Haven dinner dress code-worried if we get upgrade

BatchawanaBabe

Our 21 day Panama Canal cruise starts tomorrow. We just flew into Seattle last night and got an email advising that our Courtyard Haven upgrade from regular balcony is pending. Now I’m worried about the dress code if it goes through since we’re here. We’re used to Celebrity’s Aqua class where men usually wear jackets in the evening and women wear fancier outfits. We didn’t bring those. Should we cancel our upgrade request and just stay in our regular balcony since we packed for that?  

Also, is it worth the additional money?  We didn’t get the beverage package since we don’t drink much. Are alcoholic drinks included? I know we get a coffee machine.  Thanks, Lia

9 minutes ago, BatchawanaBabe said:

Our 21 day Panama Canal cruise starts tomorrow. We just flew into Seattle last night and got an email advising that our Courtyard Haven upgrade from regular balcony is pending. Now I’m worried about the dress code if it goes through since we’re here. We’re used to Celebrity’s Aqua class where men usually wear jackets in the evening and women wear fancier outfits. We didn’t bring those. Should we cancel our upgrade request and just stay in our regular balcony since we packed for that?  

Also, is it worth the additional money?  We didn’t get the beverage package since we don’t drink much. Are alcoholic drinks included? I know we get a coffee machine.  Thanks, Lia

I don't think you can cancel your upgrade request.

I tried 5 days ago when an aft balcony became available and my Haven bid was pending. Wouldn't let me.

Next day my upgrade email came thru.

I am sailing with you.

Edited by mscdivina2016

DO NOT CANCEL. The Haven is amazing. The Food is amazing. You do not need fancier clothes. We just got off the NE/Canada Getaway and even though it was cold outside, many men wore shorts and T shirts to dinner in the Haven restaurant. We wear long pants and my husband usually wears a collared golf shirt or short sleeved Hawaiian type shirt to dinner but you are fine either way. We don't drink so never take the drink package ( don't need to pay the gratuities). I don't believe you get the extra perks when you get an upgrade. Sometimes the bartender just comped me a diet coke. I always tipped a buck or two. And we drink iced tea with meals.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Treasure Hunter said:

I don't believe you get the extra perks when you get an upgrade.

I would beg to differ.

I bid on a Haven Spa cabin, I expect to receive the spa benefits. I in fact won my bid and we will find out tomorrow for sure.

Even in the description of the room for bidding it talks about easy access to the Spa.

26 minutes ago, BatchawanaBabe said:

Yes, the  haven is certainly worth the extra.  We wouldn't sail anyother way.  We were on Breakaway last March and we're on Breakaway again this coming march.  You do not need a jacket and 'fancier' clothes for the Haven.  Shorts/Polo will do fine.  The only dining that requires long pant are the Ocean Blue and La Bistro specialty restaurants.  You should get a number of dinners for two included in the specialty dining.   Make your reservations with the conceirge.    

• Like 1

Just now, mscdivina2016 said:

I would beg to differ.

I bid on a Haven Spa cabin, I expect to receive the spa benefits. I in fact won my bid and we will find out tomorrow for sure.

Even in the description of the room for bidding it talks about easy access to the Spa.

When you book a spa "whatever" cabin, it comes with access to the spa, so it is not an "extra" perk. Whether you upgrade or originally book a room, you automatically get what comes with the cabin. The question are the "perks". If you upgrade, you keep the perks, you originally had. (Think purchased as you pay for any applicable tips.) If you earned double latitude points, you get to keep them. The one thing you won't get is doubled latitude points on the addition points for the Haven unless you'd originally had a Haven suite.

40 minutes ago, mscdivina2016 said:

I don't think you can cancel your upgrade request.

I tried 5 days ago when an aft balcony became available and my Haven bid was pending. Wouldn't let me.

Next day my upgrade email came thru.

I am sailing with you.

Actually the email gives us the opportunity to cancel so long as it hasn’t been accepted by them. We bid on the Courtyard Penthouse with large balcony. Crossing our fingers. See you there!

17 minutes ago, BatchawanaBabe said:

Actually the email gives us the opportunity to cancel so long as it hasn’t been accepted by them. We bid on the Courtyard Penthouse with large balcony. Crossing our fingers. See you there!

When I clicked on the email and actually got to the page, it was not clickable to cancel.

37 minutes ago, GALSews said:

When you book a spa "whatever" cabin, it comes with access to the spa, so it is not an "extra" perk. Whether you upgrade or originally book a room, you automatically get what comes with the cabin. The question are the "perks". If you upgrade, you keep the perks, you originally had. (Think purchased as you pay for any applicable tips.) If you earned double latitude points, you get to keep them. The one thing you won't get is doubled latitude points on the addition points for the Haven unless you'd originally had a Haven suite.

My original booking also included tips. I figure I will be charged $4 extra a day for Haven

11 minutes ago, mscdivina2016 said:

My original booking also included tips. I figure I will be charged $4 extra a day for Haven

No. You will be charged the tips for whatever room you were originally booked under. 

2 hours ago, BatchawanaBabe said:

shorts and polo shirt is the dress code in the Haven restaurant 

17 minutes ago, joyy7403 said:

Bids always start out as pending. When it changes to processing that’s when you’ve won your bid. Good luck!

At the moment, with all of the COVID cancellation, they stay pending until after you sail. 

Onboard Upgrades

Dear BIRDTRAVELS,

This email is to confirm that we have received your offer(s) to be upgraded on your upcoming cruise. While your offer has not been selected yet, you may still be selected for an upgrade by our onboard team.

Upgrades may be awarded at any time up until 0 hours prior to the sailing departure. Should your offer be selected for an onboard upgrade, your credit card will be automatically charged, and your stateroom will be reassigned. Please check your email up to 0 hours prior to the sailing departure to see if we were able to upgrade you.

If you no longer wish to be considered for an onboard upgrade, you may cancel your offer(s) through the link provided below up until 5 hours prior to the sailing departure, provided that your Offer has not already been accepted by Norwegian Cruise Line, and provided that your credit card has not been charged.

Your upcoming cruise

Reservation # 469922554466

Ship and Sail Date: Norwegian Prima, Soon

Summary of your offer(s):

Upgrade To: Deluxe Birdhouse

Offer $100

Total Offer: $200

Modify/Cancel (up until 24 hours before scheduled departure, or until your offer is accepted)

What happens if I’m upgraded before my cruise?

• We will notify you via email and your credit card will be charged in your booking currency for the specific upgrade offer that is accepted.
  • When you log into MyNCL you will see your new stateroom number, which has been assigned based on availability.

What happens if I'm upgraded on day of sailing?

• We will notify you via email and your credit card will be charged in your booking currency for the specific upgrade offer that is accepted. If the first payment attempt is declined, the upgrade amount will be automatically charged to your onboard account in USD, subject to the Foreign Exchange rate at that time.
  • You may stop by the Guest Services Desk to receive your updated stateroom number and pick up your new key card.

If you are not upgraded, you will keep the stateroom that you already have. You will not be billed for any additional amounts.

Good luck! Please remember that each offer on a stateroom is considered its own offer and is considered independently of one another. Only 1 offer will be accepted depending on availability and if you have submitted a winning bid.

Most bids are evaluated between 14 and 0 days before sailing. We'll notify you via email if your offer is accepted!

We look forward to welcoming you aboard.

Norwegian Cruise Line

On 10/22/2022 at 2:12 PM, Treasure Hunter said:

DO NOT CANCEL. The Haven is amazing. The Food is amazing. You do not need fancier clothes. We just got off the NE/Canada Getaway and even though it was cold outside, many men wore shorts and T shirts to dinner in the Haven restaurant. We wear long pants and my husband usually wears a collared golf shirt or short sleeved Hawaiian type shirt to dinner but you are fine either way. We don't drink so never take the drink package ( don't need to pay the gratuities). I don't believe you get the extra perks when you get an upgrade. Sometimes the bartender just comped me a diet coke. I always tipped a buck or two. And we drink iced tea with meals.

You do not get any new FAS items but you do get all of the Haven amenities.

On 10/22/2022 at 1:56 PM, BatchawanaBabe said:

BTW 'pending' just means they got your bid.  If it changes to 'processing' it means you won.

Edited by MoCruiseFan

On 10/22/2022 at 3:08 PM, mscdivina2016 said:

There are no "tips" other than on the FAS items.  Perhaps you means the DSC?  If so it can be hit or miss.  I have been charged the extra on one upgrade and was not on the other.