"LIVE" from Celebrity BEYOND. October 26th, 2022. 9-Night Repositioning. 1st Sailing from the USA.

PinkSandGirl

Hi!   I'm Kelly. 😃  aka PinkSandGirl 🍹  

I will be on Beyond’s first sailing from the U.S.A. 🇺🇸  on October 26th, 2022.  I guess technically it isn't the first time it'll Set Sail from the shores of the United States.  🗽 The Beyond is currently on it's way here to the USA on it's first Transatlantic that left from Barcelona, Spain.  The Beyond arrives in Cape Liberty, NJ on the 24th.  There will be two 1-night press sailings and then it's us.  Yay! 🥳

We Set Sail on Wednesday, October 26th, 2022 from Cape Liberty, NJ 🗽and embark on a 9-night repositioning cruise to take the Beyond to her winter home in Fort Lauderdale, FL at Port Everglades, with an arrival on Friday, November 4th, 2022.  Before we arrive in Fort Lauderdale we will be visiting Bermuda, Curaçao and Aruba. 

Screenshot_20221022-023628_Chrome.thumb.jpg.5988630feb88f56b52471ecff6f65cdc.jpg

I'm starting this 'Live' thread early because, well, it's a bit crazy just before travel and this lets me get it started and add to it in between the packing and checking off my checklists and To-Do Lists.  😉 ✔️

My goal is to post during the cruise and then when we return home I will give a wrap up review.  Feel free to comment and ask questions.  Also, anyone on my Roll Call is welcome to chime in as well.  

I attempted a 'Live' last year on the Equinox but the internet wasn't my friend and my good intentions to finish it when I returned,  well...it just never quite came together. So...I am going to make up for that one now. 😉

I may at times 'talk' a lot and wander a bit off topic but that's ok.  Sometimes that wandering leads to some good conversation and insight.  😉

I take a lot of pictures.  I will have to rein myself in to not post an exuberant amount.  😂  

Ok...so some background.

> Is this my first cruise since the shutdown?
No.  I sailed on the Equinox last October.  Wonderful time.  That was reduced capacity at 1,267 which was lovely.  I don't think we'll have those numbers on the Beyond.   

> Have I sailed E-class before?
No.  Only S-class ships (that I love).  I had M-class booked but the cruise shutdown happened.

> Why never E-class?
The biggest reason.  Those pesky infinite verandas turned me off.  I know people love them and I haven't experienced one but I love real balconies.  Morning, noon and night.  You name it.  There are things I love about S-class that the Beyond isn't going to have (ice topped Martini Bar, glass elevators...I'll just name two) but I'm going in with an open mind. The ship is going to be different.  It's nice when something is familiar but it's also exciting to experience something new.  That first day exploring every nook and cranny. Yay!  🥳    

> Cabin type?
Sky Suite with bed facing the water

> Have I sailed in suites?
On Celebrity. No.  I will explain why if anyone wants to know but my Celebrity cruises have either been Concierge or Aqua.  When I sailed on Royal Caribbean, I always had larger suites.  I honestly didn't think I could handle a regular cabin (turns out I could) 😂 but I had wonderful cruises in those Concierge and AquaClass cabins. - Side note. Once we tried Aqua, we decided at least Aqua moving forward.   We enjoyed Blu.

> Why did I choose the Beyond?
Over the years I looked at the Edge and Apex a few times but was never thrilled and those infinite verandas really did it.  While on the Equinox last year there was buzz about The Beyond. Particularly one day at the World Class Bar.  So, when we got home and I had those Future Cruise Booking Vouchers, there was something that intrigued me and I seriously was considering the Beyond.  I liked some of the changes and additions from her sisters and thought...'Why Not?'   Since I wanted a balcony and the Retreat was born on the Edge Class, I thought it was time.  A Sky Suite on the Beyond.  

Screenshot_20221022-023422_Chrome.thumb.jpg.98a8e160d01fc62c2f0788b172a7b29e.jpg

> When did I book?
End of October 2021

> Who's going?
My mom and dad in one cabin. My boyfriend and I in a cabin right next door.  We always book cabins next to each other.  I started cruising with larger groups that I planned but last year it was the four of us and this year, it will be the four of us again.  We travel together often. 😃  

> Cape Liberty.   Have I sailed from there before?
Yes, a few times but with Royal Caribbean and the last time was 2011.  We always sailed close to the Statue of Liberty 🗽.  Such a wonderful experience. (Hopefully the Captain gets close with the Beyond).  I think of my ancestors when they arrived in the United States of America to embark on new lives. 🇺🇸   It's also neat to go under the Verrazano Bridge.  To have driven over it many times, I had alot of family that lived in Brooklyn, it's a unique experience sailing under it.

> Have I been on a repositioning cruise?
No.  First one.  I had one booked in May 2020 but we all know what happened to them.  

> Getting to Cape Liberty.
We're within driving distance so we have a car service dropping us off.  

> How are we getting home from Fort Lauderdale?
Flying.   

* It feels a little weird leaving from one port and debarking from another. Especially since we're driven to one and fly back from the other.  I'm used to flying in before the cruise but for this cruise, we are starting our vacation the day we Set Sail. No hotel stay the night before.

> Itinerary 
BYE_KWB_CUR_AUA_FLL_282x216.webp.b6720931d25016c659b51bc683bd8233.webp

Screenshot_20221022-025550_Chrome.thumb.jpg.3db3729497fa1e4f3a6b747c6caff040.jpg

> Have I been to all of the ports before?
Yes. My mom, dad and I have.  My boyfriend hasn't been to Bermuda.  I love Bermuda. I wish we had more time there.  Such a tease.  

> Ports.
I will go into detail for each as the thread evolves. 😃 We have everything planned ourselves. No ship excursions this time. 

I will add pictures, descriptions and thoughts about food, cocktails, the cabin, ship, what we do, where we go & more!

I have enjoyed the many Live threads that so many fellow... Cruise Critic'ers or Cruise Critic-ees...have done.  😉  I've learned things, gotten to see what others do and had insight on many things.

I hope you enjoy this and maybe learn something along the way.  You learn something new everyday. 😉 I find it interesting to see what others do.  I have my 'routine' and favorite things to do on cruises and used to think that’s what everyone does.  However, we all have our own things that make us happy.   I always say - "Cruises: You can do as much as you want or as little as you want". 

So...if you join me on this journey, Welcome!  😃

Kelly 😃
PinkSandGirl 

🍹
Edited by PinkSandGirl
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 4

• PinkSandGirl changed the title to "LIVE" from Celebrity BEYOND. October 26th, 2022. 9-Night Repositioning. 1st Sailing from the USA.

Looking forward to following along.  I’ve been cruising vicariously thru live reviews since we had to cancel two cruises this Oct as my husband had back surgery.  Thanks for doing this and wishing  you a wonderful trip.

• Like 2

Thank you, Kelly, for doing this. I was hoping someone would update us as the cruise progressed.  It will be bitter sweet since I was longing to be a part of it myself but,  as you know, just cancelled. Have a wonderful time!

• Like 3

Hi PinkSandGirl,

I like your writing style and look forward to this cruise with you.  No, I won't be on it.😉

I am intrigued with your reasons for wanting to cruise on Beyond and look forward to your impressions.  Like you, the infinite verandah had no appeal to us and we love S class ships.  But we decided to give E class a try, on the Beyond, also in a SS.  In 2024.  Long time from now!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, bama4cruisin said:

I look forward to following along , even though we are on the same cruise!

We actually arrived in NYC last night to enjoy a few days pre-cruise.

Enjoy NYC.   Hope to meet you onboard.  😃

🍹

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Muushka said:

Hi PinkSandGirl,

I like your writing style and look forward to this cruise with you.  No, I won't be on it.😉

I am intrigued with your reasons for wanting to cruise on Beyond and look forward to your impressions.  Like you, the infinite verandah had no appeal to us and we love S class ships.  But we decided to give E class a try, on the Beyond, also in a SS.  In 2024.  Long time from now!

Thank You. 😃

Any questions you may have, just ask.   I like to see reviews of the same cabin type so I will definitely give my thoughts on the Sky Suite. 

🍹

2 hours ago, BarbaraB2 said:

Thank you, Kelly, for doing this. I was hoping someone would update us as the cruise progressed.  It will be bitter sweet since I was longing to be a part of it myself but,  as you know, just cancelled. Have a wonderful time!

Wish you were able to join us.  Happy to be able to give some insight on the cruise.  Perhaps we'll meet on another Roll Call in the future and get to experience a ship at the same time.  

Thank You!  

🍹

2 hours ago, danceswithphones said:

Following. We are on the 11/8 sailing.

Enjoy your sailing!      😔 Mine will be done by then but then there's the next cruise to look forward to.  🤩

If you have any questions, just ask. 

🍹

3 hours ago, vickykay said:

Looking forward to following along.  I’ve been cruising vicariously thru live reviews since we had to cancel two cruises this Oct as my husband had back surgery.  Thanks for doing this and wishing  you a wonderful trip.

Live reviews do help fill that cruising void.   I wish your husband a speedy recovery and that you are on the highs seas before you know it.

Thanks. 😃

🍹

Hi!  Testing was a question we didn't have 100% clear until a couple of weeks ago. 

> Testing for covid-19 required for this Sailing?
No, not for the majority.  There are still circumstances that people have to test but since protocols are evolving, I recommend visiting Celebrity's website.  It may take some time for them to update things, but that's where you go to see if you would be required to test.  We weren't sure though, until recently, due to Bermuda.  Bermuda changed their requirements though. So, no testing required.

> Bermuda Travel Authorization details.
They recently changed protocols and as of sailings October 25th, 2022 forward, covid-19 testing NOT required unless not fully vaccinated.

Everyone had to fill out the Bermuda Travel Authorization form and pay $40/per person.  Visa or Mastercard. This is required in order to board the Beyond in Cape Liberty. You need to show a copy during the boarding process  

It took a few days from when I submitted the application until I received the approval. 

TIP:  For any papers I need to board, I have printed paper copies in hand (that are kept in My Cruise Folder) and I have screenshots of them on my phone.   

🍹

• Like 1

Since my weekend is Packing Weekend...

> Flights by Celebrity.
Our flight was booked through them. I've used them before.  At the time of booking, I choose my seats.  After final payment, do yourselves a favor and call and ask for the flight(s) to be ticketed.  This way you have full control of the reservation and it shows Ticketed as opposed to Pending.  I also just like seeing Ticketed.  😉

> Luggage. 
I'll have two 70lb checked bags, a rolling carry-on, a backpack and pocketbook.   It's difficult to keep it to just that. 😅

I will pack for the ship as if I am flying.  Since we are only flying one way and that's home, I have to make sure my bags are under 70lbs for when we board the ship.  I can't just pack, pack, pack and then worry about figuring out the weight on the ship for when we come home.  I bring a Luggage Scale with me.   

> Luggage Tags - Celebrity 
I liked the ones they used to mail.  How exciting it was to see that envelope a few weeks before the cruise and open it up to see those Luggage Tags. 😉  I was able to still order them for my cruise last October.  They are a thing of the past now so thanks to posts from others over the last year, I ordered these plastic Luggage tag holders.  I ordered 15 of them for 4 of us. 😂

Screenshot_20221019-201809_Gallery.thumb.jpg.53385681e00d7dc5a2932b1316d4b839.jpg

> Custom Luggage Tags and Shirts
We have Our own Custom Luggage Tags - new for each trip.  We also wear matching shirts.  Yes. We do that.  😃 It's tradition.  A new color each time. Design elements: some stay the same (tradition) and some are new each cruise.  We wear them on Boarding Day.  😃 🥳👚

> Cruise Names
We have Cruise names we go by.  Not our real names. 😅   Again, tradition.  It became a thing years ago.  It's for fun.  We do use our real names as well.   Kelly is my real name by the way.  🤣    I'll post my Cruise Name the day we Set Sail. 😉

I'll post more details about packing.  I have started but more to go. 🎒

🍹
Edited by PinkSandGirl
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

What a great start to a Live post.   I pulled up a chair and will be following along.

Will enjoy hearing how you like the E-Class ships.  

Hi!   Thanks, Jim.   I consider you a Mentor when it comes to Live posts.  😉

🍹

• Like 5

Kelly - so glad you are taking the time to do this - so kind of you as it gives you less free time to enjoy your cruise.  We are on your roll call and will be on this cruise with you.  We had a Sky Suite in March on APEX - you will LOVE It - is great brushing your teeth or showering and able to see the ocean while doing so.  Sky Suite is spacious with a nice REAL balcony.  I do not think you will be disappointed.  I will be following your live reports while we are sailing - look forward to them.  Again - kind of you to take precious time to provide this service for the Cruise Critic fans.  I am sure they will all enjoy it - Celebrity should give you a discount, as I bet many will book BEYOND because of your pics and reports.  Wishing us smooth sailing and hope to see you at the Sunset Bar after embarking.  The count down continues as does serious packing time.

• Like 1

We are booked on BEYOND for the Nov 8th 5 day  cruise.  Will be following your review..sounds like it will be  a fun thread! So many creative touches already,

We have enjoyed 2 cruises on EDGE..Inf Veranda ( AQ with BLU dining) and Sunset Suite ( 4 mdr plan).  For BEYOND, we will be in our first ever suite ( with Luminae).

Looking forward to your posts!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Treacher1 said:

Kelly - so glad you are taking the time to do this - so kind of you as it gives you less free time to enjoy your cruise.  We are on your roll call and will be on this cruise with you.  We had a Sky Suite in March on APEX - you will LOVE It - is great brushing your teeth or showering and able to see the ocean while doing so.  Sky Suite is spacious with a nice REAL balcony.  I do not think you will be disappointed.  I will be following your live reports while we are sailing - look forward to them.  Again - kind of you to take precious time to provide this service for the Cruise Critic fans.  I am sure they will all enjoy it - Celebrity should give you a discount, as I bet many will book BEYOND because of your pics and reports.  Wishing us smooth sailing and hope to see you at the Sunset Bar after embarking.  The count down continues as does serious packing time.

Dennis,

Hi!   Thank You.  I figured in between fun and relaxing,  I'll update this thread while sitting on the balcony enjoying the sound of the ocean as we sail or while sipping a cool cocktail on deck. 😉

Looking forward to meeting you. Yes, I'll see you at the Sunset Bar!   Rather than with bells on, I'll say with beads on. 😉 📿

I'm excited to see the Sky Suite in person.  I love that you get direct sea views from the bed and the bathroom.  

I've been getting things ready but this weekend...it's like crunch time!

Have a safe trip to the port.

Kelly 😃

🍹

2 hours ago, hcat said:

We are booked on BEYOND for the Nov 8th 5 day  cruise.  Will be following your review..sounds like it will be  a fun thread! So many creative touches already,

We have enjoyed 2 cruises on EDGE..Inf Veranda ( AQ with BLU dining) and Sunset Suite ( 4 mdr plan).  For BEYOND, we will be in our first ever suite ( with Luminae).

Looking forward to your posts!

Thank You!   I want the thread to come across with some of my personality. 😉

I'm a little 'worried', maybe that's not the best word to use, about Luminae menus on some nights.  I tend to be more on the pickier/particular side.  There are 4 of us and I think that's more the concern.  We all have things we like/don't like.  I believe between hearing they are accommodating (not that I would be demanding or request anything crazy), the Classics available and kids menu...  I'll be good.  I also have some Specialty Restaurants booked.   I would prefer having the MDR items as an option, if needed, but I know that isn't possible on the Beyond.  Plus, there is always Blu (based on availability).   I don't think I'll go hungry. 😂 

If there is anything you would like to know once I'm onboard,  just ask.  You'll be the first sailing from Fort Lauderdale...not counting the Christening cruise.  

🍹

Pink

Thanks for being our trail guide.

Also nervous a bit with Luminae.  We like simple food. We have been happy with AQ BLU  menu  for many yrs and  loved all the mdrs on EDGE.  Our favs on EDGE were the Tuscan and Cyprus mdrs..,  Eden  Cafe ( no upcharge) for lunch and the other Cafe (upcharge..great soups, nice view)  We,d like to try the Raw on 5 for lunch if we can get a res..not possible on EDGE.

For us, its only a 5 day cruise..we won't go hungry.  Let us know if Luminae serves Prime Rib and or Lobster.

Getting excited for you!

Edited by hcat
  • Like 2