Salty Dog Gastropub

Ombud

So I'm looking for impressions of this specialty restaurant.  Looks like they've got some pretty good vegetarian options. Not as great as Alfredos / Gigis but still pretty good.

> have you eaten there 

> general vibe (jeans ok?)

> what's playing on the TV (sports?)

On the Emerald Princess Salty Dog is on one side of the Wheelhouse Bar (same side as the right entrance to the Theater). I believe that the Crown and Ruby Princess has the pub shared with the Wheelhouse also. It's part of Wheelhouse not a separate restaurant like Crown Grill or Sabatini's.  No dress code that I ever noticed.  We would walk through the Wheelhouse Bar when leaving the theater to miss a lot of the passengers that exit on the right side.  Never noticed a TV there on the Emerald Princess.

Edited by coo359a2
  • Like 1

Have not actually eaten there.

On the Emerald, Ruby and Crown it is located inside the Wheelhouse bar, starboard side. Seating is at not to comfortable high tables. On the Discovery and Enchanted it is located in the Piazza in the area where Vines is located on other ships. Seating on these two ships are regular low tables. It is casual dining. Jeans, shorts, and other casual dress is normal anytime.  It is open from 11am onward. There are no TV's on the Grand Class ships. In the video there does not seem to be any TV's on the two Royal Class ships that have this option. From the menu there are 3 veggie options. I is basically a bar eatery. By the way, pre-covid the cost was $12.

Edited by skynight
  • Like 1

Ate there on the enchanted in Feb.  No dress code that I noticed, I had on jeans and a polo shirt which is my standard dinner dress.  I didn't feel out of place and didn't notice anybody in there dressed any way specifically. 

I actually enjoyed the food quite a bit.  I had the lobster Mac and Cheese as my appetizer and it was really good, the burger (minus the Jalapeno) as my main was also very good, if a little smaller then I'd like, then I had the strawberries and cream for dessert.  All in all I was happy with it and even if I thought the burger a little small I did not walk away hungry.

For value at $18 I personally didn't think it was out of the norm and I would go back.

I don't think there were any TV's but if there were I didn't notice what was on them at the time.

Edited by jpom18
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We had lunch several times last Spring on the Enchanted. Liked the Beyond Burgers. Would have dined more on our summer cruise, but it was closed for technical reasons. Hope it is as good on our upcoming Crown cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have dined at the Gastropub several times.  The Beyond Meat burgers and fries are really good.

Our travel companions have had the real meat burger several times.  They also really enjoyed their dinner.

Well worth the upcharge in MHO.

Edited by LACruiser88
  • Like 1

Here is another recent video,  from the Ruby.

I think there might be differences between ships with this venue.

I notice the Crown Grill Bar piano music here.  So maybe different vibe. I can't imagine a real dress-code here.

And the presentation and look of the calamari is very different between the two.

These two guys had a not-so-great experience on a previous cruise, but had very good food on this visit on the Ruby.

1 hour ago, Wishing on a star said:

Recently saw a good review, along with other dining venues...  Pictures of the food included.  Look for the Gastro Pub in the video.  He also says that those shortribs were one of his most favorite dished onboard.

It's at 24.28. I'm ordering what she did. 

We were not happy with the service or the meal.  But, it was just after the cruises started up and our ship was 50% occupancy and the service help was lackin.

We had to wait 15 minutes to order, we waited 45 minutes to get our hamburger, which was not cooked to our order.  I did not like the hamburger and we cancelled our dessert and left.

For the price I will not go back

18 minutes ago, roxievegas said:

We were not happy with the service or the meal.  But, it was just after the cruises started up and our ship was 50% occupancy and the service help was lackin.

We had to wait 15 minutes to order, we waited 45 minutes to get our hamburger, which was not cooked to our order.  I did not like the hamburger and we cancelled our dessert and left.

For the price I will not go back

Which ship were you on?

3 minutes ago, roxievegas said:

Either the Majestic in March or the Discovery in April.  Can't remember which

I was on the Majestic in April and didn’t see a Salty Dog on board. The Discovery does have a standalone Salty Dog

Edited by memoak

17 hours ago, billco said:

Liked the Beyond Burgers. 

Not exactly on topic, but do you know if they are serving Beyond Burgers at the deck grill or do they still have their version of a "vegeburger" (aka fried paste)?

25 minutes ago, Kay S said:

Not exactly on topic, but do you know if they are serving Beyond Burgers at the deck grill or do they still have their version of a "vegeburger" (aka fried paste)?

25 minutes ago, Kay S said:

I believe fried paste. Been a long time since I have checked. Doubt the would have beyond burgers for free at the grill and charge $18 at he Gastro Pub.

2 minutes ago, billco said:

2 minutes ago, billco said:

I believe fried paste. Been a long time since I have checked. Doubt the would have beyond burgers for free at the grill and charge $18 at he Gastro Pub.

You have a point!  I guess I was hoping in vain for a decent vegeburger on deck. 😉

We went to the gastro-pub in April on the Ruby.  I won't go back.

There was only 1 other table seated at the time.

We waited 15 minutes before drink order was taken, then it was another 15 mins for our food order to be taken.  20 minutes waiting the cold cheese and breadsticks, 30 more for the food to arrive.  Then we sat and sat and sat, waiting for dessert.  All together it took over 2 1/2 hours for mediocre food, poor service and our drinks were never refilled. 

For a couple dollars more, we can go to Sabatini's.  

On 10/21/2022 at 2:32 PM, Ombud said:

So I'm looking for impressions of this specialty restaurant.  Looks like they've got some pretty good vegetarian options. Not as great as Alfredos / Gigis but still pretty good.

> have you eaten there 

> general vibe (jeans ok?)

> what's playing on the TV (sports?)

Yes, yes and there wasn't a TV.

Best food on the ship in our opinion. fabulous service too.

• Like 1