Salty Dog Gastropub

Ombud

On 10/23/2022 at 12:35 AM, justafem said:

We went to the gastro-pub in April on the Ruby.  I won't go back.

There was only 1 other table seated at the time.

We waited 15 minutes before drink order was taken, then it was another 15 mins for our food order to be taken.  20 minutes waiting the cold cheese and breadsticks, 30 more for the food to arrive.  Then we sat and sat and sat, waiting for dessert.  All together it took over 2 1/2 hours for mediocre food, poor service and our drinks were never refilled. 

For a couple dollars more, we can go to Sabatini's.  

You should have complained. You'd likely have been comped.

I've done the Salty Dog twice.  Once pre-Covid and once post Covid, both times on the Ruby.  Pre-Covid it was a good value at 12.00 upcharge with a delicious Crab Cake on the menu.  They took away the Crab Cake, subbed in a chicken sandwich and raised the price 6 dollars.  And the beer on tap selection is abysmal for a Gastropub.  I'll take a pass from now on and just go to Sabatinis for a few dollars more.

9 hours ago, iamaqt2 said:

I'll take a pass from now on and just go to Sabatinis for a few dollars more.

That's disappointing.  As a strict vegetarian I'll go to Gigis for pasta. There's not enough in any of the other specialty restaurants that entices me

8 minutes ago, Ombud said:

That's disappointing.  As a strict vegetarian I'll go to Gigis for pasta. There's not enough in any of the other specialty restaurants that entices me

The eggplant pasta roll is sooo good.  No need to spend more money on upcharge.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, billco said:

Currently on the Crown Princess. Salty Dog Gastro Pub has been discontinued. Hopefully it will still be available on Discovery Princess in February.

What's there instead??

7 minutes ago, billco said:

Currently on the Crown Princess. Salty Dog Gastro Pub has been discontinued. Hopefully it will still be available on Discovery Princess in February.

The Salty Dog Gastro Pub was open on the Discovery on our October Discovery cruise. 

2 minutes ago, Ombud said:

What's there instead??

When we were on the Crown in May it was also closed, it was just the Wheelhouse bar, not sure if after dry dock they converted it to another venue.

On 10/22/2022 at 9:05 AM, memoak said:

In Grand class ships the restaurant is in the Wheelhouse bar (on ships that have one). On Royal class it is a standalone. No T V in Wheelhouse

That may have changed. On our last cruise on the Grand Princess in December there was no Salty Dog in the Wheelhouse. There is now a Salty Dog Grill by the pool.

15 minutes ago, richla said:

That may have changed. On our last cruise on the Grand Princess in December there was no Salty Dog in the Wheelhouse. There is now a Salty Dog Grill by the pool.

Thats not Salty Dog Gastropub. No real similarity between the 2 other than the 1st 2 words in the name

47192331_Screenshot_20221104-190047_KeepNotes.thumb.jpg.64d9876ece3b8f1b63aa9ecf218d4c69.jpg

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 1

On 11/4/2022 at 6:56 PM, Ombud said:

Thats not Salty Dog Gastropub. No real similarity between the 2 other than the 1st 2 words in the name

47192331_Screenshot_20221104-190047_KeepNotes.thumb.jpg.64d9876ece3b8f1b63aa9ecf218d4c69.jpg

My mistake. I remember now. But there was no Salty Dog in the Wheelhouse like before. Just looking at the menus makes me hungry.

Edited by richla
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, richla said:

My mistake. I remember now. But there was no Salty Dog in the Wheelhouse like before. Just looking at the menus makes me hungry.

The Princess website only shows a few ships with the gastro pub. The Grand is not one of those. The Ruby, Crown and Emerald all do and I am happily sailing on all 3 in the next 12 months 

11 minutes ago, Kay S said:

The grill version on the deck will not have the pricey burger.

They actually did try to upcharge it at the grill at one point.  It obviously didn't take off well.

Too bad really because it's a good burger.  Much better than the hockey pucks at the grill.

Screenshot_20221106_105711.jpg

• Like 1