Orange night

Rayf1

10 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

I think I've read on this board that it is the Captain's prerogative to have or not have. I am packing a orange-print scarf and a tie for DH, just in case!

Is wearing some form of orange required, if they do have it?

7 minutes ago, Banditswife said:

The orange party is a nod to the Royal Dutch House of Orange. I saw a few people not wearing orange at the one I attended in September, but most people had at least something orange on. They had special orange cocktails, bitterballen, and some sort of eclair pastries. It wasn’t a fancy event, but fun. Some of the staff gave short speeches, and there was music. On the Zaandam it was held in the Crow’s Nest. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Banditswife said:

Absolutely no requirement at all, but if you have something, even a small item, wearing it is a sign of respect for the Dutch - the association with the colour is linked to the Royal family, originating with William of Orange, who was crowned Prince of Orange in 1544. With his leadership, the colour orange became a symbol of the Dutch Royal family. 🍺🥌

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Banditswife said:

Thanks for the enlightenment.  I had no idea what this was.  I will look for something orange to pack.

Don't stress over it. I once saw a gent with a Halloween pumpkin pin. Not sure it matched his outfit, but his heart was in the right place 😈.    🍺🥌

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

image.thumb.jpeg.9c2220c749268c332a4b011f1262f2d1.jpeg

Once a year on April 27th we Dutch have a national holiday called "Kingsday" (or Queensday on April 30th until 2014). The King and his family will visit one or two cities on that day which is broadcast on national television. The rest of the countries either spends the day on the nationwide flea market (*), one of the numerous festivals, or in bed with a hangover from partying the previous night on "Kingsnight". 

People dress in Orange, put on Red-White-Blue make-up (our national flag), dance, party, drink a lot of beer or a special alcohol drink called "Oranjebitter" the taste of which I seem to forget after a couple. Also, a lot of food is eaten from street stalls and yes, with beer we also love to have a "bitterbal" (a small meat-based snack). If you happen to visit an Orange Night at your cruise, try at least one bitterbal, the're great! (Warning: bitterballen may be highly addictive

It is just an open party throughout our country! Most people will call the Dutch "sober" or "composed" but not on this day! 

As for the clothing on Kingsday: anything orange will do!

P.s. almost forgot: the day before Kingsday the "Royal Awards" are given to around 3000 people per year for service to their fellow citizens or the nation. This can be for any kind of service (yearlong volunteer work for example) and the special thing is that you have to be nominated by other people after which a vetting proces is started. So it is not a Top-Down award but rather given as an expression of thanks by society itself. Those who are honoured get a medal and a separate special ribbon ("lintje) to signify you got the award. As a result of that, it is known as the "Ribbon Rain" ("Lintjesregen"). My father got one 10 years ago, I have never seen him prouder in my life than the day he was given one by the mayor of our town.

Edited by firsttimer1971
Added the part of the Royal Awards
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From the FAQ's on the Holland America website regarding "what is the orange party?"

Learn more about this unique Dutch celebration and prepare to get your orange on.

What’s the Orange Party?

Orange is the color most associated with the Netherlands and the House of Orange, Holland’s royal family. In keeping with our proud Dutch heritage, we invite you to a new onboard celebration inspired by the Netherland’s national holiday, King’s Day: The Orange Party. Just wear your favorite orange clothes and accessories, or purchase Orange Party essentials in our shops, and get ready for the time of your life.

What happens at the Orange Party?

Enjoy Dutch-inspired appetizers, beer, cocktails, live music and more, plus a festive display of national pride with a sea of orange!

When and where is the party?

Holland America Line is hosting the Orange Party on board each of our ships on one evening every cruise.

What attire should I pack for the Orange Party?

Pack some orange clothing and/or accessories to wear for this special celebration!

8 hours ago, firsttimer1971 said:

P.s. almost forgot: the day before Kingsday the "Royal Awards" are given to around 3000 people per year for service to their fellow citizens or the nation. This can be for any kind of service (yearlong volunteer work for example) and the special thing is that you have to be nominated by other people after which a vetting proces is started. So it is not a Top-Down award but rather given as an expression of thanks by society itself. Those who are honoured get a medal and a separate special ribbon ("lintje) to signify you got the award. As a result of that, it is known as the "Ribbon Rain" ("Lintjesregen"). My father got one 10 years ago, I have never seen him prouder in my life than the day he was given one by the mayor of our town

On our recent Rotterdam cruise we met a guy who was wearing one of these ribbons.  It really seems to be an 'award of the people' and a great honour.

• Like 1