is the walk-up counter in the Explorers Lounge. Operating hours are posted in the Dailies.

I never said that Mamsen's needed reservations...sorry if that was in some way implied. Just suggested it as worthy of a visit for a bite to eat. 

We were in a V cabin and stopped at the desk to make a reservation for Manfredi’s after a few days at sea. When we gave our cabin number, we were told since we had not been there yet, we would get some preference and booked 6:30 for 4 of us. The other couple hadn’t been there yet either.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OnTheJourney said:

I never said that Mamsen's needed reservations...sorry if that was in some way implied. Just suggested it as worthy of a visit for a bite to eat. 

Sorry. Agreed. You did not say or even imply that reservations were needed.  I was riffing on the reservations theme and providing a bit more information about Mamsen for the OP and other first-timers, nothing more.

• Like 1

Oca,

As others have replied, The Restaurant does not make reservations.  We were on Mars in September, and had dinner there multiple times.  The ship was close to full, around 900 pax, and we would arrive between 6:30 to 7:30, and never had to wait.  There might have been 2-3 couples/groups waiting to check in, but they had multiple staff showing people to tables, so it was a few minutes to be seated.

We were in a DV but were unable to secure advanced reservations through MVJ.  We checked in at Manfredi’s and Chefs Table once on the ship, and made reservations for both for the nights we wanted to dine in each.  

Enjoy your vacation. 

• Like 3

Thank you all very much.  Your replies have been very helpful!  It is sometimes confusing when taking a cruise line for the first time -- we are looking forward to it and your answers have helped us feel more comfortable and knowledgeable about how things work.

On 10/19/2022 at 7:51 PM, Squawkman said:

We were in a V cabin and stopped at the desk to make a reservation for Manfredi’s after a few days at sea. When we gave our cabin number, we were told since we had not been there yet, we would get some preference and booked 6:30 for 4 of us. The other couple hadn’t been there yet either.

Guess it's harder to say "no" face-to-face.  Back in March this year, on our first Viking cruise, I called the reservations number on the 3rd day into the cruise trying to get a reservation for Manfredi's (couldn't get a reservation in MVJ pre-cruise).  I was told they were fully booked for the remainder of the cruise and they couldn't accommodate us.  Chalked it up to missed opportunity on my part at the time.  Now when I think about it, that cruise only had 500 passengers...

Anyhow.  Next month, the first thing I do when I board is to book a table, or two, at Manfredi's at the desk.

• Like 3

We were in a DV & the reservations we were able to book before the cruise were not really what we wanted date or time wise so when we got on board, after lunch, we went down to the restaurants and were able to change them.  We were also able to make additional reservations for Chefs Table. Actually, I would also add that each time we ate in either Chefs Table (3 times) or Manfredi’s (at 8 or 8.30) they never appeared to be fully booked, there always seemed to have spare tables.

4 hours ago, Selion said:

Guess it's harder to say "no" face-to-face.  Back in March this year, on our first Viking cruise, I called the reservations number on the 3rd day into the cruise trying to get a reservation for Manfredi's (couldn't get a reservation in MVJ pre-cruise).  I was told they were fully booked for the remainder of the cruise and they couldn't accommodate us.  Chalked it up to missed opportunity on my part at the time.  Now when I think about it, that cruise only had 500 passengers...

Anyhow.  Next month, the first thing I do when I board is to book a table, or two, at Manfredi's at the desk.

Wow! FWIW, we had 874 passengers. The one sea day was the only day we couldn't book. While menus for the Restaurant and World Cafe are available on Voyager in advance, we found main attractions were often changed last minute for both places. This did make it harder to book Manfredi's in advance as we found out that morning it was surf and turf day in the World Cafe. So I went there before Manfredi's and had a lobster tail as an appetizer there.

On 10/24/2022 at 12:30 PM, Squawkman said:

Wow! FWIW, we had 874 passengers. The one sea day was the only day we couldn't book. While menus for the Restaurant and World Cafe are available on Voyager in advance, we found main attractions were often changed last minute for both places. This did make it harder to book Manfredi's in advance as we found out that morning it was surf and turf day in the World Cafe. So I went there before Manfredi's and had a lobster tail as an appetizer there.

It is always sushi appetizer night when we are headed to CT. 😉 If they are offering lobster tail, even better!